PDA

View Full Version : Insect Bites

KeyMeKoe
2005-08-10, 00:08
After spending a hot summer night in my hennessy hammock, I woke up with as many as 25 bug bites on my left arm. My arm was bare against the bottom of the hammock and I observed no insects in the hammock. Is it possible that the bugs bit me through the bottom of the hammock or did I have a prolific biter hiding in my bed?

youngblood
2005-08-10, 08:47
After spending a hot summer night in my hennessy hammock, I woke up with as many as 25 bug bites on my left arm. My arm was bare against the bottom of the hammock and I observed no insects in the hammock. Is it possible that the bugs bit me through the bottom of the hammock or did I have a prolific biter hiding in my bed?
They can bite you if you are against the netting. Sounds like mosquittos got you from outside the hammock... maybe you had your left arm against the netting? I recall where a few years ago Hennessy changed out the fabric to something that was more mosquitto proof and even then there was some confusion about whether different types of mosquittos were able to penetrate that material.

Maybe a good spraying with permethrin a few days before your next trip would help keep them off the hammock itself... but I think a guy in Tampa thought they lived long enough to bite him through his hammock. It is not always easy to tell what is going on, sometimes our recollection of what occured is not 100% accurate. I would put a call in to Tom or Ann Hennessy and see what they say... I've only heard good things about dealing with them.

Youngblood

SGT Rock
2005-08-10, 10:42
I would imagine that there are species of Skeeters that could be big enough and tough enough to bite through the material of a Hennessy. So I guess it could happen.

peter_pan
2005-08-10, 11:38
Even the biggest skeeters can't bite the hammocker cuddled under and on all sides by an under quilt.

Pan

youngblood
2005-08-10, 12:34
Even the biggest skeeters can't bite the hammocker cuddled under and on all sides by an under quilt.

Pan
That's a good point, they can't bite through insulation... but he's talking about a hot summer night where he is trying to stay cool. Your underquilt comment did remind me that this subject came up last summer on the Yahoo hammockcamping group. You may have to be a member to view the threads, but here is a link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/messages/6409?threaded=1 . I believe the jest was that Brian, from Tampa, Florida said mosquittos were getting his bare skin when he was in his HH Expedition Asym and the permethrin spray wasn't successful in keeping him from getting bites. Don't know what brand of permethrin he used or how well he soaked the hammock but I believe it was 0.5% strength. He resorted to building an undernet, if you will, out of noseeum netting for his situation. The noseeum netting will act like insulation in that it will trap some heat and stop some of the airflow, but it is likely the least amount of insulation that will do that job.

Youngblood

SGT Rock
2005-08-10, 14:48
Sounds like an idea for a new JRB product.

Mutinousdoug
2005-08-10, 16:47
I may be wrong, as I have not tested the premis, but it seems hard to believe the nylon bed material isn't proof against 'skeeters. It's not thick enough to discourage them but it's tightly woven and hard finished.

peter_pan
2005-08-10, 17:14
We use under quilts year round...anything below 70-75 at night they are quite comfortable... above that, we "open the windows".... which will give some access to the center of the back, about shoulder blade level and bottom of the neck...quite effective for cooling...the clothes bag pillow protects the neck and the hanging sides of the under quilt protect the shoulders and arms...the foot end can be opened similiarly with only a small area of skeeter access... this really allows for cooling yet keeps the vital organ area warm and comfortable, thus normally enabling a straight thru the night sleep...one nature break excepted for the mature set.

On a trip that ranges from 60 to 80+ nights the waterproof, windproof breathable Weather Shield bottom, at 7.75 oz will stop skeeters, provide warmth for the 60-75 need... and still be comfortable to the mid 80s.

Note to SGT Rock, the weather Shield is the item you were suggesting...

Pan

SGT Rock
2005-08-10, 19:15
I rekon the weathershield would work. I was thinking of something lighter and made of just mesh for people hiking in places like Louisiana or Florida where you don't want any extra insulation at all but might have Skeeter monsters.

youngblood
2005-08-10, 19:46
I may be wrong, as I have not tested the premis, but it seems hard to believe the nylon bed material isn't proof against 'skeeters. It's not thick enough to discourage them but it's tightly woven and hard finished.
Well, this got my curiousity up so I looked at the HH site. Now keep in mine that there are a lot of different varieties of mosquittos, but start reading at the third paragraph on this link: http://www.hennessyhammock.com/sp-expedition.htm . The Backpacker Asym and Explorer Ultralight models have the tightest woven fabric and best mosquitto resistance, but there are no guarantees with bare skin against the hammock fabric. I think there are areas where the mosquittos can't penetrate the hammock fabric... but there are other areas where they can? Wouldn't surprise me if permethrin's effectiveness varied somewhat with different types of mosquittos too.

Youngblood

Mutinousdoug
2005-08-10, 23:01
I hate the little buggers, 'cause I had to spend 14 days in a VA Hospital for malaria after returning stateside from SE Asia in 1971. Couldn't be 'cause I slept in a GI hammock for 10 months, could it? I thought my 'skeeter net, permethrins and DEET would protect me. Anyway, it was better than sleeping on the ground with the leeches and termites.
Wrong again, twice in one day? Dang! :banghead:

youngblood
2005-08-11, 07:23
I thought my 'skeeter net, permethrins and DEET would protect me. They probably are... in the places and conditions you have been using them.

I haven't used my hammock in really bad mosquitto areas so I'm not sure if they could penetrate the material I use on my homemade Speer hammocks. I use 1.9 oz rip stop nylon with a Durable Water Repellent (DWR) finish and what appears to be some calendering or something of that nature that seriously restricts its breathability (its one of those fabrics that you have to suck air through to be sure it isn't waterproof). I figured the calendering is to increase its water repellency and/or its down proofness. Either way it makes it a tad warmer, but it likely makes it more mosquitto resistant... I don't think any mosquitto can penetrate waterproof material. At one time I used two layers of 1.1 oz rip stop nylon that had calendering and DWR, that probably helped even more on the mosquitto resistance. (With two layer you put insulation between the layers and it is a tad warmer even without any insulation between the two layers.) Seems like you should be able to come up with something that would be the best compromise in stopping even the worst mosquittos while maintaining the most breathability (I'm trying to say not make it any warmer than necessary). Unfortunately, you have be in 'the right area' to do the testing. A couple of things to keep in mind for hammock bed material is that they have to be strong enough to hold your weight but have enough give to be comfortable... a big part of a hammocks comfort is that the fabric has enough stretch to not produce pressure points... that is why most hammocks use some type of nylon, because of its strength and stretch characteristics.

Youngblood

peter_pan
2005-08-11, 09:50
Rock,

LA can be a problem, even in August....note the Email we received 5 days ago...

"Just spent my first weekend in my HH Ultra light backpacker a-sym
amazingly enough I got chilly during August in south Louisiana
(defiantly a new experience) I'm interested in getting an under quilt from
you"

Pan

SGT Rock
2005-08-11, 14:48
Now that is funny. I had a trip were I thought I was going to die - even at night.

KeyMeKoe
2005-08-18, 14:19
For insect bite protection, which would be better to apply to the bottom of the HH permethrin or DEET?

Hog On Ice
2005-08-18, 14:23
permethrin for fabrics - deet will eat syn. fabrics like nylon

youngblood
2005-08-18, 20:25
For insect bite protection, which would be better to apply to the bottom of the HH permethrin or DEET?
Permethrin is suppose to be used on clothing (or hammocks) and DEET is suppose to be used on skin.

T-BACK
2005-08-21, 22:46
[QUOTE= Is it possible that the bugs bit me through the bottom of the hammock or did I have a prolific biter hiding in my bed?

I don't know where you are camping but I can say with absolute certainty that mosquitos can bite through both the HH ASYM and the SPEER hammock fabrics. Permethrin has not kept me from being bitten before it kills. My wife got so many bites in her hammock earlier this summer (about 50 on each shoulder blade) she had to go to the doctor and take steriods to reduce her swelling. I'm the Brian that Youngblood was refering to in Tampa. I thought about attaching a single layer of nylon ala quilt style. Instead I am currently working on an idea that I call the NO-FLY ZONE for my ASYM. It creates a small screen room of nosee-um netting under the hammock that hangs to the ground. With the hammock lifted up and attached to its ridgeline it gives me a refuge where I can cook, take a shower, and prepare for bed. I then slip up through the bottom entry and retire without having to fight the bugs. This allows me to sleep bare skinned against the hammock, which makes camping in the heat of summer tolerable. I'm a warm sleeper and I don't like lying in a pool of sweat until I fall asleep.

T-BACK

GregH
2005-08-21, 23:20
That is a really great idea and there would be very little additional weight.

Just Jeff
2005-08-22, 00:25
T-BACK,

Seems like for the weight you might make yourself a Speer and make a bugnet like Patti's ( http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HammockCampingBugfree.html ), only a bit bigger.

Oh man. Just thought of a great idea...I'll post pics when I get it done. Man oh man I hate it when I have something to do and I get an idea!!

youngblood
2005-08-22, 10:26
Is it possible that the bugs bit me through the bottom of the hammock or did I have a prolific biter hiding in my bed?

I don't know where you are camping but I can say with absolute certainty that mosquitos can bite through both the HH ASYM and the SPEER hammock fabrics. Permethrin has not kept me from being bitten before it kills. My wife got so many bites in her hammock earlier this summer (about 50 on each shoulder blade) she had to go to the doctor and take steriods to reduce her swelling. I'm the Brian that Youngblood was refering to in Tampa. I thought about attaching a single layer of nylon ala quilt style. Instead I am currently working on an idea that I call the NO-FLY ZONE for my ASYM. It creates a small screen room of nosee-um netting under the hammock that hangs to the ground. With the hammock lifted up and attached to its ridgeline it gives me a refuge where I can cook, take a shower, and prepare for bed. I then slip up through the bottom entry and retire without having to fight the bugs. This allows me to sleep bare skinned against the hammock, which makes camping in the heat of summer tolerable. I'm a warm sleeper and I don't like lying in a pool of sweat until I fall asleep.

T-BACKBrian,

Sorry to hear that, that is a really bad experience for you wife... all of us regret she went through that. I was thinking that since the fabric on the Speer Hammocks was down proof (with the calendering) that it would also be mosquitto proof... and I had always figured permethrin would be effective. Where you on your vacation in north Georgia when you wife got bitten so bad? Did you have a similar problem in your hammock on the same night?

Youngblood

T-BACK
2005-08-22, 23:12
Where you on your vacation in north Georgia when you wife got bitten so bad? Did you have a similar problem in your hammock on the same night?

Youngblood[/QUOTE]

Youngblood,

No, we had returned and had taken the kids to Ocala national Forest in Florida. I did not get bit because I knew for sure that they could bite through my HH. I forgot my under netting on this trip so I was using my SPE. I HATE mosquitos. I swore to myself that once I got out of the Army I would never intentionally be exposed to them again. All it takes is one bite and I'm up trying to fix the situation. I guess my wife sleeps a lot more sound than I do. I would have never slept through an attack like that. Thank you for your concern. She is doing fine now and has learned a valuable lesson.

Brian
T-BACK

CanoeCamper
2005-08-24, 09:02
It may sound funny, but...
back in high school football, we used fabric softener dryer sheets to protect us from the skeeters. Go ahead and laugh, but it worked. It is a lot cheaper than constantly buying bug dope, and serves a dual purpose (at home anyway). Maybe you could stick a couple of those in strategic places inside your hammock to keep the buggers off and smell fresh in the morning.

youngblood
2005-08-24, 09:21
I saw a couple recommend those (I think it was the Bounce brand) while they were on an AT thru hike. So, I tried them on my AT thru hike. I didn't have the same results, I found they didn't work for me.

Youngblood