PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather hammock setup

Mostly Cloudy
2005-08-19, 15:34
I've been using an Explorer Deluxe. I find it far superior to a tent in the warmer weather. But I'd like to extend my usage to include the colder months. Money is my main concern. While I'd love a Jacks underquilt, I just can't afford the expenditure. I'm considering a Big Agnes bag/pad as a cheaper alternative. Will this do the job? Am I barking up the wrong tree? Thank you.

Jerry

txulrich
2005-08-19, 16:17
I've been using an Explorer Deluxe. I find it far superior to a tent in the warmer weather. But I'd like to extend my usage to include the colder months. Money is my main concern. While I'd love a Jacks underquilt, I just can't afford the expenditure. I'm considering a Big Agnes bag/pad as a cheaper alternative. Will this do the job? Am I barking up the wrong tree? Thank you.

Jerry

I've never tried the BA system, but I think as long as you can stay on the pad, you should be ok. The hammock tends to wrap around you when you lay in it, so if you were to roll a little, you could experience a wakeup call!

If you dont have a BA yet, you might look into a Speer pad extender.

Seeker
2005-08-19, 17:51
there are a lot of designs and patterns for do it yourself underquilts too, some simpler, some more complex. check the hammock camping section here for sgt rock's pattern. whiteblaze.net is another source.

Just Jeff
2005-08-19, 18:10
Check here for ideas:

http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HammockCampingWarm.html

Mostly Cloudy
2005-08-28, 13:24
Thank you gentlemen for your input. It gave me a lot to think about. I finally decided to buy the 3 season system from Jack's. I usually try to work my way up into quality, but this time I decided to just lay my money down. Thanks again.

Jerry :)

sammyl
2005-08-28, 18:49
Spent a comfortable night out below freezing in my net hammock in a sleeping bag with an integrated pad underneath me, above the hammock. The down insulation is only on the top and sides of the sleeping bag, and the pad forms the bottom of the sleeping bag. No insulation is wasted by being crushed underneath. The pad is an inflatable, thick down-filled model made for the bag. (The down in the pad retards heat loss from convection that is felt in ordinary air matresses. Made by Stephenson's WarmLite -- unfortunately very expensive, but quite warm, not so light, adjustable for cool to extreme cold).