PDA

View Full Version : Battle of the Asyms!!!

Steinberger
2005-08-21, 22:19
I am thinking about trading in my old HH. I don't even remember what it is but it isn't an asymetrical one. A freind of mine wants to buy that one from me to get his start into hammock camping and I would like totry out an asym this time around anyway. I have gotten my choices down to the Backpacker and the explorer ultralite. Is the extra weight and bulk of the explorer worth the extra space for someone who is about 5'10" and 160lbs with a big packload that he would like to store atleast some inside with him? The inside storage isn't that big of a deal though since I am thinkiong about getting a gear hammock.

Also pretty much the same question of weight and bulk vs. comfort about the hex fly vs. the regular fly? I don't know much about the hex so any info of diadvantages or benifits would be great. Thanks in advance.

GregH
2005-08-21, 23:30
There will be some stretch in ultralights so be prepared for it. I recently returned my ultralight for an Explorer Deluxe and the Hex fly (I didn't care for the amount of stretch with the silnylon).
I'm 5'10" 185 lbs. and I like the extra room in the Explorer. You probably have the Expedition 2.5 (one of the first models). I sold mine this summer to a guy who came on a canoe trip with a group of us. He loved it. I loved having an extra $50 to offset the price of a new hammock.
I haven't slept out under the hex fly (I just received it) but I did set it up in my garage. The hex fly is very big at 12' x 10' and can literally envelope the entire hammock. It will easily provide lots of room to get out from under the weather.

Just Jeff
2005-08-21, 23:56
Lots of people your size are happy with the BP UL. I'm 5'10" and 185 lbs and I wish I had a bit more room to get horizontal. The A-sym is nice and roomy, just not quite long enough for me to be as comfortable as I am in my homemade Speers. I think one size larger would do the trick...depends on how picky you are about weight.

I'd definitely get a larger fly. Haven't tried HH's hex, but I'm much happier with the JRB 8x8 than I was with the stock BP UL A-sym fly.

Hex will give better coverage over the ends, which is where wind-blown rain can come in. Squares (or A-syms) only require two stakes, which not only saves weight but also makes it easier to set up and find suitable sites in areas with lots of underbrush. Squares also may be easier to use on the ground than a hex...anyone slept under a hex on the ground?

CanoeCamper
2005-08-22, 01:09
The explorer is longer (read as more comfortable).
The hex fly is bigger where you need it (read as dryer).
It's a pretty good combination!

I was in my Safari Deluxe A-Sym during a downpour and stayed quite dry thanks to the extra coverage of the Hex fly.

Steinberger
2005-08-22, 02:02
From what I hear the hex fly is definately the way to go. Still can't decide which hammock to get though. If worse come to worse can't you exchange a hammock within ten days? I guess I could try one and if it isn't right IO can try another.

Just Jeff
2005-08-22, 02:56
There are other flies out there...MacCat, JRB 8x8, several 8x10 brands (some very inexpensive), etc.

HH may be a good option, but don't limit yourself. I've never heard anyone say they were anything but satisfied with the JRBs or MacCats.

Some pics of various models:
http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HammockCampingDry.html

dougmeredith
2005-08-22, 09:13
There will be some stretch in ultralights so be prepared for it. I recently returned my ultralight for an Explorer Deluxe and the Hex fly (I didn't care for the amount of stretch with the silnylon).

Was it stretch in the hammock or the fly that you found to be a problem?

Doug