PDA

View Full Version : hanging my hammock?!

derekool
2005-08-24, 01:20
Hello all
I am brand new to the site but am a avid camper, back packer as well as canoeing and only 17 years old!! (thanks to boy scouts, and a colorado wilderness) Any way I just discovered the world of hammock camping when I saw a Hennesy Hammock display at the boy scout national jamboree, and bought one as soon as I got home! Well one cold camping night later I still dont know how to hang my hammock properly or sleep in it right, even thought i have read through everything. I understand how to rectify the cold problem(just to exited to use the hammock and did not get the right pad) But how tight do i hang it?(blood vessel popping tight or with some slack) and which way and how far do you turn on the diagonal so as not to sleep on the ridge line?

Another funny thing is that the colorado state park rangers believe that tree huggers actualy hurt trees so I ended up hanging my HH diagonaly from the top of a pinic table shelter, awning thing, pretty goofy looking but it worked!!
sorry but the girl friend has the picture(maybe later)

thanx,Derek

Just Jeff
2005-08-24, 02:14
Hang it taut, but don't wrench it down. If you hear it popping and creaking, you're about to pop your ridgeline...so don't pull it that tight. Just make it level (actually, with your feet a little higher than your head).

Sleep diagonally enough that you're comfortable...no more, no less.

Pads are one way to stay warm in a hammock...probably the cheapest, and they leave you the option of going to ground. You might check out the SPE if you're going to use a pad.

Also see http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HammockCampingWarm.html

CanoeCamper
2005-08-24, 02:55
I still dont know how to hang my hammock properly
I hang mine kind of tight starting at about eye-level using the method I describe in the last few pages of this thread. http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=408&page=5&pp=15
It is very easy, fast, and adjustable to allow you to hang it however you like!

or sleep in it right
Head left of ridgeline, feet right of ridgeline. Wiggle around until you find the most comfortable angle.

GregH
2005-08-24, 19:35
Also, using a small pillow to support your knees is very helpful.

derekool
2005-08-25, 01:48
Finally some one can give me a good clear answer, I think this willl be helpful on the next outing or even in the yard. But i gotta get that pic up its pretty good, thanks guys!

Has any one tried using shock cord on the rain fly tie out? The fly seemed to become loose and luft in the wind when i got in? any solutions for this besides shock cord?

Just Jeff
2005-08-25, 03:13
derekool,

Use the HH tarp connections for drip strings and tie the tarp directly to the tree. When you get in the hammock, it sags, and the tarp-connectors get closer together, which makes the tarp sag. You can try shockcord...it'll work, but being able to hang your tarp separately in the rain or for lunch breaks is MUCH nicer anyway.

I tie the ridgeline lines to the trees and use slingshot tensioners on the ground lines.

More details here:
http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HammockCampingDry.html and http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HomemadeGearTarpTensioners.html

derekool
2005-08-25, 03:32
So tie the tarp (fly) to the trees... and do not use the line tensioners with the hooks that are on the hammock tie out line? Are these hook things not good enough or are the tree better? please explain aahhhh brain hurting... lol

Just Jeff
2005-08-25, 04:06
Some people say the hooks are fine...others say they get wet whenever they use the hooks. Do what works for you!

I use the hooks as drip strings and tie to the trees.

More explanation on the link above.

Seeker
2005-08-25, 11:54
So tie the tarp (fly) to the trees... and do not use the line tensioners with the hooks that are on the hammock tie out line? Are these hook things not good enough or are the tree better? please explain aahhhh brain hurting... lol

i use two tarps. the stock HH tarp is a small diamond. the larger one is a homemade 8 x 10 silnylon. weights are 6 and 13 oz respectively. if i know for certain it's going to rain a lot on a trip, i'll bring the larger tarp and put it up diagonally, just like the diamond fly. i still use the hooks that came with my HH. i made a set of tarp tensioners based on jeff's that works for me. i just put them between the tarp and the hooks. have to spread them way out, but it works fine. mostly personal preference. everyone has their own way of doing things that works best for their experience and their particular camping environment.

this is a great place to find out what others use and then adapt it to your hammock, experience level, favorite camping spots, and local weather. lots of really experienced people around this site (and i'm not even close to being one of them.)