PDA

View Full Version : Pepsi stove ?s.

John B.
2005-08-26, 11:14
I've done more than a cursory search but less than a read-every-thread search on these problems and can't find any direct answers.

Problem/question 1: the tape. I can't think of the exact name, but the high-temp flu tape. Anyway, I've noticed that after a couple of uses, the tape seems to kinda pop away or fail to adhere to the Pepsi stove. I've noticed that this seems to happen especially when I let all of the alcohol burn; in other words, when the stove becomes very hot. I don't think that it's necessarily the logo paint on the Pepsi can, either, because on one stove, I filed away the paint and on another I didn't. Still the problem occured. Is this normal? Is there a solution?

Problem/question 2: assembling the stove. The first stove I made, I was able to put the top and bottom together without making any cuts on the stove top. Don't know how I did it, but I did. Since then, however, on subsequent stoves I've found it almost impossible to get the stove top over the bottom. Is there an easy way to do this?

Seeker
2005-08-26, 16:39
never had the tape come off. not sure what kind of tape i used, but it's just the silver stuff from walmart.

can reaming-this is an easy one... glad to be of help...

the best way to do the can meshing isn't with slits. take a soup can (almost the same diameter as a soda can) and gently fit the top of the stove over the base of the can. push a little, til it's firm. you can even twist them back and forth a little, being careful not to slip and cut the bejesus out of your hands... then put it in a woodworkers vise, or metal vise with wood scraps for cushioning. make sure the two are parallell. then gently sqeeze the soda can onto the soup can base. you'll be able to see the metal stretch. only do a very little bit. open up, take it out, make sure you can get them apart, then do it again...

this makes the top can just slightly wider than the bottom one, and they go together with no problems at all...

Two Speed
2005-08-28, 09:15
Problem/question 2: assembling the stove. The first stove I made, I was able to put the top and bottom together without making any cuts on the stove top. Don't know how I did it, but I did. Since then, however, on subsequent stoves I've found it almost impossible to get the stove top over the bottom. Is there an easy way to do this?
Don't use a home made stove, but one way to deal with this is to keep a full, unopened can handy for use as a mandrel. Make your stove components the way you usually would, then pick the part that's going to be "outside" and work it gently on, then and off of the bottom of the full can. Aluminum being very malleable, the blank will flare just slighty after being pushed on and off of the full can a few times. Just don't push the blank on too far too fast or it'll jam on the full can.