PDA

View Full Version : Just because you can, doesn't mean you should

Iceman
2005-08-26, 22:43
I'm sorry, but a few of us have gone too far, way too far.

Just because something is natural does not make it good. Take uranium for instance. Naturally occuring. But not good. Mold, some is useful, most is not. Beer. A beer found rolling around in the bow of your boat after three years, is not a good beer. Do not drink this beer. (OK beer is not a naturally occuring thing, but you get my point.)

Natural does not always mean good.

And hence, the reason for this thread. I have found a material which folks are making clothing out of that I cringe over. After you return from the following link, we can continue.....

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/sf/Clothing%20Systems/PossumDown/index.html?m=pZc13celbAR2jSBgPz4oQQ

Are they out of their collective minds? Someone please tell me that this is a joke! Please! I am sorry, but in my part of the world, "dat's nasty". I have clubbed too many of those smelly, flea infested, rodents to ever consider cuddling with one around my torso or head. Couldn't do it. Ain't going to do it. Never.

Please tell me this is a joke. I think I need to go lay down...

Spice1
2005-08-26, 23:15
Hahaha, I my part of the world, I saw fifty of them splattered on the road before I saw one alive. One moved in under my house and had babies. I tamed it. Really. Fed it lettuce and it ate the cockroaches that would chase off my cats. Learned all about them, turns out ther the oldest native mammal in the americas, co-existing with dinosaurs. I wouldn't cuddle with it, but it beats baby seal fur. We should start a treehugging business selling roadkill fur. It was funny, as you were writing, I thought it was going to be ultralight uranium backpacking frames and body warmers. The idea of a possum farm though is pretty damn funny though. Those things are mean.

bird dog
2005-08-28, 00:48
That is hillarious. What are people thinking when they come up with these things?

Seeker
2005-08-28, 01:01
bird dog! where you been? (camping, hopefully!)

so as i started reading the ad, they kept referring to it like it was a synthetic material... i was hoping 'possum down' was just going to be another brand name, like turtle fur, or frogg toggs... then i got to the part about mixing it with merino wool and nylon. eww... that's just wrong...

i'll stick with my homemade fleece hat and mittens and army field jacket and field pants liners...

god... (shudder) thanks iceman... now i'm going to be up all night with the heebie jeebies... sort of like pickles, beer, and ice cream... just ain't right...

bird dog
2005-08-28, 02:39
Seeker, you guessed it....been in the woods. In fact, your neck of the woods. You know, its really beautiful on Clingamans Dome this time of the year. Laurel Falls is wonderful, and Cades Cove was teeming with life (sound like Im rubbing it in?). Ive been to the Smokies three times in the last month and a half. Im going to SW Virginia next week on the AT around Elk Garden and Fox Creek. Headed back in October to Linville Gorge and planning on doing the AT from Springer Mtn to Fontanna Dam (164 miles) in early April. Take some time off planning wars down there at the armpit of the army and hit the trail with me.

Sorry, I guess I got off track from what the original thread was. But, I cant sleep after reading that bit about the possums....

Funny that the whole possum thing should come up. I got sent on a call the other day (Im a police officer) where someone complained of having a rabid possum in their attic (people call the police for EVERYTHING now days). After explaining to the home owner that I chased bad guys and not possums we decided to call Animal Control. Animal Control said they only dealt with domesticated animals and couldnt help. The homeowner begged me to shoot the thing, but I just couldnt bring myself to do it. I left the house without really doing much, and havent thought about it until I read this thread. Wonder if the possum is still there? Maybe they will see this thread and make them a nice pair of Possum pants!!

Sgathak
2005-08-28, 17:52
The New Zealand Possum isnt quite the same as the North American Opossum.

The Possum isnt native to NZ, so its wrecking havok on the ecosystem. By marketing products made from possum, New Zealanders can turn a profit and get possum numbers down to managable numbers.

Possum fur is very soft, and when woven with wool makes for a very warm garment, with less weight for the thickness.

And just as a matter of record, how many people have said "Fox? Are they out of their collective minds? Someone please tell me that this is a joke! Please!" or "Mink? Are they out of their collective minds? Someone please tell me that this is a joke! Please!" or even "Coon? Are they out of their collective minds? Someone please tell me that this is a joke! Please!"... All of those animals, in the wild, are nastier than any farm raised possum ever got a twinkle in its eye of being.

And just as mean...............

JAK
2005-08-28, 19:59
They Shoot Possums, Don't They?

dougmeredith
2005-08-28, 20:24
Sounds good to me. I ordered the hat and gloves last week. Looking forward to getting them.

Doug

GregH
2005-08-28, 21:26
They Shoot Possums, Don't They?

A Jane Fonda fan, eh?

Seeker
2005-08-28, 23:45
Seeker, you guessed it....been in the woods. In fact, your neck of the woods. You know, its really beautiful on Clingamans Dome this time of the year. Laurel Falls is wonderful, and Cades Cove was teeming with life (sound like Im rubbing it in?). Ive been to the Smokies three times in the last month and a half. Im going to SW Virginia next week on the AT around Elk Garden and Fox Creek. Headed back in October to Linville Gorge and planning on doing the AT from Springer Mtn to Fontanna Dam (164 miles) in early April. Take some time off planning wars down there at the armpit of the army and hit the trail with me.

sure... rub it in... that's ok... (damn, i miss the mountains... and Rock just moved up there too, right after i got here... maybe i can convince him to swap...)

glad you had a good time... i thought i'd be going up over labor day, but i got snagged into helping someone plan the September rotation and can only take the weekend... it's a 13 hour drive, so i need at least 5 days to make it worth the drive... maybe over thanksgiving... still warm enough then, sort of...

my brother's a cop... he has similar funny stories about animals and such...

Lanthar
2005-08-28, 23:45
yup, sgathak, I took time to read up all that was posted on sites other than BPL and came to the same conclusion. It's not the same possum, and is causing more damage to their eco system than coyotes used to cause to cattle ranchers. I'd love some of the possum fur stuff, but will likely only get the hat and gloves, as the price to weight/warmth ratio is a little steep for me on the other stuff... not sure if the hat and gloves are worth it, but they sound nice.

dropkick
2005-08-30, 05:28
C'mon! I don't see what's the matter with this.
But then again, I've eaten rat and meal worms (among other things) and I didn't see anything wrong with doing that either.
I can't understand the reasoning behind the distinctions some people make.
If it serves a purpose and does it well, why should I care if it was cute or ugly before processing?

Sgathak
2005-08-30, 13:06
Well, you know, WASHING it just ISNT done. And I bet at least HALF of the people who wear possum fur immediatly get lyme disease from all the fleas still happily calling that hair home.

:rolleyes:

JAK
2005-08-30, 16:13
A Jane Fonda fan, eh?For some reason I thought the original book title by Horace McCoy (1935) was "They Shoot Indians, Don't They?" but it, like the movie, had nothing to do about Indians but was about marathon dancing and desperate people. I haven't read the book or seen the movie. I did once look over a book called "They shoot Canoes, Don't They?" but I didn't buy it. I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express Last Night either. I did manage to pull off a google search however. Some uses of the phrase are more serious than others.

Here is the order in which Google found them:
They Shoot Horses, Don't They?
They Shoot Pictures, Don't They?
They Shoot HBO Specials, Don't They?
They Shoot Journalists, Don't They?
They Shoot Children, Don't They?
They Shoot Gilmores, Don't They?
They Shoot Journos, Don't They?
They Shoot Zebras, Don't They?
They Shoot Elephants, Don't They?
They Shoot Fonzies, Don't They?
They Shoot Wild Horses, Don't They?
They Shoot Divas, Don't They?
They Shoot Crocodiles, Don't They?
They Shoot Women, Don't They?
They Shoot Gophers, Don't They?
They Shoot Politicians, Don't They?
They Shoot Canoes, Don't They?
They Shoot Palestinians, Don't They?
They Shoot Mad Dogs, Don't They?
They Shoot Coders, Don't They?
They Shoot Bloggers, Don't They?
They Shoot Guys Who Say "yowza, yowza, yowza", Don't They?
They Shoot Models, Don't They?
They Shoot Spider, Don't They?
They Shoot Doctors, Don't They?
They Shoot Brazilians, Don't They?
They Shoot Blue Teeth, Don't They?
They Shoot Poachers, Don't They?
They Shoot Young People, Don't They?
They Shoot Aliens, Don't They?
They Shoot Paparazi, Don't They?
They Shoot Single People, Don't They?
They Shoot Babies, Don't They?
They Shoot People, Don't They?
They Shoot Lorikeets, Don't They?
They Shoot Newspapers, Don't They?
They Shoot Harddrives, Don't They?
They Shoot Hammers, Don't They?
They Shoot Ducks, Don't They?
They Shoot Poets, Don't They?
They Shoot Their Wounded, Don't They?
They Shoot Activists, Don't They?
They Shoot Blacks, Don't They?
They Shoot Dogs, Don't They?
They Shoot Horse Racing, Don't They?
They Shoot Calves, Don't They?
They Shoot Deserters, Don't They?
They Shoot Catfish, Don't They?
They Shoot Roos, Don't They?
They Shoot Jews, Don't They?
They Shoot Interns, Don't They?
They Shoot Reporters, Don't They?
They Shoot Horse Tracks, Don't They?
They Shoot Puppets, Don't They?
They Shoot Monkeys, Don't They?
They Shoot Hippos, Don't They?
They Shoot Moviestars, Don't They?
They Shoot Pirates, Don't They?
They Shoot Traitors, Don't They?
They Shoot Gift Horses, Don't They?
They Shoot The Messengers, Don't They?
They Shoot Cars, Don't They?
They Shoot SVs, Don't They?

That's just the first 25 pages
Like I said, some are more serious than others.

p.s. They Shoot Googlers, Don't They?
Here is the best reference I found that explains the original use of the phrase by Horace McCoy in 1935. I see now the idea is that we will put animals out of their misery, but not people. Nothing much about Possums or Possum Wool. Or at least I don't think so.

http://www.citypaper.com/film/review.asp?id=2557

Verlager
2005-09-04, 23:48
Are they out of their collective minds? Someone please tell me that this is a joke! Please! I am sorry, but in my part of the world, "dat's nasty". I have clubbed too many of those smelly, flea infested, rodents to ever consider cuddling with one around my torso or head. Couldn't do it. Ain't going to do it. Never.

Please tell me this is a joke. I think I need to go lay down...I agree! This world is becoming a crueler, more unforgiving place.
Last week, I went to the OutBack SteakHouse and they had BabyBack ribs on the menu!

"Well.. no, I couldn't. I just couldn't. It would be wrong. For God's sake, this is barbaric!", I thought.

I refuse to eat babyback ribs. It just doesn't seem right. I'm putting my foot down on this one.

Lanthar
2005-09-06, 12:00
I agree! This world is becoming a crueler, more unforgiving place.
Last week, I went to the OutBack SteakHouse and they had BabyBack ribs on the menu!

"Well.. no, I couldn't. I just couldn't. It would be wrong. For God's sake, this is barbaric!", I thought.

I refuse to eat babyback ribs. It just doesn't seem right. I'm putting my foot down on this one.

"Baby, the other, other white meat" Fat Bastard (Austin Powers)

cldphoto
2005-10-03, 04:29

Hmm. You might not want to read Swift's A Modest Proposal, then...

Rage in a Cage
2005-10-03, 04:53
Swift also proposed, among other things, to make gloves and boots from the cured hide(skin). It is an interesting read, to say the least.

Verlager
2005-10-04, 00:11
Friend of mine used, when asked, "Do you like babies?" replied, "Yes, I do. I like them steamed and buttered!"

Sgathak
2005-10-04, 02:45
http://eserver.org/18th/swift-modest.txt

Verlager
2005-10-04, 11:15
I don't know. Can't knock it since I haven't tried it. Would it taste like chicken? What kind of sauce would you recommend?

New York City, like Gravy Train dogfood, makes it's own gravy when it rains. Maybe I could bottle that and sell it a condiment for children.

Frolicking Dino
2005-11-07, 12:05
Back to possum down -- I'm seeing great possiblites for a winter activity that would pay for some decent (non-possum-daown) hiking gear. With amount of road kill around here, I could market an unlimited supply of possum-down items on ebay..... that is if I can get past this little problem of barfing at the thought.

Frolicking Dino

Husko
2005-11-08, 23:45
I hit one of those on the road about 10 years ago. It was just a tiny thing. It's big glowing eyes looking up at me as I sped towards him at 80 mph.

He cried out: "Why? why are you doing this? What have I done?".

I replied "Man, I'm going 80 miles an hour, There aint' nothing I can do about it at the moment bud, sorry."

*Splat*

Now that's whats not right :) on my way home I seen that poor fella smeared all over the road. Not much left of the little guy. A few hair balls here and there.

After many minutes of thought I realized his only accomplishment in this crazy world that we try to share was a lesson most moterists have adopted already: Move out of my way or die.

I'm so selfish. i should have stopped and skinned him, and wrapped him around my steering wheel. :captain:

Satire sucks. But

Iceman
2005-12-20, 02:47
OK, Ive changed my mind. I have a couple of Possum making a nest in my wood shed, and with winter just around the corner and all, I was thinking of leaving a little food out back, with a little cod liver oil to help their mane become more supple and shiny.... There are two of them, one for each hand.

When skinning, should I leave their little noses on, sort of like a tassle or something...? Anyone have any good possum pie recipes? :eating:

Seeker
2005-12-20, 12:43
i'd cut the noses off, but leave their little hands and feets...

Hog On Ice
2006-01-15, 15:59
yet another one for this thread - I just made the mistake of trying a new flavor for Coca-Cola - Black Cherry - Vanilla - shudder blech I had to toss the remains of the bottle it was so bad.