PDA

View Full Version : silnylon sewing

jimtanker
2005-09-08, 23:35
Anyone here have any experience sewing silnylon? I have a VERY small project I would like to get done.

Any takers?

Just Jeff
2005-09-09, 00:22
More details might be a good idea...

jimtanker
2005-09-09, 00:31
I just need a piece that is 2 1/2 foot by 5 foot that is hemmed and has tieouts on all 4 corners and the center of one 5 foot end and the other 5 foot end has velcro (soft part) in 3 spots.

Yea I know, crazy sounding.

Just Jeff
2005-09-09, 00:35
Sounds like a pretty easy project. You could probably get a seamstress to do it for a few bucks...would save you the cost of shipping it to somebody to sew, too.

What's it for?

Seeker
2005-09-09, 09:26
seamstress... that was my advice too... my first silnylon project was making my own snakeskins... just one took me about 6 hours... the other took just 2 hours... didn't set any quality or speed records there...

(they work, but man are they ugly.... broken thread about every two inches... it was awful... )

jimtanker
2005-09-09, 13:11
Hmmmmmm

And here I had myself convinced that I could do it. LOL
I don't mind if its ugly either.

Is there another materiel that is easier to aquire but would do the same job as silnylon? I dont mind a LITTLE extra weight till I can get it done with silnylon.

Lanthar
2005-09-09, 15:09
Hmmmmmm

Is there another materiel that is easier to aquire but would do the same job as silnylon? I dont mind a LITTLE extra weight till I can get it done with silnylon.

Tyvek? Lot's of sites for cheap tyvek

JAK
2005-09-09, 15:17
I say just do it.

Or read through some of these projects:
http://www.backpacking.net/makegear.html

Or just ask Penny how to do it:
http://www.backpacking.net/bbs.html

Seeker
2005-09-09, 15:49
Hmmmmmm

JT- wasn't trying to talk you out of it... you CAN do it... anyone can... most of the sewing i've messed with for camping/hiking is really just what i call 'cloth carpentery'... no fancy seams or pleats. i just discovered that this was something i needed a lot more practice with, and until i find the time to do so, i'll pay to get it done. go for it!

jimtanker
2005-09-09, 15:58
Cloth carpendry. LOL. Now that I think I can do.

JAK
2005-09-09, 17:48
There is a lot you can do without a sewing machine also. Stuff like grommets and straps you can sew by hand. Long seams you can't do unless you are bored, but you can sometimes heat seal or tape them, at least until you know what you really want to build.

This tape is particularly good at being waterproof. I have used it to seal holes in my kayak where I removed my foot braces and the tape stayed on for the summer. It isn't messy and is easy to stick and unstick so its great for repairs and for protyping. A bit heavy maybe.
http://www.matsmatsmats.com/wrestling/mats_tape.html
You can get it cheaper in hockey stick tape width (1").

There are a lot of good craftspeople out there that do a lot of cross-training and if you can get them in the off-season you can usually catch a good rate. e.g. sailmakers, seamstresses, shoe repair people, sisters. I usually prototype first and then take that to them for a good laugh and then they make me something better.

Prototype - see definition below:
http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?p=9314#post9314

Seeker
2005-09-09, 17:52
well, that's what it is, isn't it? little tiny nails called stitches go into predrilled holes in this really soft plywood called 'cloth'... (just didn't count on some of the fabrics being so d#%-ed slippery!) oh, and there's this weird nail gun called a sewing machine that keeps chewing up my plywood from the bottom... (once i figured out how to keep the fabric tight, it got chewed up less, hence the second snakeskin taking 1/3 the time to make).

good luck.

dixicritter
2005-09-10, 12:03
So JT what's the verdict? Gonna give it a go?

Honestly, yes silnylon is very slippery, but if you keep the material taunt while sewing you shouldn't have the machine eating your fabric. Another good tip is to seal the raw edges of the fabric by gently running it near a flame, this also helps to keep the stray strings from clogging up your sewing machine. But be careful the fabric melts rather quickly, so keep it moving fairly fast near the flame. I suggest a smallish test piece first so you can see exactly what I mean.

Another thing is don't get in a huge hurry trying to sew it. Take it nice and slow. I found that helped me keep better control over the VERY slick materials.

Good luck and by all means post a picture or two of your finished project!

GregH
2005-09-10, 12:21
Do what JAK said regarding Lightweight Backpacker (www.backpacking.net). There are A LOT of people sewing silnylon over there and sharing their successes and less-than-successes!

Just Jeff
2005-09-10, 13:51
Oh...I didn't know you had a sewing machine. It's not tough...especially a simple project like you're talking about.

Check this link:
http://www.geocities.com/gengvall/sew/sew.html

And if you start having problems with thread breaking, don't get frustrated (easier said than done). Just figure out the reason...make sure you have quality thread and find a link on setting bobbin tension.

icedancer
2005-10-10, 16:43
And make sure you change the needle periodically. I was getting really frustrated with the thread getting knarled and knotted, with little loops sticking up along the stitching line. Adjusting tension didn't work, but a new needle fixed it immediately.

Peterpan
2005-10-14, 21:45
Anyone tried the silicone thread lube? I used it for sails, it makes the whole thread snarl thing a lot easier. I think we got ours form sailrite.

What is the best place to get great cloth? Is Stevensens the best?

bird dog
2005-10-15, 19:03
Cloth carpendry. LOL. Now that I think I can do.

JT - "Cloth Carpentry" is how Seeker refers to sewing when he is around all of his buddies......Makes him feel manly!!!!!