PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for my bug net

dropkick
2005-09-11, 08:19
Well I finally got some material to build my bug net for the hammock I'm making and got myself a "new" sewing machine from Good Will (my old one died), so now I'm looking for suggestions on how I should make it.
I drew a few of my ideas with paint and am going to post them as an attachment below.
My hammock is going to be the standard old fashioned type (side mount instead of middle mount - HH) except for having a double bottom - for putting my pad in for warmth.

Just Jeff
2005-09-11, 12:27
Check out http://www.geocities.com/jwj32542/HammockCampingBugfree.html

My opinions (and they're only that):
Option 1 - Depending on how you remove the material by your foot end, you might add enough complexity and weight to make it less desirable than your other options.

Option 2 - Easiest. You might need little pockets in the hanging corners to put something in to hold the net down in the wind...a shoe in each corner, a headlamp, etc. You can also put in a shockcord like Mirage's design.

There's a link to one by Risk that is similar to your design...he sews one side to the hammock and flops the other side over. I think that's linked on my page above.

Option 3 - If you have a double-bottom hammock (especially with a pad in the middle) your bottom is already protected. This might work better as a full-on bug bivy without the hammock if you have a need, though. You can also use sil along the bottom and get some water protection.

Option 4 - That's what the Speer uses, so obviously it works. Not sure how much weight the velcro adds over the flop-over option, but probably no more than the extra material of the other options.

And don't forget...we want pics of your final setup!!

Mutinousdoug
2005-09-11, 19:55
I drew a few of my ideas with paint and am going to post them as an attachment below.

Dropkick,
I slept under a rig like you describe in the 2nd from the top pic while in the Army in 1970. I had a GI hammock and bugnet made for a GI cot which was 2-3 times more netting than necessary.
It worked pretty good keeping the mosquitos out of your face. I wondered at the time why the little buggers couldn't seem to figure out how to fly under the net and crawl into bed with me. Of course, when I came back from RVN I had contracted a case of malaria, so I'm not your poster boy for THAT design. A squeeze bottle of 100% DEET and a 16oz can of aerisol GI strength Raid was our constant companion as well.

titanium_hiker
2005-09-11, 22:46
second one down is like mine- sometimes it feels a little bit insecure, and I wonder how it would work with noseeum (I currently have stiff veil stuff) - shock cord sounds good, or some elastic even- you don't want to get tangled in case you need to get out quick, but you don't want the bugs in.

oh yeah- ridgeline on the inside lets you use it to hang stuff on..

titanium

jimtanker
2005-09-11, 22:57
I just got one of these:(Hammock Bliss) (http://hammockbliss.safeshopper.com/20/cat20.htm?88) from the PX the other day. I am working with my Poncho to see how I can get it to cover the hammock enough to make it woth using. Thats why I had the wierd posts earlier about making something out of silnylon.

It works pretty good for a $45 hammock. It has a zipper opening which I think I will be replacing when it breaks. Replace it with velcro I guess. Anyone want one of those Hammock Bliss hammocks for $45 let me know.

youngblood
2005-09-11, 23:19
I use to think I had a handle on mosquitto nets for hammocks-- just use the Velcro arrangement... but some folks are reporting that they are getting bit through the hammock fabric in hot conditions where mosquittos are prolific even when they use permethrin on the fabric. They can't bite through insulation but when it is 80 degrees you'll sweat more with insulation so you don't want to have to use it. I also recall someone mentioning that in heavy mosquitto areas that some mosquittos got past the draping mosquitto nets. I don't have any plans right now for being in prolific mosquitto areas in hot weather, but if I did I might want to add a bottom side mosquitto net as well that also used the Velcro to get a reliable seal. They make a Velcro One Wrap tape ( http://www.textol.com/products/ties.htm ) that has hooks on one side and loops on the other. I have sewn several 4 inch pieces on the edge of a shaped undercover that I have experimented with and I think the Velcro One Wrap tape might have potential for an under bugnet. It would allow you to still use the existing Velcro on the hammock and upper bugnetting. I just sewed it to the edge of the undercover, it was 3/4" wide tape and that left 3/4" on one side and about 1/2" on the other side of the tape that overlapped with the undercover... it wasn't as hard to sew as I feared it would be.

Youngblood

Seeker
2005-09-12, 00:52
Well I finally got some material to build my bug net for the hammock I'm making and got myself a "new" sewing machine from Good Will (my old one died), so now I'm looking for suggestions on how I should make it.
My hammock is going to be the standard old fashioned type (side mount instead of middle mount - HH) except for having a double bottom - for putting my pad in for warmth.

i made my daughter a hammock a few months back... followed Risk's design, mostly. sewed one side of the skeeter netting in between the two layers of nylon... ran a nylon cord from head to foot, like the HH for the net to hang over and for her to hang a light on. made a longish tube on the free-hanging side of the netting, sort of like pockets, but with several openings, so i could put stuff in to weight the net every couple feet. a sleeping pad fits between the layers. the biggest difference with Risk's was the 'knot' at the head and foot. i didn't use one. just folded the end under, sewed across it about 4 time, and ran the ropes through the resulting sleeves... am thinking about trying it with a stick inserted through each end, with the ropes tied to them, to see if it's less confining (she didn't like it as much as my HH, but it was REALLY hot the night we tried it out... don't think it went under 85... and unlike me, she hates the heat.)

sorry i don't have a digital camera... looks pretty much like Risk's though, 'cept for the ends...

titanium_hiker
2005-09-12, 09:27
youngblood- (and others) the double bottom will hang a little loose from the rest of the hammock (well it should) and thus negating the mosiquitos bitting through the hammock stuff.

titanium

youngblood
2005-09-12, 09:58
youngblood- (and others) the double bottom will hang a little loose from the rest of the hammock (well it should) and thus negating the mosiquitos bitting through the hammock stuff.

titaniumThat depends on how you make it. And don't forget that the inside layer is probably going to stretch until you make contact with the second layer (at least mine does) if you are using two layers to hold pads in place. I do agree that two layer hammocks will help the mosquitto issue but they are talking about hot weather and the two layer hammocks does add some warmth. They were also talking about prolific mosquitto populations... in those conditions if you give them all night some of them will likely discover any weakness in your defense and make you pay.

But even though I have my doubts, I haven't tried one in those conditions (and don't want to) so I don't really know. It is a good thought you had, it is the kind of thinking that leads to solutions. I had thought material that was down proof (like the calandered 1.9 oz ripstop nylon with DWR that is used on the standard Speer Hammocks) would stop them, but that wasn't the case in the Tampa, FL area of the USA for a friend of mine. His Hennessy Hammock didn't pass his mosquitto test either. Apparently not all mosquittos have the same limitations in what they can get past and it is not feasible to test them against all types of mosquittos.

Youngblood

Rosaleen
2005-09-12, 13:45
Youngblood-

Which Hennessy models did you and your friend have "bite through" problems. The Brighter green, non-ultra light ones have a less dense weave than the ulralight models. I've not had a bite through problem with UL models, knock wood.

Rosaleen

youngblood
2005-09-12, 16:21
Youngblood-

Which Hennessy models did you and your friend have "bite through" problems. The Brighter green, non-ultra light ones have a less dense weave than the ulralight models. I've not had a bite through problem with UL models, knock wood.

Rosaleen
Rosaleen,

I didn't have the problem, I've been in mosquitto areas in a hammock (mostly my backyard) but I've never been in an area where they were prolific when I was hammocking. I have had the displeasure of that experience when I was tarping with a single point mosquitto net however, so I know what it is like... there are literally literally hundreds if not thousands of mosquittos trying to get to you all night long.

This is the link to the discussion we recently had, it would probably be best if you read through the entire thread: http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1327&highlight=mosquitto .

Youngblood

titanium_hiker
2005-09-13, 16:54
I guess I've never been sleeping out anywhere near that hot... so I guess I'm not qualified to speak up- But I can see how a whole bug tube would be cool.

titanium