PDA

View Full Version : New stove --called the SST. looks like a jet engine!!!

tinny3
2005-09-11, 12:09
I am Tinny the owner of Minibull Design a website devoted to alcohol stoves. I sell stoves and ultralight gear at www.minibulldesign.com. I have a video of a stove design I just invented I call the SST I would like to share the video with you. This in not in any way a sales pitch or promotion for this stove and this stove is not for sale at this time. The stove is constructed from two energy drink cans and has no internal parts. There are two jets and one thumbscrew with a crimped rivernut to close the fuel chamber. It is burning Heet gas additive which was purchased from a local convenience store and is made up of pure methanol. The stove is setting on a cement block and is free standing with nothing attached. This is the real thing with no tricks and has been fueled and burned many times with consistent performance and will boil 16 oz of water in 3 minutes. Total burn time is 5 or 6 minutes. The design recycles the heat from the flame back into the stove body and super heats the fuel. Here is the link to a 30 second video of the stove cooking
www.minibulldesign.com/video/sst.wmv

dixicritter
2005-09-11, 12:15
Tinny thanks for sharing. Looks like quite an impressive stove.

I just have one question (not meant to offend) about what you are calling this stove... Isn't there already a stove on the market with the name jetboil? I wouldn't want someone to get ya on a copyright problem (that is if the other company has the name copyrighted). Just curious.

Again thank you for sharing the info. :)

tinny3
2005-09-11, 16:26
I call it the SST

JAK
2005-09-11, 16:36
I call it the SSTAs in SuperSonicTeapot.

Well done by the way. Thanks for the video.

dixicritter
2005-09-11, 17:16
Neat name tinny... what's it stand for? Looks like that thing really rocks! :)

ps. I edited the title of the thread for ya too. Hope that's ok.

jimtanker
2005-09-11, 22:12
My only worry would be burning a hole in the bottom of my aluminum cook pot. Oh well, I have been wanting a titanium one anyways. LOL

tinny3
2005-09-11, 22:49
I was thinking Super small Tornado

tinny3
2005-09-11, 22:50
super small tornado

tinny3
2005-09-11, 23:01
I have used this with my Heiniken pot many times and it hasn't even discolored the inside yet . But if you boil it dry it will punch a hole quite fast. The design also requires that the stove be built with nothing aluminum sticking up where the jets can hit it or the stove will melt. It also will melt aluminum brazing rod if you use it to attach anything inside the rim. I really appreciate the interest and conversation you guys and gals have supplyed me. This is why I posted it. It gets pretty boring with no one to share your thoughts with. And alot of people think I am some really devious buisness man trying to get free advertising. I really do get bored and lonely. The soda can buisness is a lonly place and alot of people just want to steal your ideas and use you or just run you down for kicks because they are jealous I guess. Have a great day---Tinny--

tinny3
2005-09-12, 08:24
I know you guys are probably thinking he has got to have a line running to that feeding it something --I know I would be thinking that --so here is the real deal with it running in the air on a plate held with a pair of plyers. Dam this is fun!!!!

http://media.putfile.com/SST-no-tricks

arctic rambler
2005-09-12, 09:12
Great stoves! Where can I obtain threaded rivet nuts and matching thumb screws?

tinny3
2005-09-12, 09:31
There are alot of different grades of rivetnuts and alot of them won't take the heat. others won't stand up to being crimped firmly and will strip out others have loose threads. The good ones come from Mcmaster Carr and cost about 25 cents each in lots of 25 pieces. The thumbscrews are the same price. They are installed with a special tool that looks like a giant poprivet gun and takes an attachment that screws in with a lefthand thread

JAK
2005-09-12, 11:48
I know you guys are probably thinking he has got to have a line running to that feeding it something --I know I would be thinking that --so here is the real deal with it running in the air on a plate held with a pair of plyers. Dam this is fun!!!!

http://media.putfile.com/SST-no-tricks

Ah, it's all done with mirrors. :biggrin:

No smoke though. :tee:

jimtanker
2005-09-12, 19:10
I think that when you get it all up and running you are going to give the multifuel stoves a run for thier money. Just think, right here on Rock's web site, a new stove is going to hit the market and change the world.

Are you thinking about you selling them anytime soon? How much you thinking?

deadeye
2005-09-12, 20:14
Neat, but noisy! Whatever happened to silent alcohol stoves that didn't roar in the dark? :bawling:

Lanthar
2005-09-12, 22:03
I have used this with my Heiniken pot many times and it hasn't even discolored the inside yet . But if you boil it dry it will punch a hole quite fast. The design also requires that the stove be built with nothing aluminum sticking up where the jets can hit it or the stove will melt. It also will melt aluminum brazing rod if you use it to attach anything inside the rim. I really appreciate the interest and conversation you guys and gals have supplyed me. This is why I posted it. It gets pretty boring with no one to share your thoughts with. And alot of people think I am some really devious buisness man trying to get free advertising. I really do get bored and lonely. The soda can buisness is a lonly place and alot of people just want to steal your ideas and use you or just run you down for kicks because they are jealous I guess. Have a great day---Tinny--

Yeah, I can see that punching a hole in the bottom of a non-water filled can. As long as there is water in it. No problems...

I wonder if you could deform a penny with the flame that's putting off...

btw, if the noise actually the burner? or just static from your camera?

I'm jealous of your shop as well.

blackdog
2005-09-14, 14:38
How loud is the stove compared to others? The video sure scared the cat... :)

tinny3
2005-09-15, 15:28
The SST stove is about as loud as an MSR dragonfly but I am working to quiet it down. i have installed a baffel to improve the flame pattern and slow the burn rate--Watch the PUTFILE video

http://media.putfile.com/Picture-19429

tinny3
2005-10-14, 23:27
http://minibulldesign.com/myadventure/media/1/20051014-nion%202.JPG http://minibulldesign.com/myadventure/media/1/20051014-nion6.JPG

I have been working on another stove. This one will boil 16 oz of water in a slow 12 minutes but unlike most of my stoves this one will do it on 14 ML of alcohol. You can also adjust the flame pattern size by turning the thumbscrews. If filled with 1.oz of fuel it will burn for about 30 minutes. This one is also completely silent.

SGT Rock
2005-10-16, 11:25
Now that is cool.

JAK
2005-10-16, 12:30
If you only wanted to use 1/2 oz at a time, could you build one of these stoves in a lower profile, like say only half the hieght? What if you made it so low that the top and bottom rounded bit touched in the middle? What if you went even further and cut out a hole in that rounded bit on the top and bottom so you ended up with a donut stove, and the incoming air came up from the center?

tinny3
2005-10-16, 17:37
I could make it a little shorter but that would make it very limited. And only save about 2 grams. The doughnut idea would be hard to make airtight but this does give me some ideas to work with!

tinny3
2005-11-05, 16:20
http://minibulldesign.com/myadventure/media/1/20051104-Iso%20proto.JPG

http://media.putfile.com/MiniBullDesign-ISO-stove-Video

I have been at it again. This stove is burning rubbing alcohol that is 70% ISO i have a putfile video of it in action. As always turn your speakers down because the video is loud. The stove is really quite quiet but for some reason the video came out loud. You can buy rubbing alcohol anywhere for pennies. This should put the search for special fuel to bed for good.----Tinny---

SGT Rock
2005-11-06, 09:42
Does i burn really hot or something to prevent the extra soot problems with ISO?

tinny3
2005-11-06, 15:36
Yes it burns very hot and uses alot of fuel but it will boil 16.0z of water on my test bench in under 3 minutes.

Lanthar
2005-11-07, 15:07
He's not put ISO-Heet in it that I can tell... It will be interesting to see it tested with ISO, Meth & Eth to see if it burns on all three... makes for a super flexible set-up.

tinny3
2005-11-07, 15:38
I just tried burning meth in the ISO with the primer pan lit and on my bench I boiled 16.oz of 68 deg water in an amazing 2 minutes and 11 seconds. I think that is a record but it really is hard on the stove and I wouldn't recommend doing it on a regular basis because it deformed the top some. It will work fine with just a little fuel in the pan to preheat it.

tinny3
2005-11-09, 08:53
I have tried ISO HEET in the new ISO stove. This stuff is 99% pure Isopropyl. In a nutshell It doesn't burn clean but if you dilute it to 70% iso and 30% water it burns great. That is just turning it into rubbing alcohol the expensive way. But in a pinch this would work great and is just one more fuel it can use in a long list. Iso rubbing alcohol-70% or better--methanol--ethanol--ISO heet---140 proof or better vodka or Saki--Denatured alcohol--HEET in the yellow bottle--Metholated spirits--Is there anything i have forgotton? ---Tinny--