PDA

View Full Version : Bannocks

weekender
2005-09-12, 07:51
Ive heard people in this forum talk about Bannocks i have some small knowledge of these but no luck in finding a good reliable reciepe to work from.
Can any body help??? :confused:

JAK
2005-09-12, 08:26
The hard part is cooking bannock in the woods without a heavy frying pan, but it's basically half way between a pancake and a scone. I haven't cooked bannock or scones outside yet. The real art is maximizing the flour and water and minimizing the other incredients and still being able to mix it and cook it without making a mess. You can always add sugar and butter later.

Here is a recipe:

http://www.twobay.com/bannock.htm

6 Cups of flour
1 Cup of lard (or bacon fat or vegetable oil)
3 Tablespoons of baking powder (or baking soda and lemon powder)
1 Tablespoon of salt (optional)
2 Cups of currants or raisins (optional, as is honey)
3 Cups of water (you can add some skim milk powder)

It would be interesting to come up with a recipe that would work in the bottom of a mess cup, and still pop out. Taste is the least of your worries. Everything tastes good in the wild. :viking:

Maybe:
1/2 to 1 Cup of flour
1/2 to 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 to 1 Teaspoon Lemon Powder (citric or tannic acid)
0 to 1 oz of honey
1/4 to 1/2 Cup Water
1/2 to 1 oz Vegetable Oil
(covered of course)

Cutting the oil back is the hard part. In winter you could start with an ounce slice of bacon diced up and then once the fat has melted add snow so that you get the 1/4 to 1/3 Cup of water and then add the rest of the incredients on the fly. You can take the bacon meat out and eat it or leave it in. It's easier in winter because you can eat more fat. I think a small wood stick hobbo stove would be ideal for this and you could set the mess cup right down inside on the hot coals once the volatile fire has died down. Make sure some of the spruce sticks are thicker so you get some good coals. You can warm your hands as it bakes 5-10 minutes. When you are finished baking and pop or pry or dig the biscuit out a strong cup of coffee or tea should help clean out the mess tin and you can eat the biscuit while drinking the coffee. :tee:

Rosaleen
2005-09-12, 13:42
JAK-

If you are willing to carry a few of those disposable muffin/cupcake liners, you CAN cook muffins or biscuits in your cup. Put a "riser" under a foil liner inside your cup, with a bit of water underneath the liner. I've done lots of muffins this way over the years. For the "riser," use about 1/4" wide strip of soda can wall bent into a circle, "W" or "Z" shape. Cover the strip with water and place the liner on top. I've had good luck with filling the liner inside the cup about 2/3 full with Jiffy or other muffin mixes, then adding just enough water to make a thick batter. Usually, by the time my tablespoon of alcohol burns off, the water is about gone and the muffin is done. Biscuits done this way will be wetter and have a different texture from dry baked biscits, but as it's been said, "Everything tastes good in the woods."

Rosaleen

PKH
2005-09-12, 14:12
Bannock is actually one of those breads that keeps a long time on the trail. I find it simpler to make it at home, and lug the finished product with me. The weight is the same, and it is a hell of a lot more convenient.

Cheers,

PKH

JAK
2005-09-12, 21:15
Rosaleen,
Thanks. You saved me a lot of trial and error. Dam you. :)
No worries though. I still won't get it right and when I do I'll change it anyway. :trytofly:

PKH,
Thanks.
I will probably bake some at home - rock hard for cheap and light travel.
I will also make some in my travels, because its fun and passes the time.

Kea
2005-09-12, 23:31
Are there any recipes of this sort that both keep well and are much lower in fat content? My liver is extremely touchy on the fats issue, and every delicious trail bread recipe I've attempted has ended with me unable to actually eat any of it. Now the kids LOVE it when that happens. LOL

Seeker
2005-09-13, 01:56
Kea,

this is kind of a neat site... basically mountain man/french and indian wars/longhunters reenactors... they have a lot of hardtack recipes on this particular page, which is some pretty easily-reserved stuff, with little fat. i've only tried the parched corn recipe and one guy's jerky recipe. both worked ok. have been meaning to look at hardtack as a bread replacement for a longer trip... so FWIW:

http://www.historicaltrekking.com/foods/

KLeth
2005-09-13, 02:26
We frequently bake when hiking - Frying bread in oil.
We take our largest TI-pot, put three small rocks (avoid flint since it explodes) in the bottom and place our small TI-pot upon those. When the tid is placed on the outer pot it makes a nice makeshift oven.
Same principle ought to work in mug ect. using a form

PKH
2005-09-13, 08:06
http://hikinghq.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=221&stc=1
Irish Soda Bread.doc

http://hikinghq.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=224&stc=1
Logan Bread.doc

These breads aren't for making on the trail, but they keep for a long time and are delicious.

PKH

weekender
2005-09-13, 10:17
Thanks everybody will be trying these out soon will let you know what happens. i use a billy can so with a 'riser' in the bottom and the disposable muffin liners sounds like a good plan,not any more noticable weight only a few extra ingredients. :elefant: