PDA

View Full Version : Raw or organics food folks?

Smile
2005-09-14, 20:30
I'm not a veg. but like to eat organic or raw food as much as possible (need to get a sushi guide for the mid atlantic, somehow I suspect nothing to close to the AT) anybody else eat like this and find it's nearly impossible to manage?

Sgathak
2005-09-17, 02:03
I find that eatting FRESH and organic to be a hard mix on the trail. Dried organic is easily doable. Raw food is easier if you know how to forage (easier out west).... Some dried organic fruits and veggies, some organic pasta, and some organic beef and turkey jerky (make it at home to save $$$$$ and reduce salt content). Toss in some fresh fruits and veggies to mix it up and gain some "whole food" benefits....

The thought of Sushi (sashimi actually) makes me ill, so I got nothing for you there.

JAK
2005-09-17, 08:41
I love raw food. I understand you have to be very careful with eggs and meat and seafood.

As far as the trail goes, it is east to keep in touch with your wild side with just a few of the following:
1. Maple or Birch sap in Spring
2. Apples and Berries, of course, in Summer
3. Acorns and other nuts or seeds in Autumn
4. salad made from dandelions greens and flowers
5. coffee made from dandelion root
6. tea made from cedar bark and leaves
7. tea made from birch bark and twigs (wintergreen)
8. chewing on grass and certain flowers as you hike, looking for a sweet taste, and avoid anything bitter. Of course use a guide book and learn close to home and then stick with what you know and quantities that you know you can manage once you are on the trail. Avoid overgrazing scarce natural plants of course.

I find all of the above go very well with a food supply which is made up primarily staples of Oatmeal and Skim Milk Powder with some vegetable oil, plus Honey, Raisins to make up for the fact that berries are likely to be in short supply and you don't want to make to much of a pig of yourself anyway.

If you really want to get adventurous sushi wise:
1. Ants
2. Crickets
3. Earth worms
4. Grubs (stuff found in rotten logs)
5. Frog legs
Again, some of this stuff doesn't like to get eaten, and might kill you so you have to know what you are eating and try it at home first. Quantities can also make a difference. Most ants can be eaten alive I understand. Earth worms and Crickets are usually fried until crisp. Grubs have to the the gormet once you know what you are into. Stuff like salamanders would most likely be poisonous I think, especially ones with attractive colours to remind predators what happened last time.

I wouldn't count on a lot of calories from foraging. The main advantage of foraging for survival purposes in my opinon is that your brain cells need glycogen. All the other cells of the body can metabolize fat. Your body can turn protien and carbohydrates into glycogen but not fat. So if you are starving and you eat protien and carbohydrates you will save your body from having to tap into your protien reserves in order to keep your blood sugar up and your brain functioning. Again, don't be a pig. Save some of those mealy worms from the next guy. :biggrin:

Rosaleen
2005-09-17, 09:13
Jak-

If you wish to add to your repertoire of wild foraged foods: Sorrel leaves are a good source of Vit C and likely nutrients, as are pine needles and rose hips (last two as tea). Watch the quantities of birch (and willow) tea, especially if you have medical conditions for which you take or are sensitive to aspirin. Birch and willow contain salycilates or compounds that form them. Aspirin is acetylsalicylic acid, a refined compound first made from willow bark, IIRC.

I'd not necessarily eat these raw, but consider eating:

thistle stems like stewed celery;
early spring fern "fiddle heads;" (gourmet, very expensive in stores then)
green milkweed pods;
crayfish tails (similar to tiny lobsters or langostinos)

All of the above I tried with my kids when they were young enough to be adventurous. (As teens and now adults, "Forget about it!") We had just been to a lecture with a park naturalist who talked about safe wild foods. He also said that Queen Anne's lace is relaed to carrots, and the roots might be edible. Then I read NOT to eat them. A very small amount MIGHT be OK in a stew. It didn't kill us.

More foods I've read/heard about but we've not tried:

Cat tails: pods when green and immature, boiled, or roots in early spring or late fall, also boiled. I've read that skunk cabbage is edible when boiled in several changes of water. The smell is a bit off-putting, to be sure.

An aside about the cat tail leaves. If you have all day to fool around with a project, you can roll cat tail leaves into ropes that can then be woven into chair seats, bags, etc. For long term use, the leaves should be dried first, then dampened enough to be worked. But, for a temporary swing seat, or a demo for kids, I've gotten the green ones to work just fine. I imagine the seat got moldy and/or smelly after a while, but it was great for the weekend.

Rosaleen

Mutinousdoug
2005-09-17, 18:18
More foods I've read/heard about but we've not tried:

I've read that skunk cabbage is edible when boiled in several changes of water. The smell is a bit off-putting, to be sure.

Rosaleen,
Just a note on the skunk cabbage: when young, death camus leaves can look very similar to skunk cabbage. Eating these has proved for some to be very off-putting; the name is not an exaggeration so a positive ID is in the forager's best interest. Of course, as JAK noted, the same goes for worms, acorns, mushrooms and anything else you are going to be eating enough to sustain yourself on.

JAK
2005-09-17, 18:29
Thanks Rosaleen,

We eat alot of fiddleheads here in the St. John River Valley every spring. They are wonderful with butter or vinager and nutrionally similar to spinach. Great with trout or salmon and new potatoes. They were a major food source in the Spring for the Malecite and early settlers.

Wood Sorrel I enjoyed as a kid and just had some the other day with my daughter. Love the taste. In large quantities I understand it can make a small children sick, but it is safe in small quantities. As children we never seemed to overconsume but we were forever grazing looking for something sweet or sour but never bitter. We used to call wood sorrel clover as children, but it was wood sorrel. We used to call white and red clover flowers honeysuckle. When you are 4 years old, 8 year olds are sages full of ancient lore all to themselves. :)

Rosaleen
2005-09-17, 18:49
MD-

The skunk cabbage didn't have much appeal to begin with. You hag=ve shared anothe reason to pass it up.

Thanks!

Rosaleen

Smile
2005-10-09, 11:38
I guess I was thinking more raw stored foods, such as nuts, carrying "keepers" for a few days like avacados and dehydrated foods and raw dehydrated "crackers". I'm doing a shakedown hike this weekend, will see how it goes for just four days.....