PDA

View Full Version : Iso-Heet vs. Heet

jimtanker
2005-09-28, 18:14
Is Iso-heat in the red bottle the same thing as Heet in the yellow bottle? If not, whats the difference? Thanks.

Iceman - talk at you later in person tonight.

Two Speed
2005-09-28, 19:01
Quick answer:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9725&highlight=heet

Page down to Post #5

If you'd like a more detailed discussion I know there's a pretty long one on WhiteBlaze, and there may be one here on Hiking HQ.

Good luck.

Hog On Ice
2005-09-28, 21:14
Is Iso-heat in the red bottle the same thing as Heet in the yellow bottle? If not, whats the difference? Thanks.

Iceman - talk at you later in person tonight.

Short answer: avoid Iso-Heet unless you have no other choice - it burns incompletely in almost all stoves and produces a lot of soot. Both Iso-Heet and rubbing alcohol use the same form of alcohol - isopropyl alcohol aka isopropanol whereas the yellow bottle Heet is methanol (methyl alcohol).

JAK
2005-09-29, 10:35
Iso-Heet is isopropanol, which has 14,000 BTU/pound but does not burn very well. Higher boiling point etc. Less volatile and so slower and harder to get complete combustion. This should be solved by somebody.

Heet is methanol, which has 10,000 BTU/pound, but burns fast and completely and safely (lower liquid temperature). Unburned methanol fumes are dangerous, but the products of combustion should br pretty clean.

Methanol = C-H3-OH
Ethanol = C2-H5-OH
Propanol = C3-H7-OH

Hog On Ice
2005-09-29, 11:24
Iso-Heet is isopropanol, which has 14,000 BTU/pound but does not burn very well. Higher boiling point etc. Less volatile and so slower and harder to get complete combustion. This should be solved by somebody.

I did once upon a time come up with a stove that could burn isopro cleanly - unfortunately it wasn't a particularly safe stove as I built it. Basically make a highly pressurized stove with small jet(s) - strong turbulent flow out of the jet(s) - the stove should sound like a whitegas stove when it is burning. The one I put together had one jet and I used a tea candle preheater under the can - I was able to get a 4-6 inch clean blue flame using Iso-Heet - at least I was until the can came apart and destroyed my pot support - sigh - its my opinion that you need something similar to a whitegas stove to get isopro to burn cleanly.

Note if anyone wants to experiment with this type of stove do so outdoors in the middle of an unburnable area at least six feet in diameter - this is what I did and thus there was no accidental damage to anything other than the stove components themselves.

SGT Rock
2005-10-04, 17:47
I think it would be fun to play with a isopro burner. I could make the support from Ti to keep it from melting away.