PDA

View Full Version : treeless pitch

greggg
2005-10-02, 14:34
Thanks to Sgt. Rocks webpage, I bought a HH A-sym this year and couldn't be happier with it - what a great nights sleep, lighter than my UL tent and not much more than my tarp and ground sheet. Anyway, what I'd like to get some additional input on is pitching the hammock when there are no trees. I've looked at Sgt. Rock's pitch on the website, but I can't seem to get this to work right. I need at least two lines on the hiking sticks to keep them from flipping over to one side or the other. Also I either get it too tight so when I lay down I put pressure on the raised up ends and rip the tent stakes out, or if I give it more slack, the netting is only a couple of inches above the ground. If anyone has any tips on how to set up the HH asym on the ground like a tent, I would greatly appreciate it. Also, has anyone tried it this way in the rain? How did it work?

The hammock is so comfortable that I prefer to take it for all my backpacking trips, but I need to work out what I'm gonna do if there are no trees (planning a trip to Alaska next year and a lot of the pictures I've looked at look pretty treeless!)

titanium_hiker
2005-10-02, 18:34
hmm... good question! what I have seen on my travels round the net, is the storm pitch. you peg the three corners down, and put the other corner on the first pole. I guess using the second pole for the hammock would stop the sag issue- also, is the hammock on the ground, quite slack, or is it like a hammock(suspended) still?

titanium

titanium_hiker
2005-10-04, 09:49
some people will say: "So take a tent" but what if you can't afford two shelters...

titanium

greggg
2005-10-04, 11:14
the hammock is on the ground with each end up in the air a little, which is needed to get the mesh up off my face.

greggg
2005-10-04, 11:15
the weight, the weight is why I don't want to carry both.

titanium_hiker
2005-10-04, 12:36
ah I see, carrying the hammock just incase you find a decent hanging spot. maybe tie the tarp at the top of the pole, and the hammock body lower or viceversa even.

titanium

titanium_hiker
2005-10-04, 13:07
http://www.hennessyhammock.com/use-as-a-tent.htm
http://hikinghq.net/gear/hennessey_assym_hammock2.html#Tip%203
these show two lines on the treking poles.

titanium

Rosaleen
2005-10-04, 14:09
TH-

What you are seeing and interpreting as two lines is actually one line. You MAY need to add the "Treehugger" to get enought length, but if you tie the free end of the hanging line to the pole, as well as the end close to the hammock body, you will have a continuous loop. Use two stakes to pull the rope away and to two opposite sides. This will look like a triangle, if you think of the set up as a plane with the two staked corners as the base and the pole top as the apex. Slide into the hammock from the foot end, but use it in reverse so that you lie in it with your head at the slit end.

I've never slept in the hammock this way, just set it up to see what it is like.

Hope this helps!

Rosaleen

titanium_hiker
2005-10-05, 10:33
oh right- so it is one line- but two stake out points. I believe this is gregg's problem.

titanium

greggg
2005-10-05, 13:58
Thanks Rosaleen, I think this might have been the issue. I'm going to try it this way tonight - I hope it rains, then I'll be able to check how it handles the weather this way.