PDA

View Full Version : HH hex tarp

weekender
2005-10-07, 07:26
Can anyone help?? I have stayed out only a couple of nights in the HH hammock and whilst everything was fine, i have just been looking on the HH website looking at the supershelter undercover and noticed a letter which has made me think about the correct way to put my hex tarp up, the chap in the letter talks about running the sewn seam that runs along the tarp in line with the center line of the hammock. Which got me thinking have i got mine right :confused: can anyone help with this hopefully short term problem. the letter was written by a chap called Chuck Littleton on the new products page??!!!!

Seeker
2005-10-07, 11:09
i'm assuming there's a seam that runs through the middle of the tarp from one corner to its opposite corner... those two corners should be what you tie to the tree... the other four corners, with a line tied to them, get staked to the ground, two on each side...

hope that helped...

weekender
2005-10-08, 06:09
Thanks seeker

its just that the two opposing corners with the seam didnt look long enough to reach when i tried it, also these two corners have what only can be described as triangular shaped 'rings' where the other corners are just normal 'O' shaped and these tend to go out of shape when connected to the Hammock, this was solved by attaching to the tree directly by the cord on the tarp and not being connected to the hammock at all.
Im not sure if any of this makes sense does it??? :confused: :confused:

youngblood
2005-10-08, 08:58
Thanks seeker

its just that the two opposing corners with the seam didnt look long enough to reach when i tried it, also these two corners have what only can be described as triangular shaped 'rings' where the other corners are just normal 'O' shaped and these tend to go out of shape when connected to the Hammock, this was solved by attaching to the tree directly by the cord on the tarp and not being connected to the hammock at all.
Im not sure if any of this makes sense does it??? :confused: :confused: Not all Hennessy tarps are hex tarps, are you sure that is what you have? For Hennessy's, the hex tarp has six sides and the others have four sides.

CanoeCamper
2005-10-08, 22:01
Use the triangles!
I have two of the HH Hex tarps, and they are both different. One has eight tie-outs, the extra two are in the middle of opposite sides with a seam running between these, and the "normal" seam that runs to opposite points both with triangle tie-outs at the ends. The other has six tie-outs, one seam with triangle tie-outs at the ends. All the other points have the round tie-outs.
Point being, that on two tarps with three seams all have triangle tie-outs. And IMO if you don't use a seam as a ridge-line you would stretch the tarp out of shape.

youngblood
2005-10-09, 11:01
I think this is a picture of the hex tarp: http://www.whiteblaze.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/7870/sort/1/cat/577/page/2 .

Youngblood

weekender
2005-10-09, 12:35
Thanks Guys.

I did try the triangle tie outs but the distance between them didnt seem long enough perhaps i need to have another look at how im hanging the hammock, when i last used the hex it looked the same as the picture in the link but that was when it connected by the round tie outs...and it is the six sided hex with six tie outs, im going to try and get some pictures.

Martin

weekender
2005-10-09, 13:26
:damnmate: im sure they make films about people like me(forest gump springs to mind) ive just hung the hammock to retry it and it fits so i dont now what i did wrong last time :confused:

Thanks everybody for being patient with a slow learner???

weekender

GregH
2005-10-09, 14:50
Aw, there's a little bit of Forrest in all of us.

CanoeCamper
2005-11-20, 00:02
Noticed that the HH site now has Snake Skins 4!!! I questioned the size and Tom Hennessy sent a reply stating that they are big enough for a Safari Deluxe A-Sym & Hex fly!! He also said the Hex was designed to tie to the tree instead of attach to hammock.

SGT Rock
2005-11-20, 09:34
I also think the new x-large snakeskins are something he is coming out with to replace the JRB pythons since he asked them to quit making them. The word I got is they didn't mind stopping, they just asked Tom to provide a bigger set so folks could still cover their hammock with underquilts in them.