PDA

View Full Version : Lexan and a cozy?

dropkick
2005-10-15, 16:38
Anyone ever tried using a Nalgen and a cozy to cook?
I usually carry three Nalgen lexan bottles (depending on length of trip, available water).
- In rotatation, 1 for drinking, 1 for emergency/sanitation/treatment, and 1 for cooking water.
So I thought why not try this? One less item in my pack.
I know you can put hot liquids in them, but haven't ever tried boiling (or actually even hot) in them.

Anyone tried this, or have any tips or warnings?

bird dog
2005-10-15, 18:38
Good question. Never tried it. However, I have a buddy who puts coffee in his camel back. It would seem that if hot coffee works in a plyable water bladder, that it should work in a hard plastic type lexan bottle. I may try it and let you know.

Sgathak
2005-10-15, 19:57
Ive boiled the snot out of my lexan bottles.... still doing 100%.

When I clean my nalgene bottles, I fill it about halfway, then throw it in the microwave for about 5 minutes.

The pressure inside the bottle keeps it from boiling, but the water is well beyond boiling hot. I *carefully* take the bottle out of the nuker, and wearing gloves, I swish the superheated water inside the bottle. Then, just let it cool. The heat, combined with pressure, turns the inside of the nalgene into a virtual autoclave. DO NOT OPEN THE BOTTLE UNTIL THE WATER INSIDE IS COOL! The water is VERY HOT and underpressure. Open the bottle and it will spray you with steam and scalding water like opening the radiator in your car.

Ive done this for years and the same bottle is going strong.

If itll take this abuse, feel free to "boil in bag" the sucker.

Just Jeff
2005-10-15, 21:00
Some folks out there believe that Nalgenes leak harmful chemicals when exposed to hot temps, like boiling water and dishwashers. Dunno how true it is, but some people refuse to use Nalgenes for that reason. I have no problem using mine, but I don't take them camping because they're almost 5x as heavy as soda bottles.

I guess getting a wide-mouth lexan "jar" instead of the bottles would make a great cooker/rehydrator/bowl, though. (They don't turn in near the top, so there wouldn't be a problem getting your spoon down inside.)

I wonder how the weight of one of those jars compares to Sgt Rock's lemonade setup.

dropkick
2005-10-16, 02:48
Some folks out there believe that Nalgenes leak harmful chemicals when exposed to hot temps, like boiling water and dishwashers. Dunno how true it is, but some people refuse to use Nalgenes for that reason.

Did a search after reading your post and found several sites saying that they are safe to 275 F (boiling is 212 F - sea level).
And the Nalgene site says to clean them in a dishwasher.
Also found a medical site where they were disinfecting them in an autoclave for use in the facility.
While I never rule anything out - I really doubt that the containers give off any toxins at all.

I'm going ahead with my cozy Nalgene cooker.

-After reading what some people said on those other sites I think I might try it as a foot warmer too.

Dreadie
2005-10-16, 17:07
This isn't really important, but how DO you pronounce Nalgene? With a "g" as in giant? Or in gross?

The HotDog
2005-10-17, 00:44
The way I've heard Nalgene pronounce is Nal-gene. nal sounds like Gal With a "N" instead of a "G". Gene sounds like jean as in Blue Jeans without the "S". But thats in Texas, I don't know how they would pronounce it up north. :bandit:
Back on topic. I would like to Hear how it goes and how would you heat the bottle :confused:

dropkick
2005-10-18, 00:28
The way I've heard Nalgene pronounce is Nal-gene. nal sounds like Gal With a "N" instead of a "G". Gene sounds like jean as in Blue Jeans without the "S". But thats in Texas, I don't know how they would pronounce it up north. :bandit:
Back on topic. I would like to Hear how it goes and how would you heat the bottle :confused:

I pronounce Nalgene: water bottle. :ahhhhh: :stupido2:

Anyway, all bad jokes aside, the bottle wouldn't be warmed. It would just be used (along with the cozy) as a container for holding the hot water while it cooks whatever you were making (ramen, soup, dehydrated whatever, etc.).

KLeth
2005-10-18, 01:40
Lexan(tm) is GE's trademark for Polycarbonate, which has usage temp between -135C (-211F) and 135C (275F). It shouldn't release any organic solvents or other toxins. Of course don't go beyond what's specified for the product in use . . . . !

I'm going to use my Nalgene bottle for rehydrating food :fisheye: Nice idea!
I was actually surprised when I found that the Nalgene bottles we have, are almost as heavy (within 10g) as the AL bottles we carry.

Lanthar
2005-10-18, 20:39
Some folks out there believe that Nalgenes leak harmful chemicals when exposed to hot temps, like boiling water and dishwashers. Dunno how true it is, but some people refuse to use Nalgenes for that reason.

and some people also believe that plastics leach toxins into water under freezing conditions... these 'some people' also don't know chemistry, much less organic chem or physical chem or thermodynamics... these 'some people' probably have no idea how many toxins they consume just by breathing city air, it's far more than they will ever get from hot water in a polycarbonate bottle. don't worry about it, Nalgene says that they are good to 275 degrees. This is the same rating they use on their medical testing bottles that are the same price range same polycarbonate as the food grade ones... "leaching" word have far worse consequnces for medical testing as it would contaminate any sample than it would in a human body, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Oh, and I've used a nalgene container (http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/store/subcategory.asp?categorysubcategorycode=44) for boil and dump meals...

Just Jeff
2005-10-19, 01:44
Yeah - those are the jars I was talking about.

I'm not worried about it. I usually don't take my Nalgenes because of the weight, but I use them at home for water and such. I was just bringing up the point...some folks might care.

I might get one of those jars for rehydrating meals, though - would be good for having a sturdier hot water bottle to sleep with.

Dreadie
2005-10-19, 15:36
Why do they say not recommended for liquid storage in the ad at the above link? Just to cover their butt? Or do they have some problem that would make it a bad idea to do?

As for the pronounciation of Nalgene, I was just wondering because I have a tendency to mispronounce words and embarrass myself. This is one word I cannot look up in the dictionary to figure out it's pronounciation. What a nerd, eh?

Sgathak
2005-10-19, 16:31
I think the liquid storage aspect is that A) they arnt designed for it, and B) they probably dont have a thread seal strong enough to call it certifiably "water tight".

dropkick
2005-10-20, 01:51
Why do they say not recommended for liquid storage in the ad at the above link? Just to cover their butt? Or do they have some problem that would make it a bad idea to do?

As for the pronounciation of Nalgene, I was just wondering because I have a tendency to mispronounce words and embarrass myself. This is one word I cannot look up in the dictionary to figure out it's pronounciation. What a nerd, eh?

The bottles in the ad were dry storage bottles, for flour, rice, noodles, or whatever else that you might want to store that isn't wet.
I expect that they have a different lid seal than the water bottles.

The company's original name was Nalge and they made polyethylene lab equipment.
Then they discovered a new market for their products, and started targeting campers, hikers, bikers, and etc. and became Nalge-Nunc International.
Nalgene is just a name created from the original company name.
I found nothing on where any of the names came from.

So I haven't actually helped the pronunciation search at all.

Oh, the company is originally from New York, so it might just be a made up name (initials, a formula, etc.) and not some foreign name/word.

Seeker
2005-10-21, 14:16
According to my dictionary, it's greek. from "Na" meaning 'to drink', "Le" meaning 'from', and "Gene" meaning 'something overpriced that popular culture demands you use, despite there being a cheaper and lighter alternative'.

our word "Jeans" appears to derive from that root as well.

(greek seems to be a remarkably concise language.)

Dreadie
2005-10-21, 19:52
^ :laugh: ^ That actually sounds plausible. :biggrin:

Seeker
2005-10-21, 23:49
glad you liked it. it's now on the lexicon forum.

bird dog
2005-10-21, 23:53
Just like the name implies, HE IS THE SEEKER OF TRUTH!!! :adore: :adore: :adore:

Lanthar
2005-10-24, 13:29
I think the liquid storage aspect is that A) they arnt designed for it, and B) they probably dont have a thread seal strong enough to call it certifiably "water tight".

Well, on mind, the seal more than water tight enough to re-hydrate meals. However, it's extremely easy to loosen the lid, so it doesn't stay water-tight for long...

It's not a CYA it's just a "the lid was not meant for long-term use with liquids" statement.

I definitely wouldn't use the jars as a hot water bottle.