PDA

View Full Version : How many knives do you own?

GregH
2005-10-17, 14:41
Now that Sgathak has me on a quest for the Ontario Knife RAT-7 in D2 steel I started counting up all of my knives. Between fixed blades, folders, switchblades, pocket, and multi-tools I have 13. My SOG Trident TF-3 is my current favorite and my Leatherman SuperTool is used most frequently.

What is your count and which is your favorite?

P.S. Dinnerware doesn't count! :biggrin:

The HotDog
2005-10-17, 15:35
If I am correct I own 9 currently, But, Thats not including all the ones I have lost or forgotten. :sheep:

SGT Rock
2005-10-17, 15:58
I have no clue. A bunch of them.

peter_pan
2005-10-17, 16:22
Lots of them....my favorite is a 5 inch willow blade of Navaculite set in a forked whitetail tine handle... my favorite hiker is a 1.5 inch lock blade in composite ... weight 0.5 oz ...Gerber, made in USA.

Pan

Sgathak
2005-10-17, 16:53
My knife collection like a revolving door.

Currently, Ive got a RAT7, TAK, Benchmade AFCK, Emerson CQC7, Gerber Multiplier, 3 Swiss Army Knives (not sure which model), Spyderco Endura, Delica, and Jester, a SOG Flash2, Cold Steel SRK, Bushman, and Gunsite2. My next knife will be a RAT Model 1 Folder, and Im looking at the SOG Micron... its only .4 oz with a 1.5in blade, but Im concerned about durability.

Seeker
2005-10-17, 17:42
SAK Tinker, SAK Craftsman, 2 identical Camillus 4" lockblades (one gift, one won as a prize a month later), a Gerber dagger, a Gerber multi-tool, a Barlow, another plain old pocketknife, two jack-knives my grandfather made (one is a lockblade), and those are all that count. have a bunch of small souvenier knives that aren't worth hanging onto, though i do. so what's that? 10 or so that count, i guess... only use 2 regularly-the two SAK... used to carry the dagger in the army, while deployed... the lockblades aren't too practical, the multitool is too heavy for most of what i do while hiking/camping, and the other 4 have a lot of sentimental value, so i don't want to lose them...

i think if i had to pick just one to camp with, it'd be the Tinker...

blink-1
2005-10-17, 20:12
Don't know how many I own, but my favorite is the one I just made from the kit from:

http://home.comcast.net/~bradjarvis3/

My next will be from supplies made from this guys inventory:

http://www.northcoastknives.com/

Buck

bird dog
2005-10-17, 22:07
I have several. Some worth mentioning are an M9 bayonet, a few multi-tools (Leatherman and Gerber), and others. I use a Smith and Wesson SWAT lockblade at work more than any of the others. I also have a SWAT first responder that includes a seatbelt cutter and a window punch. Carry it to work too. I backpack with a multi-tool and a Swiss Army (Not sure what model it is though). BD

dropkick
2005-10-18, 01:04
Don't have a clue. Somewhere between a bunch and a lot, but my closest guess would not quite enough.

Seeker
2005-10-18, 01:55
Don't have a clue. Somewhere between a bunch and a lot, but my closest guess would not quite enough.

i know what you mean... that's how many stoves i have, alcohol and otherwise...

j.johnson
2005-10-18, 08:18
I have about 15 lockback 3 1/2 to 4 inch blades, 1 aircrew servival knife, a Kabar servival knife, super gerber, leatherman psII, and crunch and my original boy scout knife, my wife thinks I'm a bit crazy for having so many but you never know when the occation will arise for the use of any one of them. My favorite one would have to be the one I made from an old broken file about 15 years ago, I made it into a double edge boot knife with a deer antler handle. I think it came up missing in one of my military moves.

GregH
2005-10-18, 12:48
...my wife thinks I'm a bit crazy for having so many...

I understand, JJ. My wife just rolls her eyes and says "Do you really need another knife?" (She usually lets me buy it anyway!) :elefant:

deadeye
2005-10-18, 13:05
If I am correct I own 9 currently, But, Thats not including all the ones I have lost or forgotten. :sheep:

I think I have about 9 as well - 6 Swiss Army, 3 Gerbers (or look-alikes), and a Leatherman Micra. Each pack has a resident knife with scissors.

I actually only paid for one or two - the rest I picked up on the trail behind The HotDog and his friends! :biggrin:

Jim Henderson
2005-10-18, 13:21
Too many I am sure...

2 Buck/Wenger Swiss Army knives, very nice in some ways compared to the Victorinox.

3 Victorinox Including Champ, Fisherman and SuperTinker.

A beautiful Victorinox Swiss Army knife branded for Mauser. 4 very similar German Army issue Swiss Army knives, one in each car and a spare.

My old Boy Scout Imperial from the 60s.

My USMC combat knife, more useful than you would think.

My itty Bitty Teeny Weenie, Folding "Buck" knife. Blade is about 1/2 inch long. I bet I could get that on the airlines, I could hide it in my nostril.

Numerous Bayonets, which really don't count, they are part of my other collection that goes boom.

My Mac Folder, G96 mini folder, various el cheapo pen knives, The huge 14 inch blade "Survival" knife with compass in the handle my father in law gave me thinking it was a truely useful knife, maybe my kids will get some use out of it.

Looks like I have too many knives.

The most useful ones are my Victorinox Fisherman(almost everyday), the two Buck/Wenger Swiss Army knives(on weekends), boyscout knife(around the house, and my G96 mini folder(in my office desk). The USMC knife goes camping with me.

Icemanat95
2005-10-18, 16:44
Let's see:

Emerson CQC7A Folder
Gerber EZ-Out large, non-serrated
Spyderco Delica (rebuilt after desctructive testing)
Schrade MC1 paratrooper's switchblade
Imperial Barlow pocket knife
Imperial Schrade Mother of Pearl handled pen-knife
Imperial stag-handled pocket knife
Victorinox Swiss Army Climber model (in the first aid/repair kit)
Leatherman tool (original model) worn out wire cutters and re-ground blade tip.
Gerber pocket tool (original model) nice tool, but heavy.
Cold Steel SRK (reground tip to lower the angel of the edge for finer cutting at the tip)
Himalayan Imports Khukuri knife
Angus Trim DN1532 arming sword (prototype)
Hanwei Practical Katana Plus (a cheap beater sword)

There are a number of other things around tucked away in various places, but these are the ones I use a lot. I'm hoping to add a good dirk and sgian to the list as well as a good katana when my skill level reaches the point of justifying it.

blackdog
2005-10-21, 16:31
I own a small number of knives but essentially use only two when outdoors.

For tiny cutting jobs i use a Stanley 10-150 (http://www.stanleytools.com/default.asp?CATEGORY=SNAP%2DOFF+BLADE&TYPE=PRODUCT&PARTNUMBER=10-150&SDesc=5%2D1%2F8%26%2334%3B+9mm+and+18mm+Quick%2DPo int%26%23153%3B+Knife) yellow and grey snap-off. I tried using a metal-handled japanese snap-off knife but it was too cold to hold and also jammed when only slightly wet. I gave the cheap Stanley a shot thinking it would break in cold weather, but it hasn't let me down yet. I don't hold it like a pen when i use it. The best way to describe it would be "upside down bamboo brush grip", i think. It's close to how a surgeon holds a scalpel.

For food i use an EKA 88 (http://www.eka-knivar.se/prod/swede/swede_pres.htm) small folder that i got as a gift and underestimated for that reason. It shares the same story as the stanley, it was given a shot and it's still around. The handle is from a non-native hardwood of some kind and has the logo of the company i worked for pressed into it. The stainless blade is quite easy to sharpen but stays sharp well too.

For heavier cutting jobs i use an axe, although i would like to see a "swordish" thing made from mostly plastic the way some scissors are made (http://www.stonemountainfabric.com/media/scissors8fetherweight.jpg). Cutting with a slicing motion is much nicer than "hacking", but the longer blade needs a more skilled user that knows how to apply it as well as take care of it. The cost would probably be higher too. There's probably too many samurai movies in the back of my mind, but ... the dream of the hiker katana lives on. ;)

Iceman
2005-10-24, 10:25
Bunches. Too Many. Not done yet.

Favorite was/is a cheap 3" lockback clip knife I received when I renewed a regional hunting magazine subscription. ("Real nice" :biggrin: )

Lost this knife last year while hunting.

Found the knife this year while hunting. Seems it unclipped from my pants when I was dropping the chalupa last year. Great spot.

I am obviously a creature of habit.

Seeker
2005-10-24, 11:29
that is too funny....

Hollowdweller
2005-10-28, 11:13
Too many to count.

This one is my current favorite

Mutinousdoug
2005-10-28, 13:10
Did you eat that stuff in the pot already, or what? :puke:

Hollowdweller
2005-10-28, 13:15
Did you eat that stuff in the pot already, or what? :puke:

I KNEW somebody was gonna say something about that :)

Actually it is spinach parmesan hummus and it tastes a heck of a lot better than it looks :biggrin:

Seeker
2005-10-28, 15:32
i'll take your word for it...

Mutinousdoug
2005-10-28, 16:37
Well, I'm certainly glad it tastes better than it looks, because it looks like Linda Blair got ahold of it before you did. It distracted me from looking at your knife. It appears that it slices your bread nice and thin! Very impressive.
What are those things to the right of your smoked salmon bag; mushrooms? They don't look right to me...I'd stay away from those too, unless you smother them first with that green stuff.

Hollowdweller
2005-10-28, 17:28
Well, I'm certainly glad it tastes better than it looks, because it looks like Linda Blair got ahold of it before you did. It distracted me from looking at your knife. It appears that it slices your bread nice and thin! Very impressive.
What are those things to the right of your smoked salmon bag; mushrooms? They don't look right to me...I'd stay away from those too, unless you smother them first with that green stuff.

You poor guys! No sense of culinary adventure!!

Oh yea, the trekking pole handles are much better with hummus on them. Still a little chewy but improves the flavor :canabis:

bird dog
2005-11-02, 20:21
You poor guys! No sense of culinary adventure!!

Oh yea, the trekking pole handles are much better with hummus on them. Still a little chewy but improves the flavor :canabis:

WOW! And I thought mountain pizzas were a 5 star meal on the trail. Do you have any recipes to share (except for the green stuff....oh, yea and the salmon too -- I dont eat fish)!