PDA

View Full Version : Nalgene

Seeker
2005-10-21, 22:48
Nalgene. n.

1. Colored plastic water container used by many hikers in place of the light and free (but unglamorous) 'recycled water bottle'.

the word's origin is Greek, from "Na" meaning 'to drink', "Le" meaning 'from', and "Gene" meaning 'something overpriced that popular culture demands you use, despite there being a cheaper and lighter alternative'.

our word "Jeans", often used with the adjective 'designer', to denote expensive denim pants, appears to derive from that root as well.

bird dog
2005-10-22, 00:11
:adore: :adore: :adore:
Nalgene. n.

1. Colored plastic water container used by many hikers in place of the light and free (but unglamorous) 'recycled water bottle'.

the word's origin is Greek, from "Na" meaning 'to drink', "Le" meaning 'from', and "Gene" meaning 'something overpriced that popular culture demands you use, despite there being a cheaper and lighter alternative'.

our word "Jeans", often used with the adjective 'designer', to denote expensive denim pants, appears to derive from that root as well.

Once again the wise on speaks the truth. Thats why they call him the "Seeker" [of truth, justice and the American way]. :adore: :adore: :adore:

Kea
2005-10-22, 00:43
Nalgene bottles are good, only if they are the wide mouth ones that fit my filter. I used to carry 3, and now I will be carrying but 1 to filter into and use the lighter and cheaper alternatives.

Yeah, I carry the dreadfully heavy filter too, but I like the idea of keeping schmutz out of my drinking water. :adore:

I alos like the idea of saving nearly a pound. :) :) :)

GregH
2005-10-22, 10:35
I like the fun designer colors.
Of course, I have to buy new bottles each season but it's so worth it to see my trail friends jealous faces. Have you seen the new Butterscotch? It's so totally awesome, you have to get one. I am so there! :elefant:

Sgathak
2005-10-22, 14:01
I tend to use them because the "cheaper lighter alternative" has been shown to hold bacteria, and cant hold boiling water without running the risk of extreme deformation.

Unless your talking about Platy bottles.... and then I use Nalgene in winter so the mouth doesnt freeze solid.

Seeker
2005-10-23, 00:48
I tend to use them because the "cheaper lighter alternative" has been shown to hold bacteria, and cant hold boiling water without running the risk of extreme deformation.

Unless your talking about Platy bottles.... and then I use Nalgene in winter so the mouth doesnt freeze solid.

Sgathak, et al...

I hope you understood my post to be tongue-in-cheek... i can be pretty dry and straightfaced at times, and i'm not always smart enough to use the smilies provided...

Nalgene definitely has a purpose, as you stated... i can't use mine as a hot water bottle, and i'm limited to clear, 7Up green, clear, Mtn Dew green, clear, some cool cap colors, clear, and my favorite, 'Clear'...

and now, back to our regular programing... and a serious question. is there really any difference in bacteria growth between a nalgene bottle and a reused soda/water bottle? is it the type of plastic, or is is just easier to clean out the nalgene on a regular basis?

Sgathak
2005-10-23, 01:33
I knew you were playin (Im not sure Ive seen a serious "definition" in this lexicon forum yet), I jus gotta be Representin da Nalgene Boyz!

As for your question, A calgary study found that reused PET bottles had bacteria levels high enough that if the city water supply had similar levels, they would issue a "boil" order for homes. Further, there was a study done here in the US that suggests the kind of washing that could kill bacteria might make the bottles unsafe in other ways. The plastic breaks down over time releasing toxic compounds into the water, and use of soaps and hot water seems to increase the rate of the breakdown. PET bottles are only designed for single use applications. Polycarbonates (like Nalgene) dont break down like this, they are infact designed for re-use applications.

REPRESENT!

GregH
2005-10-23, 11:21
Sgathak, et al...

I hope you understood my post to be tongue-in-cheek...

It was a joke? You mean you haven't seen the new Butterscotch color?! :bawling:

JAK
2005-10-23, 16:36
I finally lost my Nalgene water bottle. Now I can use the better cheaper lighter ones without feeing I'm leaving something behind.

I froze both Nalgene bottles solid on one of my first solo winter treks. The narrow mouth was a hopeless cause and I never used it again even in summer. The widemouth I finally managed to reclaim, but it wasn't easy. It was the most desperate crisis of the trek, and there were a few. Now I go in winter with a wineskin and an aluminum flask that I can heat. I have a feeling that if you put a little water in a tin cup you can heat up water or melt ice in a PET bottle without melting the PET. It is easier to reclaim a frozen PET bottle, as long as it hasn't burst. I am going to play around with lightweight heatable flasks made with PET bottles and aluminum cans or aluminum tape.

Kea
2005-10-23, 21:22
But you can take 1 Nalgene bottle to filter into and then pour off into something like a 1 liter Aquafina bottle for a single trek, correct? The pathogen levels should stay low for trips of a few days, especially if you do something like carry ascorbic acid crystals to kill the stuff.

Sgathak
2005-10-24, 01:12
But you can take 1 Nalgene bottle to filter into and then pour off into something like a 1 liter Aquafina bottle for a single trek, correct? The pathogen levels should stay low for trips of a few days, especially if you do something like carry ascorbic acid crystals to kill the stuff.

You should be OK for a few days or even stretch it to a few weeks... But I wouldnt plan on using the same bottle for a full thru-hike or anything.

In reality, you can probably use PET bottles without any issue, since they are so prevalent you can toss your old one and buy a fancy new one for a buck and change every time you cross civilization.

When it all boils down, its a matter of preference. Just know your gears limitations and plan accordingly.

dropkick
2005-10-24, 08:54

Ascorbic acid crystals (vit. c) doesn't kill pathogens - in fact it often provides food in the form of sugars to them.
Vitamen c is only used to cover the taste of iodine in the water from treatment. (and to keep you from getting scurvy - why British are called "Limeys" - a lime a day keeps the spots away)

Seeker
2005-10-24, 10:28
[QUOTE=Sgathak]In reality, you can probably use PET bottles without any issue, since they are so prevalent you can toss your old one and buy a fancy new one for a buck and change every time you cross civilization.QUOTE]

yeah. that's what i do... my wife is a bottled water addict, and i always have plenty of spares...