PDA

View Full Version : Beware the man eater!

Hollowdweller
2005-10-28, 17:57
Anybody know this carnivore?? We were camped on a little sandbar in a bog and they were everywhere.

dropkick
2005-10-29, 02:10
It's a sundew.
One of my teachers in grade school had one on her desk.
The thing I remember most about it was that it stunk. It had an odor like rotting meat (to attract flies). Wasn't an overpowering smell but it was definately there.

Hollowdweller
2005-10-31, 11:11
Good call!!!! :adore:

bird dog
2005-11-02, 19:57
Does it only eat flies? If I stuck my finger close by (I am the curious type -- like "Hey, taste this, its terrible" -- Im the one that tries it at least once) is it going to snap like a Venus fly trap? BD :confused:

dropkick
2005-11-05, 02:43
It will TRY to eat anything that touches it.
It is fairly slow moving though.
But you wouldn't want to touch it, as on the end of all those little red things that stick up is a glob of sticky stuff (you can see them in the pic where it is dark).
The sticky stuff traps the bug and also digests it.
When the bug lands on the flower it gets somewhat stuck, while it is fighting to get free the flower folds in on it and traps it in a sticky mess, digests it, and then unfolds.

bird dog
2005-11-07, 04:50
Thats awesome. Now that my curiosity has been satisfied, I wont stick my finger in it when I see one. What climate zones are they normally found in?

Hog On Ice
2005-11-07, 12:55
Thats awesome. Now that my curiosity has been satisfied, I wont stick my finger in it when I see one. What climate zones are they normally found in?

take a look at the maps at http://plants.usda.gov/cgi_bin/plant_profile.cgi?symbol=DROSE and you will get a feel for where it can be found.

bird dog
2005-11-10, 20:05
take a look at the maps at http://plants.usda.gov/cgi_bin/plant_profile.cgi?symbol=DROSE and you will get a feel for where it can be found.

Thanks HOI. Ive learned alot in this forum. Like one of those man eaters are probably in my backyard! BD