PDA

View Full Version : Plugger

dropkick
2005-10-30, 02:34
Plugger: Someone who knows how to conserve their strength and enjoy the scenery while hiking. A deliberate and thoughtful hiker.
(Personal note: as I consider myself to be)

Sometimes also mistakenly called:
slow poke, plodder, slogger, trudger, crawler, creeper, dallier, dawdler, day dreamer, dragger, laggard, lagger, lingerer, loiterer, snail, stick-in-the-mud, straggleridler, lazybones, loafer, lounger, slouch, slug, sluggard, delayer, procrastinator

Also often mistakenly discribed with these words:
crawling, creeping, dawdling, delaying, dilatory, disinclined, dreamy, drowsy, easy, gradual, heavy, idle, imperceptible, inactive, indolent, inert, lackadaisical, leaden, leisurely, lethargic, listless, loitering, inactive, late, lingering, long-delayed, long-drawn-out, passive, phlegmatic, plodding, ponderous, postponing, procrastinating, reluctant, remiss, slack, sleepy, slothful, slow-moving, sluggish, snaillike, stagnant, supine, tardy, torpid, tortoiselike, moss-backed, prolonged, protracted, overdue, sluggish

(Personal note (2): the above misinformed names and descriptions are sometimes used by family and friends, and no amount of explanation will stop their misunderstanding nor curb the use of these words. However, these occurances can be sometimes limited by the deft use of threats.
i.e. "I have the keys and it's a long walk back from the trail head." or "You have to sleep sometime.")

SGT Rock
2005-11-01, 15:09
Plugger is also a military slang for PLGR which is a hand held GPS device.

Seeker
2005-11-01, 16:47
PLGR-Platoon Leaders' Godsent Reorienter

SGT Rock
2005-11-01, 18:16
The PLGR: http://www.milspec.ca/canforce/gps/plgr96.html

dropkick
2005-11-02, 08:05
Plugger is also a military slang for PLGR which is a hand held GPS device.

Didn't even know what a GPS was when I was in.

Though we were on the cutting edge of technology: i.e.
We had someone who showed movies in the day room using that amazing new technology called a VHS.

Seeker
2005-11-02, 15:40
gps is especially useful when it comes to situational awareness and artillery... little transmitters can tell a commander exactly where his troops, or at least their vehicles, are, and the artillery can shoot almost literally as soon as they stop for a fire mission. now, you just stop, push a button, and fire. computer and gps do all the work formally done with 'charts and darts' and the plotting board.

bird dog
2005-11-02, 19:39
What happened to people fighting wars and good old map reading skills? Call me a scout (I mean an old fogey) but I still think the soldiers and NCO's make it all happen.

I do own a more modern version of the PLGR that I occasionally take camping (however I use it more for work). It is really not needed when on the AT but I use it when bushwacking to mark waypoints of places I may revisit another day.

BD

SGT Rock
2005-11-02, 21:53
A good scout uses a plugger about like he uses a watch. Ever few hours he looks over to make sure he is where he knows he is.

Seeker
2005-11-03, 01:26
not to worry bird dog... they still teach map reading and compass work... the GPS makes a lot of things faster though... it's unbelieveable to see how fast a field artillery unit can stop and put rounds on target... and blue force tracker prevents a lot of fratricides, or at least lessens the opportunities...

now if only we could keep aviators from flying into stuff....

bird dog
2005-11-07, 05:14
not to worry bird dog... they still teach map reading and compass work... the GPS makes a lot of things faster though... it's unbelieveable to see how fast a field artillery unit can stop and put rounds on target... and blue force tracker prevents a lot of fratricides, or at least lessens the opportunities...

now if only we could keep aviators from flying into stuff....

The only thing worse than an aviator is a tanker!!! :damnmate:

Seeker
2005-11-07, 08:00
Hey! i resemble that remark!

actually, having been with all three, i'd have to rank the bradley mounted scout as the smartest... essentially an infantryman, tanker, and combat engineer rolled into one MOS. followed by the tanker in a cav unit, followed by the tanker in an armor unit, followed by the infantry...

still, i didn't see many ground-pounding infantrymen backing into a clump of bushes at hohenfels that turned out to be old buildings with deep, water filled basements... but occassionally it did happen to the rest of us... (i almost lost a tank that way, but we pulled him out).

i'll admit, mounted land nav is just about always easy... only took me a year to figure it out, and i can still do it well... that 'walking' thing though... much harder to do, IMO. especially carrying all that stuff... bad for your manicure too... and the shoes! only one style... and those horrible baggy pants... what were they thinking! camoflage on camoflage? i mean, really! and that makeup! green? green? what about a nice mauve or peach or something... (sorry... i don't know who let him in here... he's gone now...)

i have a poster, given to me by my first NG platoon sergeant, a cav scout, that reads:
"first, there is the all highest, the kaiser. after that, there is the cavalry officer. after that, there is the cavalry officer's horse. after that, there is nothing. after that, there is the infantry."

bird dog
2005-11-10, 20:08
Seeker, sounds like a great poster but it should read "NCO" as opposed to "officer"! BD

Seeker
2005-11-11, 11:17
yeah... yer rite... but as a scout, i report what i see...

seriously, a good nco is one step short of god and kaiser...