PDA

View Full Version : Wishlist

Sgathak
2005-11-03, 15:55
Imagine theres a backpacking prpduct out there in the ether somewhere. Its your perfect piece of gear...

what is it?

(note: please dont screw around with "a 10 gram sleeping bag" or anything like that. It needs to exist or be makeable - even if you yourself dont have the ability to make it"

Hog On Ice
2005-11-03, 18:32
well I would like to see an Exped Hammat only made with a Downmat 9 instead of an Airmat 7.5

also would like to see a small light weight electric air pump to inflate the Downmat

Seeker
2005-11-03, 18:37
i don't know... i was just telling my wife last night (new campmor catalog came) that i really, for once, didn't need anything else except a JRB underquilt.... i've got pretty much everything i need, in a weight i'm happy with...

i guess my favorite piece of gear is my WM bag. light, warm, durable... does everything it's supposed to do, does it well, and can't get much lighter...

the HH Backpacker UL Asym comes in second... not much i'd do to improve it except maybe cut some holes in the sides, with velcro openings, so you could reach out and adjust the fly, shine a light, or whatever... maybe sew in a quilted bottom on the thing... or a snap-on underquilt...

yeah, i know... this wasn't about 'favorite gear'... but i already own what i consider to be 'my perfect gear'... i'll think on it some...

good, durable, breathable, lightweight raingear, like froggtoggs that don't tear, might be something...

Verlager
2005-11-03, 21:49
Imagine theres a backpacking prpduct out there in the ether somewhere. Its your perfect piece of gear... what is it? Thanks, I'll pass on your sophomoric idea. I just use the gear I have, commonly available, generally inadequate, but servicable gear. Wishing for gear that I don't have is just making excuses for not going hiking.

Regardless of what gear you choose, a certain amount of inconvenience or hardship is inherent in backpacking. Just go out into the woods with eyes wide open, ready to meet the challenge of the unknown.

Are we such consumate consumers that we crave all the latest designer high-tech toys from Gander Mountain and the like? Forego those useless oversize sheath knives, expensive GPS systems and those other largely marginally useful contraptions that bedeck the counters of stores like Gander Mountain.

Man looks into the abyss and what he sees staring back at him is his character. If the value of a hiker's wilderness experience hinges on some acquiring some non-existent mystery gear, then he probably shouldn't leave the city. Our possessions and gear neither define us nor insulate us from the fact that we are far from the comforts of home.

Letting the gear dictate and define your mindset is a case of the tail wagging the dog.

Sgathak
2005-11-04, 02:40
well I would like to see an Exped Hammat only made with a Downmat 9 instead of an Airmat 7.5

I can definatly see a use for this

Sgathak
2005-11-04, 02:48
i don't know... i was just telling my wife last night (new campmor catalog came) that i really, for once, didn't need anything else except a JRB underquilt.... i've got pretty much everything i need, in a weight i'm happy with...

good, durable, breathable, lightweight raingear, like froggtoggs that don't tear, might be something...

Its great to feel like your at "enough". I just like to play with concepts... ways to reduce weight without losing durability for example. Ive got a really functional peice of gear. Its a Russian military poncho. It has all of the versatility of the Ecotat (a $1000 peice of US gear). My only complaint about it is that its made with PU coated nylon. It could weigh half of what it does if made with Silnylon.

I wonder if the Frogg Toggs material could be made with some sort of ripstop weave.

dropkick
2005-11-04, 07:04
Imagine theres a backpacking product out there in the ether somewhere. Its your perfect piece of gear...

what is it?

(note: please dont screw around with "a 10 gram sleeping bag" or anything like that. It needs to exist or be makeable - even if you yourself dont have the ability to make it"

That last little note ruined my first thought: the box from cartoons that you open and a complete already setup camp pops out .

Anyway, I would most like to find some affordable boots that are comfortable, support my feet, don't cost an arm and a leg and last for more than a few months.
-I wear size 10 eee - the eee part is the hard part, hardly anyone makes boots or shoes in widths anymore. Oh, and on top of that the boots need to have good ankle support, as I have 1 partially paralyzed foot (weak ankle) and I hate wearing my brace.

Also I would like to find more gear that fits my body -I'm a troll- I have the upper body of someone that is about 6'5'" and the legs of someone that is 5'1". Everything is either to big or to small in some way.
When I find anything that fits my upper body it's usually about a foot and a half too long, and if it fits in length it's usually to skinny.

Just Jeff
2005-11-04, 11:09
Yeah - some boots that are REALLY waterproof, and breathable, and give excellent support and traction, but don't tear up the trail or feel like cement blocks on my feet.

Until then, I'll hike in my Hi-Tecs that aren't waterproof, but pretty much meet the other requirements. I got them for $20 (normally $60) and they fit me better than all the expensive ones I tried.

Seeker
2005-11-04, 13:27
Sgathak---the ecotat cost THAT much!? i had one issued, in the 10th mtn division back in 1991-1995... i don't know of anyone who used it, ever... piece of crap as far as we were concerned...

Dropkick and Jeff-- sounds like custom made boots might be in order...probably really expensive though...

when i was a tank platoon leader, the high crew in the regiment was awarded a custom made pair of danner's by our regimental CO... he carried the little fitting kit with him to gunnery, and would trace your feet himself, so i'm told (i was close once, with a 983/1000, and my platoon placed in the top 5 two years in a row for TT XII, but i never won the boots...)

Verlager
2005-11-04, 14:06
I would like a portable vending machine that I could throw $1 bills into and it would dispense cheeseburgers made just the way I like them, with all the condiments in their correct amounts.

deadeye
2005-11-04, 14:15
I'd go for a shorty sleeping pad as light as closed cell, but as thick and compressible as open cell or self-inflating, without the deflation potential of an air mattress. 1.5" thick, 36"x20", under 10 oz.

Sgathak
2005-11-04, 14:40
Sgathak---the ecotat cost THAT much!? i had one issued, in the 10th mtn division back in 1991-1995... i don't know of anyone who used it, ever... piece of crap as far as we were concerned...

The ecotat as a thought its really good, as a design, it sucks. And yes, if you buy it new, the full ecotat system is like $1000. Just the Ecotat by itself is still over $600. You can get them on the surplus market for about 1/4 of that.

My poncho is based on the old "plasch palatka" used by the soviets, but very updated. I wrote up a PFD "users guide" for the thing when I first got it, since I had to screw around with it to figure out how to use it (it came with no instructions, and the only ones I could find online were for an older model, and written in Russian, which didnt machine translate well). Heres the PDF (http://www.shadowslight.com/reviews/Basha.pdf)

Ive since figured out about 1/2 dozen other uses that arnt in this user guide, as well as much more refined techniques of implementing the ones I already came up with.

Sgathak
2005-11-04, 14:41
I'd go for a shorty sleeping pad as light as closed cell, but as thick and compressible as open cell or self-inflating, without the deflation potential of an air mattress. 1.5" thick, 36"x20", under 10 oz.

that would be great, but I dont think its currently possible.

SGT Rock
2005-11-04, 16:03
My perfect piece of gear would be a form of PDA with the following:

1. Waterproof.

2. Uses lithium AAA batteries

3. Weighs about 4.5 ounces

4. 3 Megapixle built in camera

5. 1 gig of memory for data and MP3s

6. FM radio expansion card.

7. Map software with downloads for trail maps.

8. Acrobat reader so I can get trail guides and books for reading on it.

9. Modem so I can e-mail journals and such to home from the trail when I get to a phone.

10. Software for making notes, spreadsheets, and such if I need it.

11. GPS plug in accessory available.

12. USB compatibale connection so you can upload or download data on almost any computer you come accross when in a town along a trail.

This would save maps, guidebooks, radio, compass, camera, pad and pen which could come up over a pound for only about 1/4 the weight.

Sgathak
2005-11-04, 16:29
So kind of like a ruggedized outdoor version of some of those PDA phones?

For that much utility, it would be hard to leave home. Especially if your a dedicated trail journaler. If the modem is already built in, it wouldnt be a stretch of the imagination to just put a full phone on it... and with verizons wireless broadband, you could do all your journaling as soon as you came within range of a tower.

Just upload all of your pics, voice notes, GPS waypoints, trail guides, etc as a "blog" of what your doing, then turn around and download some new MP3s for the hike, maps for the next leg of the hike, etc

Of course, considering the new iPods come with more storage in them than my desktop computer, you would be able to have everything stored on the harddrive when you set out, and never have to upload or download anything except for databackup if you wanted to.

Seeker
2005-11-04, 17:22
My poncho is based on the old "plasch palatka" used by the soviets, but very updated. I wrote up a PFD "users guide" for the thing when I first got it, since I had to screw around with it to figure out how to use it (it came with no instructions, and the only ones I could find online were for an older model, and written in Russian, which didnt machine translate well). Heres the PDF (http://www.shadowslight.com/reviews/Basha.pdf)

Ive since figured out about 1/2 dozen other uses that arnt in this user guide, as well as much more refined techniques of implementing the ones I already came up with.

wonder if someone could make you one in silnylon... also wonder which came first, the russian one, or the german version... who got the idea from whom? i forget what it's called... sort of a triangular thing, and a squad can put them together to make a winnebago yurt looking thing as a shelter... pretty funny looking, but they were all in there, nice and dry...

Sgathak
2005-11-04, 17:27
wonder if someone could make you one in silnylon... also wonder which came first, the russian one, or the german version... who got the idea from whom? i forget what it's called... sort of a triangular thing, and a squad can put them together to make a winnebago yurt looking thing as a shelter... pretty funny looking, but they were all in there, nice and dry...

Im talking to Jonathan at Moonbow about making one for me, and a few other ideas Ive got.

Im not sure who came up with the idea for being able to connect multiple ponchos together, but the design here quite a bit different from the german layout.

Turk
2005-11-05, 00:20
My perfect piece of gear:

The feathered friends Roc Wren with the following modifications:

1) same basic design except made by western mountaineering

2) Hovering around the 2lb mark and 25 deg F temp rating. (possible from
WM) 700 fill down or better.

3) an extra sleeve on the outer shell of the bag to house a thermarest
or similar type pad tightly under you where you most need it.

4) stuffed in a custom tailored granite gear dry bag

*drool .. okay now I am dreaming*

hell might as well go right over the top.
you said it had to be possible, not that it had to be affordable ...

Make that pad a custom tailored Aerogel 1/4" pad housed in ripstop
silnylon. and folds like a Z-rest.

Just Jeff
2005-11-05, 00:34
Rock, I saw an ad in BPer for a phone that had many of those functions. GPS, cell phone, uploadable maps, etc. I don't think it can read .pdf's, and it doesn't take AAA's.

Come to think of it, I think it had an internet browser in it, so maybe it can read .pdf's.

Just Jeff
2005-11-05, 00:36
Make that pad a custom tailored Aerogel 1/4" pad housed in ripstop
silnylon. and folds like a Z-rest.

And with a layer of the Stephenson's fuzzy stuff on top of the sil...I hear that stuff is pretty comfy as far as VBLs go.

Lady of Leisure
2005-11-05, 10:35
Has anyone tried the Gourmet made by Moonbow? I've been thinking that maybe Santa could bring me one for Christms. But I would like a little feed back first.

Thanks,
Lady of Leisure

SGT Rock
2005-11-05, 10:36
Rock, I saw an ad in BPer for a phone that had many of those functions. GPS, cell phone, uploadable maps, etc. I don't think it can read .pdf's, and it doesn't take AAA's.

Come to think of it, I think it had an internet browser in it, so maybe it can read .pdf's.

It probably is an achievable piece of equipment for the most part, and even if it isn't I expect it will come along eventually. When I was in Iraq, I actually got issued a PDA, so I looked into all this. My PDA used the Palm OS, which isn't the better operating version - I forget the other, but it was some Windows product as I remember. Anyway...

I added some software that allowed me to import word, excel, access, and pdf files. So I converted the Thru-Hikers companion, my packing lists and trip planner files. Created a trail journal, and even started working an a really cool database version of the AT databook and Companion combination that had some great features like allowing me to sort out points with water, or laundry, or whatever with a simple filter within seconds.

This PDA also had a built in 640x480 camera without a flash that took lousy pictures. It had 16 meg built in and you could add memory cards for more data or software as well as GPS cards, modem cards, and others as you needed them. So you could spend some cash and get what you wanted to get it up to speed with the specifications I wanted.

One big problem was maps. The map software for Palm OS was not very good. Someone does make maps that could be used for AT hiking, but they didn't make that package for the Palm OS operating system. That is one reason I would switch over.

The PDA also could play MP3s. I had a pair of headphones that had a really ultralight FM radio built in - but it was crappy.

Batteries were built in LiIon batteries, but I found a company that made a AA recharger pack which allowed me to keep it working even when I wasn't around a generator somewhere.

Bad stuff was it could lock up, or dump the memory fairly easily. I eventually got a back up chip so I could back up my data. That system wasn't reliable as I would desire on the trail. It also was in no way resistant to even simple moisture. It was made for carrying in a briefcase to meetings, not for keeping in a zip-lock on the trail.

So the technology is there, just isn't cheap or reliable enough to make it a viable backpacker tool. Although I suppose it will be eventually.

Sgathak
2005-11-05, 13:11
Has anyone tried the Gourmet made by Moonbow? I've been thinking that maybe Santa could bring me one for Christms. But I would like a little feed back first.

Thanks,
Lady of Leisure

I havent, but it looks like a viable peice of kit.

Sgathak
2005-11-05, 14:25
So the technology is there, just isn't cheap or reliable enough to make it a viable backpacker tool. Although I suppose it will be eventually.

With iPods that can do audio, video, photos, have a calendar and world clock function with a 60gig harddrive. A cell phone that can stream video, has a 1.3mpx camera, QWERTY keyboard, MP3 player, and Text to Speech capability. Blackberry phones with email, internet, and fully functional office applications.... plus 3 megapix cameras that are 1/2in thick. And the tiny Garmin Geckos for GPS needs...

Just based off these listed features, which could probably be crammed into a form factor maybe the size of a pack to a pack and a half of 3x5 notecards; full color monitor, QWERTY keyboard, office, internet, email, video and audio capability, broadband cell phone, GPS, and probably up to 3mpx digital camera. Micro digital FM recievers are easy to integrate.With a 60gig harddrive you could load any operating system you wanted, even XP Pro for all that matters, and because youve got the harddrive and software, you could easily work in software options to run everything. You can store PDFs of every trail youve ever been on, and use the integrated zoom feature to look over the fine details of the map. Your GPS function can be very basic, because it can run transparently over your PDF trail image. Because youve got a cell phone, you by default have a microphone, and so can store audio commentary for your pictures, or put a running commentary of your trip on a trail journal website. And with broadband access, you dont need to store locally anything more than you absolutly need. you can upload anything you want to keep it safe elsewhere, then download it later if you need it.

Granted, some people would rightfully be of the opinion that such a gadget is unneeded. I dont disagree with that at all... but for somepeople, hiking the long trails, mountaineering the hogh points, touring europe, or spending a year in Asia will be the highpoints of their lives. For them, a peice of half pound hardware that can record so much would be a very impressive way to remember whatall youve seen and done, and the saved files could one day turn out to be one hell of a keepsake for children and grandchildren (kinda weird to think about a PDF file as a keepsake, but welcome to the future)

blackdog
2005-11-05, 18:50
With a 60gig harddrive you could load any operating system you wanted, even XP Pro for all that matters...
I can't see how a wearable computer could be reliable if it was based on windows XP. The blue screen of death could be quite literal with a device like that and some harsh weather conditions. A wearable would be nice, though, but only if it was the size of a twiddler2 (http://www.handykey.com/site/twiddler2.html), had a microoptical (http://microopticalcorp.com/Products/vga.html#SV6) display for augmented reality (http://computer.howstuffworks.com/augmented-reality.htm) (including an stretched spectrum infrared+colour camera) and used wireless mesh networking (http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wireless/2004/01/22/wirelessmesh.html).

A quantum-dot (http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9777070/)-based LED light is something i'd like to see soon, but a non-haute-couture (adjustable) version of the gearskin is what i hope to find under the xmas tree this year...

Sgathak
2005-11-05, 20:25
I sense sarcasm...... ;)

I wouldnt use XP either... probabaly a condensed MacOSX, or tiny version of Linux. I also probably wouldnt go for a full 60gig, just noteing it was possible. Maybe 5 or 10 gigs in solid memory. Hell, my iPod shuffle has more harddrive than my first Win95 computer.

As for durability, its not THAT hard to ruggedize a computer. and even if it was, its not THAT hard to ruggedize a polycarbonate case for it.

JAK
2005-11-06, 01:56
I think it would be one of those ION stoves modified to run on beeswax, birch bark, or olive oil, without smoking. Oh, and to light it I just strike it with the pot stand, and it works so well I never need a wind screen, and it all fits in a shirt pocket. Finally, its just one of those perfect pieces of gear that always seems to be there, works perfectly with all my other gear, just happens to have a perfect storage place in my pack, my kayak, my car, and my favourite hiking shorts, and never goes missing.

p.s. Has a built in compass and sundial and comes with a pair of P.J.Flyers.

Sgathak
2005-11-06, 13:17
JAK, Id remind you to read the "Note" in the first post ;)

bird dog
2005-11-07, 04:46
I am happy with the vast majority of my gear. The only upgrades I would make would be a new bag (Seekers type sounds good) and an underquilt. BD :dito:

Verlager
2005-11-08, 14:21
Imagine theres a backpacking prpduct out there in the ether somewhere. Its your perfect piece of gear... what is it? ...
(note: please dont screw around with "a 10 gram sleeping bag"..It's not good to quick post in a cavalier fashion. Believe me, I know this from experience. For one, if you post w/o reviewing the text, grammatical and spelling errors creep in, readers conclude that your premise is not credible, or that you are sending them on a fool's errand.

A bad choice of words might cause readers to misjudge your intentions. They may erroneously conclude that you're unconsciously requesting details of our most intimate gear, our "other gear" :knuddel:, as fuel for your erotic fantasies. You would, of course, want to avoid allowing this comparison to juvenile adolescent male behavior, by purging any sexual references or gay banter from your post.

As a practical matter, present your topics in a straightforward, unambiguous manner. Define the premise succinctly, fleshing it out, exploring various angles of it when necessary. Then, naturally, any inferred sexual innuendo is purely imagined. State that:

1. (problem exists) ... some backpacking equipment is shoddy or poorly designed, and some needs are inadequately addressed by the limited range of today's backpacking equipment. Give an example.

2. (feedback) ... reply posters should agree or disagree, and suggest important areas that need improvement.

You wouldn't go to a (straight) bar and ask other dudes to talk about their "fantasy gear." You wouldn't say to a lady, "Describe your perfect equipment" and "Please don't screw around ..." If you did, their reaction, based on the sexual overtones of your choice of words, would likely be negative.

Husko
2005-11-08, 21:55
After using a bruton stove for 3 years and just today seeing my first video of a pepsi can stove. I have to say PEPSI STOVE! :elefant:

Strange thought. The more I thought about this, harder it was to come up with something. I guess anything that is simple to use, light wieght and inexpensive that relates to shelter, prevention, or food. Oh. heh and food :)

Thanks!

Sgathak
2005-11-09, 04:34
I guess it got touched on early in the thread, but Im glad to see more people saying "Ive got what I want" or some other variation.....

Thats one of the things I was hoping for.

I think its alot of fun to play mental games of what-if, or figure out cool new toys like Tops idea...

But in the end, were talking about a broad specturum of people, with their own likes and silikes, available options, terrains, etc etc.. and everyones "gear lists" will be different. Some people will find they can get by with nothing more than an old army "ranger roll" and a SAK, others will spend there last moments trying to figure out how to carry "100lbs of lightweight".

Verlager
2005-11-09, 23:12
I guess it got touched on early in the thread, but Im glad to see more people saying "Ive got what I want" or some other variation.....

Thats one of the things I was hoping for.

I think its alot of fun to play mental games of what-if, or figure out cool new toys like Tops idea...

But in the end, were talking about a broad specturum of people, with their own likes and silikes, available options, terrains, etc etc.. and everyones "gear lists" will be different. Some people will find they can get by with nothing more than an old army "ranger roll" and a SAK, others will spend there last moments trying to figure out how to carry "100lbs of lightweight".Well, kid, you don't have much, but what you've got, you've got a lot of.:rolleyes:

Sgathak
2005-11-10, 00:54
I have no interest in reading your posts... and Im quite glad I have you on ignore. But what do you want to bet that if I took you off my ignore list, I would find that your posts would be the same childish foolishness that got you ignored in the first place?

Verlager
2005-11-10, 19:26
I have no interest in reading your posts... and Im quite glad I have you on ignore. But what do you want to bet that if I took you off my ignore list, I would find that your posts would be the same childish foolishness that got you ignored in the first place?I would bet $5. You could probably use the money, and I'd like to help you out in any way I could.

GregH
2005-11-10, 21:46
sigh. This thread just won't stay on track.

Sgathak
2005-11-10, 22:06
sigh. This thread just won't stay on track.

Yup. Its a bummer. But, Ive said my peace regarding our little troll friend and have no intention on responding anymore. Hes just being the little kid who cant do anything but pout and make faces at you when he doesnt get his way. I trust the more mature members of this board see the game for what it is... So let the on topic discussion continue.

Greg, if there a certain peice of outdoor gear you wish were available but, right now isnt?

Just Jeff
2005-11-10, 22:40
I think Rachel Ray might be a good addition to my kit.

I think a fully functional, lightweight, multi-use Hammat would be a good addition, too. Good concept - not sure how well I'd like the Exped one, though.

Verlager
2005-11-10, 23:33
Yup. Its a bummer. But, Ive said my peace regarding our little troll friend and have no intention on responding anymore. ... blah blah Good for you. Be the bigger man.

Hes just being the little kid who cant do anything but pout and make faces at you when he doesnt get his way.Welcome to the show, Sgathak! So, people on the internet are "pouting and making faces at you." :dancing2: Sgathak, we have another caller:call2:; on line 2, a woman, "Debbie", 37, -know what her problem is? ....she's afraid of her daughter's dolls..... Stlll think your problem is serious?

GregH
2005-11-11, 00:42
Greg, if there a certain peice of outdoor gear you wish were available but, right now isnt?

I would like a Suunto X-Lander that was only 0.25" thick. I love the one I have but it's huge and stands pretty tall on my wrist. Oh, and I'd like it for $50! :smile: