PDA

View Full Version : Canadian/American tempterature Conversion

Turk
2005-11-15, 01:55
maybe you've heard this one... still a good one.

Canadian Temperature Scale:

At +70 degrees F.
Texans turn on the heat and unpack the thermal underwear.
People in Canada go swimming in the Lakes.

At +60 degrees F.
North Carolinians try to turn on the heat.
People in Canada plant gardens.

At +50 degrees F.
Californians shiver uncontrollably.
People in Canada sunbathe.

At +40 degrees F.
Italian & English cars won't start.
People in Canada drive with the windows down.

At +32 degrees F
Distilled water freezes.
Lake Superior's water gets thicker.

At +20 degrees F
Floridians don coats, thermal underwear, gloves, and woolly hats.
People in Canada throw on a flannel shirt.

At +15 degrees F
Philadelphia landlords finally turn up the heat.
People in Canada have the last cookout before it gets cold.

At 0 degrees F
People in Miami all die...
Canadians lick the flagpole.

At -20 below
Californians fly away to Mexico.
People in Canada get out their winter coats.

At -40 below
Hollywood disintegrates.
The Girl Scouts in Canada are selling cookies door to door.

At -60 below
Polar bears begin to evacuate the Arctic.
Canadian Boy Scouts postpone "Winter Survival" classes until it gets cold
enough.

At -80 below
Mt. St. Helens freezes.
People in Canada rent some videos.

At -100 below
Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.
Canadians get frustrated because they can't thaw the keg.

At -297 below
Microbial life no longer survives on dairy products.
Cows in Canada complain about farmers with cold hands.

At -460 below
ALL atomic motion stops (absolute zero in the Kelvin scale).
People in Canada start saying, "Eh, Cold 'nuff for ya?"

At -500 below
Hell freezes over.
The Leafs win the Stanley Cup

dropkick
2005-11-15, 02:33
Reminds me of last winter, had a bonfire going, but it got so cold that the flames froze.
Wasn't to bad though, broke some peices off the flames, put them in a bottle, and used it as a reading light until it got a little warmer.

Seeker
2005-11-15, 11:49
yeah... that's me there... "at 70*, louisianans put blue foam pads in hammocks to prevent 'cold spots'..."

actually, it's going to go into the hi 30s tonight, supposedly... i'm sleeping out to experiment with my HH and pads... also hurt my back last week, and have found a lot of relief in the hammock... (another use for camping gear... 'honey, i just gotta have this... it'll help my back next time i strain it...")

The HotDog
2005-11-15, 15:08
Hey is that the high or the low? If 70 low the only change in Texas is a change from short-sleeve to long-sleeve, shorts to blue jeans and it usally signals the start of the camping season :elefant: if it 70 high we pull out the long johns and the "winter" camping gear :biggrin: .
Oh yeah forgot to mention when we go swimming in lakes at 70 its called a polar bear swim and thats usally only for the crazy ones :stupid:

dropkick
2005-11-16, 02:05
Oh yeah forgot to mention when we go swimming in lakes at 70 its called a polar bear swim and thats usually only for the crazy ones :stupid:
If you don't have to break through the ice to reach the water, then it's tropical.

Used to swim in an outdoor unheated pool in the winter all the time, would dive through the ice. (until it would get to thick)
When camping in the winter I like to go to the river at night and bathe in the below freezing water (moving). -Makes sleeping feel warmer, deeper, and more refreshing.
Trick is to pay attention to your fingernails, if they turn blue, get out.

Watch people jumping into "cold" water on t.v. every year, and always think "It's not that cold, Why they jumping out of the water so quick?" I'd at least do a little swimming.

Seeker
2005-11-16, 11:21
If you don't have to break through the ice to reach the water, then it's tropical.

Used to swim in an outdoor unheated pool in the winter all the time, would dive through the ice. (until it would get to thick)
When camping in the winter I like to go to the river at night and bathe in the below freezing water (moving). -Makes sleeping feel warmer, deeper, and more refreshing.
Trick is to pay attention to your fingernails, if they turn blue, get out.

Watch people jumping into "cold" water on t.v. every year, and always think "It's not that cold, Why they jumping out of the water so quick?" I'd at least do a little swimming.

DK, you're a nut :biggrin: ... but way braver than i am, so you have my respect... :adore: actually, my tolerance for the cold was a lot higher when i lived up north... but i never did anything like swimming in ice water... i've heard that the american indians put their kids through similar trials... enured them to the cold, made them stronger, and was just part of their upbringing...