PDA

View Full Version : Got NEW orders

jimtanker
2005-11-15, 19:52
Looks like im going to be in your neck of the woods there Rock. I HAD orders to Fort Irwin but they got deleted somehow and now I'm going to Fort Bragg of all places. Anyone ever hear of a tanker recently going to Ft Bragg? Not me.

Anyone on here from the Ft Bragg community??

Seeker
2005-11-16, 00:09
lucky you!

used to be tankers in 3-73 AR, i think it was... the guys who thought dropping a tank out of a plane made sense... not sure that unit's still there...

any word on the MGS or similar vehicle going to the 82nd? or a stryker varient maybe? or they may be reclassing you 11B (just kidding...)

as far as who on here is there, check the members list... it's got people's locations... though not all put one down...

jimtanker
2005-11-16, 03:05
I dont plan on reclassing. I'm working on light weight backpacking and 80 pounds dont qualify.

Hell, the first units in the army wont get MGS's till this time next year. If at all. Thats what I plan on being on though.

SGT Rock
2005-11-16, 12:39
Are they really going to get MGS for the 82nd? Last I heard the 82nd was resisting anything bigger than a M1114 for a combat vehicle.

jimtanker
2005-11-16, 12:58
I'm hoping, yea I know(hope in one hand and shit in the other and see which one fills up first), that they are going to be smart and get the M8 AGS.

The AGS is a much better vehicle in my oppinion.

(Comments about congressmen, senators, and/or generals making money from kickbacks for the contracts deleted.)

Olive Drab
2005-11-16, 21:18
lucky you!

used to be tankers in 3-73 AR, i think it was... the guys who thought dropping a tank out of a plane made sense... not sure that unit's still there...

any word on the MGS or similar vehicle going to the 82nd? or a stryker varient maybe? or they may be reclassing you 11B (just kidding...)

as far as who on here is there, check the members list... it's got people's locations... though not all put one down...Sheridans have been out of division for..well i dont know but for a long time. My buddy was an 11C in that unit during desert storm. I think his troop was the only one not to go to Saudi. Hes still feels robbed that he didnt get to go and didnt get his CIB.

Olive Drab
2005-11-16, 21:21
Looks like im going to be in your neck of the woods there Rock. I HAD orders to Fort Irwin but they got deleted somehow and now I'm going to Fort Bragg of all places. Anyone ever hear of a tanker recently going to Ft Bragg? Not me.

Anyone on here from the Ft Bragg community??
Im going to shoot off an email to my buddy in HHC 1/505th. He may know what the deal is since he got pulled off the line to play in the S-3 as Ops NCO and is in the loop with the new brigade restructuring.

jimtanker
2005-11-16, 23:56
Thanks OD. If you can give me a contact that I can email or call I would much appreciate it.

Olive Drab
2005-11-17, 01:05
Jim,
this is the message he sent me

19D's are part of the new MTOE, but as far as I know that's the only 19 series MOS. I did hear somewhere that one of the units in Europe is getting stationed here. Which unit, from where, etc. I don't know.

Sorry I can't help out much, bro, but that's all I know. 19D's... oh and 19Z's too, I suppose. They're the only guys in RSTA Bns.

Jim
sorry I cant be of more assistance.

jimtanker
2005-11-17, 22:57
Thanks OD,
Some info is better than none. I'm going to call branch tomorrow and see if there was a mess up. There was another Kenyon(my last name) at the same levy brief that I was at. He's infantry and getting stationed at Knox(home of armor). Hmmmmmmmmm

Olive Drab
2005-11-17, 23:39
I guess he wasnt as in the know as I thought. When is the PCS?

SGT Rock
2005-11-18, 09:01
I did some research on this. There was a contract approved for the MGS of some sort, but I can't get an idea if this takes into fielding or not. And still no exact word if the 82nd is even getting them, they want to be a totally different MTO&E without anything bigger than an M1114 for direct combat as of the last insider at the top. Apparently they also still have 4 of the M8s in their inventory that are left over from the fielding. Anyway, when I was at 2d ACR when they were going Stryker, the M1128 (MGS) was going to get 19Ks for crews, and I was already getting assigned the 19Ks for the new crews. Then they made th call to change the unit to Ft Lewis and I got re-assigned because my HHT job was being turned into an infantyma's slot (Go figure the HHT in a RECCE was now an 11Z slot?) so I lost contact with all that. Anyway, according to my inside source, there is supposed to be some sort of staff position in a brigade for the 82nd that would be like an Armor Liason for when they were teamed up with Armor - sort of like an ALO or Engineer liason. Personally it doesn't make any sense to me.

Iceman
2005-11-18, 10:13
Imagine my confusion, not having a military background. Wow Rock, you said a mouthful!

I will have to take JimTanker for a beer, to get the information converted to "civilian". :biggrin:

SGT Rock
2005-11-18, 13:10
Yes, you would have to get a degree in military lingo to understand it. It makes perfect sense to us Army guys.

Seeker
2005-11-18, 13:19
iceman,
if it makes you feel any better, i got out in '95 after 11 years in, then started working for a defense contractor in 2002... the change in language in just 7 years was amazing... it was literally 2 months before i could understand what was going on at meetings without my partner translating for me. i made a little list of new acronyms on the back of my notebook, and we'd go over it after a meeting until i re-learned the language... it IS definitely a different world.

rock,
it was probably a political decision between the branches... with the new bde structures being more 'blended', i'm sure certain bde HQ slots for 11/19Z had to be swapped... if you look at the commanders of the new BSBs, they account for the missing EN, MI, SC, and AD 'division troops' battalion command slots... make sense? this is probably the senior enlisted version of the issue...

just realized you were in 2/2... your new commander was supposed to be bill prior... he and i were platoon leaders together in 3/2 ages ago... did you ever serve with him?

SGT Rock
2005-11-18, 13:38
iceman,
Rock,
it was probably a political decision between the branches... with the new bde structures being more 'blended', i'm sure certain bde HQ slots for 11/19Z had to be swapped... if you look at the commanders of the new BSBs, they account for the missing EN, MI, SC, and AD 'division troops' battalion command slots... make sense? this is probably the senior enlisted version of the issue...

Well it wasn't the Brigade HHT slot, and in that I would agree since all Striker Brigades are supposed to be Infanty-centric (new buzz word for you) but this was the RECCE Squadron which is still a cavalry organization with 19D based Cavalry Ground troops. The CO and CSM are all supposed to be Armor positions, but the HHT is going to be an 11Z position. In a good squadron, the CSM should be able to groom his best 1SG to take that slot and work for him as the HHT 1SG, but now that is sort of going against the grain of how that has traditionally done. The reason I was given from my friend at FORSCOM was this was a compromise for the Infantry because under the new force structure they lost some 11Z 1SG positions.

just realized you were in 2/2... your new commander was supposed to be bill prior... he and i were platoon leaders together in 3/2 ages ago... did you ever serve with him?

Nope, never served with him. I served under LTC Armstrong until CoC in July 2003, then LTC Hoffman until I left 2d Cav in September 2004.

jimtanker
2005-11-18, 13:56
Called branch today and finally got through to him. I'm going to be working in Div G-3. Thats going to be interresting for me. I'm not exactally a spit and polish kind of guy, but I guess I can learn.

Battle staff college here I come!!

Iceman - I'm going to hold you to that beer. Just let me know when. I work Sat but tonight would be fine. Give me a call. There is a bar near the old South Sound mall that has always been smoke free. Cant wait till next month when they are all smoke free. Only law that Kalifornia ever passed that I agree with.

Seeker
2005-11-18, 17:13
Well it wasn't the Brigade HHT slot, and in that I would agree since all Striker Brigades are supposed to be Infanty-centric (new buzz word for you) but this was the RECCE Squadron which is still a cavalry organization with 19D based Cavalry Ground troops. The CO and CSM are all supposed to be Armor positions, but the HHT is going to be an 11Z position. In a good squadron, the CSM should be able to groom his best 1SG to take that slot and work for him as the HHT 1SG, but now that is sort of going against the grain of how that has traditionally done. The reason I was given from my friend at FORSCOM was this was a compromise for the Infantry because under the new force structure they lost some 11Z 1SG positions.

Nope, never served with him. I served under LTC Armstrong until CoC in July 2003, then LTC Hoffman until I left 2d Cav in September 2004.

compromise/politics... sounds about the same...

ok.. just thought i'd ask... i think armstrong was a troop commander in the regiment when i was there... golf troop rings a bell, but it was a long time ago, and they were stationed quite a distance away from us...