PDA

View Full Version : Cutting board/bowl combo

dropkick
2005-11-21, 01:54
I stole this idea from a similar bowl that I ran into somewhere on the net - don't remember where, but think it was a UK site - if I ever find it again I'll tell you who it is.

Anyway I saw their product, thought "Neat, have to see if they import these" and forgot about it until the other day when I was in the kitchen using a cutting board/sheet, and thought "Bet I could make a bowl out of this".

I bought the cutting sheets at the grocery store (pack of 2) about a year ago, planned to trim one of them down and use it for hiking, but they never made it past the kitchen. The one I used is kind of beat up but it worked great for making my bowl.

I cut a 10 inch square out of the sheet, and then made a crease about 2 inches in on all 4 sides. I then bent a diagonal from the corners to where the first creases met. I bent the resulting triangles over against the sides of the new bowl and secured them with paper clips.
I thought about leaving it like this, but I wasn't satisfied as the I felt the clips added unnecessary weight (and also might be lost while on the trail). So I clipped some holes high on the side with a paper punch and tied them with string.
I am thinking that when I make my final bowl out of new material I might use plastic snaps. -That is how I believe the original was made.

If my explanation wasn't good enough hopefully you can see what I did from these scans (I need to tell Santa that I want a digital camera for x-mas).

Seeker
2005-11-21, 14:37
i seem to remember someone ran a thread on that bowl... maybe on WB? i just use a cheap plastic bowl (1oz) if i carry one at all, like when i have my daughter with me... still a cool idea though. seem to remember something about birchbark vessels being made like that...

dropkick
2005-11-21, 19:22
Thing that's neat about this is it can be stored flat, and used as a preparation/cutting board before folding it into a bowl.

Sgathak
2005-11-21, 21:55
http://www.orikaso.com/

PKH
2005-11-22, 04:51
birchbark vessels being made like that...

Great. Start the countdown Seeker. Now it's just a matter of time before some bright spark makes himself a cutting board canoe. To be stored flat of course.

Cheers,

PKH

Iceman
2005-11-22, 10:40
Too late; (figures)

http://www.porta-bote.com/history.html

dropkick
2005-11-22, 16:25
http://www.orikaso.com/
That's the product (don't think it's the site I was at though).
I made the 3rd one, what they call a dish, looks more like a square bowl to me.
1st and 2nd products look to difficult to make for me.
Just tried making the bowl, it kept unfolding.

SGT Rock
2005-11-22, 18:43
I saw some folks on my last AT trip using these. Interesting stuff. What would be even more practicle is if you could make one that was insulated as well as serving as a bowl or cup or plate.

JimM
2005-11-23, 00:15
I've used the bottom half of a gallon milk container as a bowl.
Jim

SGT Rock
2005-11-23, 09:14
I've done that one too. Works well.

Lanthar
2005-11-23, 11:49
That's the product (don't think it's the site I was at though).
I made the 3rd one, what they call a dish, looks more like a square bowl to me.
1st and 2nd products look to difficult to make for me.
Just tried making the bowl, it kept unfolding.

The bowl is tricky to fold. If you do it the way you think is right, it comes undone, however the 'right' way it locks itself pretty tight. the material may have to be a certain thickness / stiffness to work as well.

incognito
2005-11-23, 20:34
Chinese fast food carryout containers have an interesting folding patern, any posibilities of using that patern?

I think I'll get me a couple and tinker :)

Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained

incognito
2005-11-25, 18:46
Chec out this sitehttp://www.orikaso.com/ (http://)

Kea
2005-11-27, 00:15
Okay, I got the cutting boards....

Now what?

Kea, veteran tinkerer

dropkick
2005-11-27, 10:35
I cut a 10 inch square out of the sheet, and then made a crease about 2 inches in on all 4 sides. I then bent a diagonal from the corners to where the first creases met. I bent the resulting triangles over against the sides of the new bowl and secured them with paper clips.
I thought about leaving it like this, but I wasn't satisfied as the I felt the clips added unnecessary weight (and also might be lost while on the trail). So I clipped some holes high on the side with a paper punch and tied them with string.
I am thinking that when I make my final bowl out of new material I might use plastic snaps. -That is how I believe the original was made.

If my explanation wasn't good enough hopefully you can see what I did from these scans (I need to tell Santa that I want a digital camera for x-mas).
Or you can get an idea from this site:
www.flatworld.co.uk/dish.html
This is the easiest to fold - actually I couldn't get the other folds to work.

-They used 2 snaps in each corner and left the triangle in the corner protruding, I made 3 holes and tied the triangle to the side of the bowl (you can see this in my scan). When I build a new one, if I replace the tie off holes with snaps I am going to use my setup and only one snap per corner (with snap going through middle hole). -If my explanation is confusing, you'll see what I mean once you start building it, and it will become clear-

atraildreamer
2006-07-04, 23:51
-They used 2 snaps in each corner and left the triangle in the corner protruding, I made 3 holes and tied the triangle to the side of the bowl (you can see this in my scan). When I build a new one, if I replace the tie off holes with snaps I am going to use my setup and only one snap per corner (with snap going through middle hole). -If my explanation is confusing, you'll see what I mean once you start building it, and it will become clear-

My thought is that you should use just one long length of nylon cord threaded through all of the corner holes and have a cord lock that you could use to hold the cord tight and maintain the bowl shape. Releasing the cord lock would allow you to flatten the bowl. :hello: