PDA

View Full Version : Compact Oil Burner?

Lanthar
2005-11-29, 14:39
If he can keep it from sooting, Tinny may have a winner (http://www.minibulldesign.com/myadventure/index.php?itemid=196)

Wish he had a closer picture...

Hog On Ice
2005-11-29, 16:24
oil stoves aren't too difficult to make - a container for the oil, a top metal piece with a bunch of holes punched for the wicks (can be a 0.25 inch wire mesh also), a bunch of twisted toilet paper wicks stuck through the holes down into the oil, adjust the amount of wick above the metal top piece so the flame from each wick will be relatively small so it does not soot (start with 0.25 inch above the metal and adjust from there), light an appropriate number of wicks (more wicks burning faster boils, more oil used, greater likelyhood of sooting) after the oil has soaked into the wicks with a match lighting the farthest one first (lighters can be used if they don't burn your fingers - experiment), if a wick is sooting use a pair of sissors to trim the wick shorter (ie cut the part above the metal top piece) or just shove it down a little and then relight.

The problems I have with oil stoves is how the heck to pack it so left over oil does not get into undesired locations - this is probably a container issue but so far I have not found a good answer.

Lanthar
2005-11-29, 20:44
HOI, you ever tried modifing a trangia? seems some sort of insert would work the way you describe... and would be 'sealable'

Hog On Ice
2005-11-29, 21:21
HOI, you ever tried modifing a trangia? seems some sort of insert would work the way you describe... and would be 'sealable'

I don't have a trangia to try this with but that is the general idea that I have - a small metal can with some type of screw top or possibly a press top (small paint can for ex) - I just have not come across one that I like so far. Of course the real problem is that I am basically happy with my current alcohol stove setup and so I have not really been looking too hard at the oil stove approach.

Lanthar
2005-11-29, 21:34
Of course the real problem is that I am basically happy with my current alcohol stove setup and so I have not really been looking too hard at the oil stove approach.

Of course, that's a perfectly good problem to have :biggrin: