PDA

View Full Version : 12 mm led 9 volt mini light + other stuff

incognito
2005-12-07, 22:36
I use a 9 volt battery for many things. This is a mini led that I made, fits on top of a 9v bat.

I also converted a small radio over to a 9v system.

I use 9v rocket ignitors for emergency fire starters.(packet of powdered magnesium the size of a credit card pictured also)

9 volt stun gun (just for fun) :biggrin:

Some of my home made gear 9 volt style.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/urbanfilter002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/2005_0111urban0001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/ultimtfrstrt005.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/2005_0124stungn0005.jpg

Kea
2005-12-07, 23:29
You can stun someone with just 9v? How?

Seeker
2005-12-08, 00:17
i'm not an electrical anything, engineer or otherwise. but it's not the voltage that gets you... it's the amperage, if i'm not mistaken (i'm sure i'll be corrected if i'm off... someone help me out here...)

that's why people survive lightning strikes... high voltage, low (ish?) amperage... something about if it were water, voltage would be the pressure, amperage is the actual amount of water... resistance is like the thickness of the pipe... maybe that will help... (but somehow, i think i made it worse. but at least the guy who steps in to clean up my mess will tell it to us straight!)

Mutinousdoug
2005-12-08, 00:30
A capacitor will store a charge suficient to get a human's attention assuming the several milisecond charge is not diffused on their clothing. A friend of mine was looking for a homemade electric fence for his horses when this was suggested to him. We were going to modify a camera flash unit. After discussion, our concept was rejected as horses and cattle are much more sensitive to electric shock than humans and none of us were electrical engineers anyway.
Read the warning on the back of your TV. This is 125VAC of course, but the principle applies.
Incognito's stun gun is a stretch...If you could actually shoot it through someones tongue, it might prove annoying.

The HotDog
2005-12-08, 01:08
A capacitor will store a charge suficient to get a human's attention assuming the several milisecond charge is not diffused on their clothing. A friend of mine was looking for a homemade electric fence for his horses when this was suggested to him. We were going to modify a camera flash unit. After discussion, our concept was rejected as horses and cattle are much more sensitive to electric shock than humans and none of us were electrical engineers anyway.
Read the warning on the back of your TV. This is 125VAC of course, but the principle applies.
Incognito's stun gun is a stretch...If you could actually shoot it through someones tongue, it might prove annoying.

Now those camera flash things can be used as a stun gun.
Those little capcitors are powerful.
I know from personal experince. I touched the metal thing in it once and I felt the eletricity hang on to my hand after I dropped the thing, the battery was out of it too. :damnmate: :stickyman

dropkick
2005-12-08, 01:48
A capacitor is a battery. It stores electricity. The difference is that it releases it's charge all at once.
- By the way, the capacitor in the back of most t.v.s is strong enough to kill you, and it can do it after the t.v. has been unplugged for years.

The reason some people survive lightning strikes is because of the path the lightning takes. If it travels on the outside of their body to the ground instead of through it they live. If it goes through them they die.

A normal lightning bolt has enough power so that if it traveled through your body it would burn a hole about the size of a pencil or larger from the top of your head to the bottom of your foot.

It only takes a very small charge (amperage) to kill a person if it travels through their chest (heart). Some people have been killed by 9 volt batteries but very few (less than a handful). It normally needs more voltage to push it's way through.

You can make a stun gun with a 9 volt but you need a transformer to up the voltage and a capacitor.

I was radio repair for part of my tour (31E) in the army and also had some high school and college electronics classes.

Seeker
2005-12-08, 15:24
thanks DK... i knew someone out there would have more solid facts...

jimtanker
2005-12-08, 17:47
Disposable camera stun gun (http://www.impactlab.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3360)

Lanthar
2005-12-08, 17:55
Disposable camera stun gun (http://www.impactlab.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3360)

Those can be a lot of fun, especially when you simply open the capacitor to contact and leave it where some will 'pick it up to see what it is'

incognito
2005-12-09, 18:16
tHIS IS HOW THE STUN GUN IS SUPPOSE TO WORK:

You point it at your assailant, when he sees it he starts to laugh uncontrollably. Thats when you run like hell and get your butt outa there.

It was made in a hurry to be a joke on a survival forum I once visited. Everything there seemed to hinge around putting survival items in Altoid tins. They asked me if I could get the kitchen sink in there also, check back here tomorrow and see if I did it.

See the LED light on the front of the gun, thats what I used to make the mini flash light. I made a whole bunch and stashed them everywhere. My flashlight of choice is powered by a 9 volt battery. I use lithium batteries for longevity. The ones I stash I put into a finger cot, availabe at Kmart pharmacy. One is pictured up there somewhere.

I'll post a photo of the flashlight tommorow. The name of it is SEA PAL, later to become the PAL LITE.
The information on the camera stun gun is fantastic, thank you.

Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained

incognito
2005-12-10, 11:33

Nope, could'nt do the kitchen sink ----------but--------got most of the bathroom :damnmate:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/2005_0119urbankit0020.jpg

9 volt flashlight: High intensity LED soft neoprene housing water resistant!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/skinner011.jpg

bird dog
2005-12-14, 23:21
Not sure how it all works, but I can tell you from experience that the last time I used my taser on a combative prisoner, he became the most polite person I have ever met. I guess that a five second ride on the 500 volt "lightning bolt" will do it everytime. I have been "tased" several times - drive stunned (a contact stun) and shot (probes into the skin); It is the worse pain I have ever experienced in my life. But once the five seconds are over, there are no residual effects...However, your will to fight the police is completely gone. Great party tool when everyone is drunk too. For the uninitiated, they never believe it is as effective as I claim. They learn fast. Most of the crooks in town know we have them now, and if I merely show it to them and aim the laser site, they relent and put their hands in the air! Short of the long --- Dont know how it works, just know that it does, AND WELL! BD

Iceman
2005-12-15, 00:26
bird dog, I totally agree with your comments about compliance after a stun, and before with the laser beam on the subjects chest. I too have "ridden the Buffalo" :elefant: as we call it out here. You cannot explain the pain to others well enough. :biggrin: Five seconds has never felt so long. When I got shocked, it took me to the ground and I whimpered and made all sorts of embarrasing little sounds...Took the macho' right out of me. Made a great video for our annual xmas party!

bird dog
2005-12-15, 00:58
Iceman, there are no words to explain it. However, word of caution. DO NOT USE TASER ON SUICIDAL SUBJECTS WHO HAVE DOUSED THEMSELVES WITH GASOLINE. It is now a warning issued with the product since an officer in a nearby town here tried it out. Needless to say, he got some paid administrative leave after setting the guy on fire. In his defense, he did not know that the guy was wearing "gasoline underwear". Made for a great news story though. To all the naysayers, check out the Taser web site. They have some "instructional videos" that show the effectiveness of this Less Than Lethal weapon for law enforcement. BD

Seeker
2005-12-15, 12:00
BD,

you need to submit that one to News of the Weird... google it, and send him the link to the news story... you'll be famous! (actually, all you get is acknowledged in a postscript at the bottom of the newsletter.)

funny, aside from the tragedy of burning flesh... hell of a way to get injured or die... (i was a tanker... great fear of being burned alive).

Hog On Ice
2005-12-15, 14:28
Took me a bit of searching but is this the event : http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/mld/myrtlebeachonline/news/local/12957509.htm ?

bird dog
2005-12-16, 20:03
HOI, Thats the one. I talked to one of the guys that works for Cumberland Co. while I was at a school with him a few weeks ago. If Im not mistaken, the guy died. The news story was a little different than the one he told me though. But definately the same incident! BD

bird dog
2005-12-16, 20:06
Seeker, HOI did all of the work finding the story. Ill let her send it to News of the Weird and be famous if she would like. My name has been in the local news enough the last couple of years. Mine was nothing like setting a guy on fire, but my boss told me to "bring it down an octave" with the "news worthy" events lately. BD

Hog On Ice
2005-12-17, 17:49
Seeker, HOI did all of the work finding the story. Ill let her send it to News of the Weird and be famous if she would like. My name has been in the local news enough the last couple of years. Mine was nothing like setting a guy on fire, but my boss told me to "bring it down an octave" with the "news worthy" events lately. BD

now I ask you - how many women end up with a trail name of Hog ...

well even though my ex wife tried her best I am _still_ a male

with respect to the News of the Weird - not too likely I'll do anything with that but there is an interesting blog that covers this stuff that already has this story - see http://xo.typepad.com/blog/crime/

bird dog
2005-12-17, 18:47
HOI - Please accept my sincere apology. I am sorry. Thats what I get for thinking. And yes, I do know a hog.....I was married to one before....At least thats about the worse I can say about her in a public forum. But thats a trail story best suited for the trail and not a trail website. Again, sorry MAN. BD