PDA

View Full Version : Size MacCat?

eyewall
2005-12-26, 02:22
Seriously considering a MacCat tarp for my HH. Brian at OES recommended a standard size. Planning for an AT thru in 2007, and I hate solid surfaces for sleeping :) Suggestions/comments? Thanks...cm

txulrich
2005-12-26, 09:44
Seriously considering a MacCat tarp for my HH. Brian at OES recommended a standard size. Planning for an AT thru in 2007, and I hate solid surfaces for sleeping :) Suggestions/comments? Thanks...cm

It depends on which HH you have. I have the Expidition asym. I didn't feel the standard was long enough, so I got the deluxe. When it's set right, I have about 15" of tarp on each end beyond the hammock. For me, it allows me to sleep better when it rains. Just have the confidence that I won't get wet. I know that to some would be blasphemous, but the extra couple of ounces are worth it to me.

The bottom line, Brian is making a high quality piece of gear and you won't be disappointed.

Just Jeff
2005-12-26, 11:59
I'm comfortable in the Standard with the HH BULA, and it still has a bit of extra room to cook and stuff. I hear the Deluxe is cavernous...you might like the extra room, especially if you spend lots of time under it, but I think the Standard will be enough for most hammocks. Just depends on what you're looking for.

Hog On Ice
2005-12-26, 14:18
I'm comfortable in the Standard with the HH BULA, and it still has a bit of extra room to cook and stuff. I hear the Deluxe is cavernous...you might like the extra room, especially if you spend lots of time under it, but I think the Standard will be enough for most hammocks. Just depends on what you're looking for.

The key for me is the ridge line length since I have one of the larger HH, an Explorer Deluxe. I had Brian make me up a custom MacCat with a longer ridge line length (160 inch) specifically so that I could hang some stuff from the hammock support ropes and still have it under the tarp. Note I have tried several tarps with this hammock and the MacCat "Titan" is the best IMO. The JRB 8x8 was a good tarp but the ridge line length just was not what I wanted - it barely covered the length of the hammock with no extra. The Oware 10x10 was good also with good coverage but the seam wasn't diagonal and water tended to pool in a pocket where the seam crossed the ridge line and it tended to be noisy in the wind. The original tarp was OK but I wanted more coverage.

eyewall
2005-12-27, 02:04
Thanks Guys, leaning towards the Deluxe. On a recent 5 night out I discovered that I hung a lot of stuff off the ends, so I need that extra tarp length, and that peace of mind too!

PKH
2005-12-27, 06:16
I've owned a HH standard ultralight for years and have progressed from the fitted fly to an ID 8 X 10 tarp, which is much better in really vile conditions. I'm about to replace the ID tarp as it has reached the end of its useful life. Pretty sure I'll be going with the MacCat deluxe. Those extra few inches (and ounces) make all the difference in the world.

Cheers,

PKH

Seeker
2005-12-27, 11:47
obviously, there are weight and size limits to this technique, but i discovered that i can hang some items off the ridgeline and drop them down through the velcro slit. this keeps them off the ground, under the tarp, and near at hand, all at once. mostly, i do this with my boots, but it works for my pack too.

you might also consider adding a small beak to the end of your stock tarp, if you want more storage space.

bird dog
2006-01-02, 00:28
obviously, there are weight and size limits to this technique, but i discovered that i can hang some items off the ridgeline and drop them down through the velcro slit. this keeps them off the ground, under the tarp, and near at hand, all at once. mostly, i do this with my boots, but it works for my pack too.

you might also consider adding a small beak to the end of your stock tarp, if you want more storage space.

Great idea Seeker. I just got my HH a few months ago and have only gotten to sleep in it once. Im still tinkering with the set up and looking for good ideas. Recently looked at the sling shot tensioner thread and plan on making a set. Hope it turns out. I got the standard tarp, but I too would like for it to be a bit larger. Maybe upgrading soon if I can ever sleep in the thing and get a good feel for it. BD

Seeker
2006-01-03, 13:01
Great idea Seeker. I just got my HH a few months ago and have only gotten to sleep in it once. Im still tinkering with the set up and looking for good ideas. Recently looked at the sling shot tensioner thread and plan on making a set. Hope it turns out. I got the standard tarp, but I too would like for it to be a bit larger. Maybe upgrading soon if I can ever sleep in the thing and get a good feel for it. BD

i slept out in mine last night... my back was bothering me so bad i couldn't sleep... even a couple aspirin wasn't helping... went out and fell asleep almost immediately, and slept 6 hours straight before i had to pee... glad i left it set up from this weekend.

if i ever get hold of some more silnylon, i'm going to try a 'beak' on the one side, just for a gear shelter... i'll let you know if i ever get it done.