PDA

View Full Version : Bear bag

xxKYLExx
2006-01-16, 23:42
Is it neccessary to carry a bear canister on a through hike of the AT or can I get away with a bear bag?

Thanks

2ply
2006-01-17, 00:01
A canister is not nessary for the AT, too much extra weight and a bag works great. I have a friend who does carry one, uses it as a seat or table. It all come down to how much weight you want carry.HYOH

Seeker
2006-01-17, 10:43
most AT shelters have some sort of bear pole arrangement, and even 'primitive' campsites in the smokies (an possibly the other national parks on the AT) have them. just run your bag up them like a flagpole. bear canisters are required in some western parks.

xxKYLExx
2006-01-18, 20:36
Ok that's where I got mixed up. I know that I read somewhere that bear canister were mandatory, but that's out in the western parks. Thanks, that really saves me some money and weight!

GregH
2006-01-27, 20:08
Are they makeing bear bags again? All of the Spectra had been going to military use and they couldn't get any supply.

GregH
2006-01-27, 20:12
I jumped over to their site and picked up the following:
" Ursack is made of high tech Vectran fabric, the same material used in the airbags on the Mars Rover when it safely crashed onto the planet's sharp and rocky terrain. The new URSACK TKO 2.0 has approximately the same tensile and break strength as the Spectra TKO. "
So, they've switched fabrics and are back in production. That is good news.

JaketheSnake
2006-02-01, 22:37
The URSACK just got approved for the Sierras to. You do have to have the AL liner in but it is a step in the correct direction

dropkick
2006-02-02, 03:10
Are they makeing bear bags again? All of the Spectra had been going to military use and they couldn't get any supply.
I could be wrong but I think when xxKYLExx says bear bag he's talking about a bag you you put your food in and hoist out of harms way . Not a UrSack.

You should go at least 200 feet from your campsite and put all foodstuffs and smelly things in the bag (i.e. bears like toothpaste) and hoist it out of harms way. Either on an outstretched branch, or on a rope strung between 2 trees.
If more people had done this nobody would be requiring canisters now.