PDA

View Full Version : Jetboil GCS?

Lanthar
2006-01-21, 17:40
Did anyone else get your 2006 Backpacker Gear Guide yet? If so flip to page 100... Apparently they 'announced (http://www.jetboil.com/About_Us/Press-Room)' it in August but are releasing it soon...

For those of you who don't have the mag, it's a 1.5 liter 'pot' mor of a standard pot dimensions rather than the tall narrow pot... wow, sweet... not this isn't the 'pot stand' this is a pot with flux ring

Salvelinus
2006-01-21, 22:01
Just got it, saw it on the cover. Looks very nice. I haven't opened the mag yet, but you bet I'm gonna take a look. :)

Seeker
2006-01-23, 01:04
they finally rated some Western Mountaineering bags this time... and guess what? WM put an ad in the mag this year.... coincidence? yeah. must be...

Salvelinus
2006-01-25, 22:54
What did you guys think about the inflatable tent? I know there wasn't much real info, but I thought it was interesting . . .

Seeker
2006-01-25, 23:42
well, it was definitely interesting... but not for me... i'll stick with my hammock... still waiting for someone to add a CO2 cartridge to the thing, for even lazier campers...

did anyone see that "thing" on page 28? i guess it's a pack, but has way more bells and whistles than i need... 'swivelling hip pad' or something like that... looks more like some medieval rack/iron maiden/torture device... still, bet it only weighs about 5 lbs... :biggrin:

Lanthar
2006-01-26, 19:07
Seeker, at first I read you're post and thought "what?" then I flipped to the page you indicated and went 'ahhh...' I remember seeing that...

Seeker
2006-01-27, 12:03
hideous, isn't it? (ftr, i carry a golite gust... a sack with straps.)

glad you found it, or you'd think i'm more off the wall than i really am...

Salvelinus
2006-01-28, 11:34
they finally rated some Western Mountaineering bags this time... and guess what? WM put an ad in the mag this year.... coincidence? yeah. must be...

Speaking of that . . . is it just me or are there WAY more ads and fewer reviews this year?

Seeker--I saw the pack, too. For all the engineering that went into it, they still didn't figure out how to keep all the weight off your feet . . . :laugh: At least it has an "Adjustable U-Bar," though. :confused:

:biggrin:

Seeker
2006-01-29, 01:15
gotta love their idea of 'lightweight' gear too... 3lb packs and 3 oz headlamps, under their own 'lightweight' headings...

can't really tell if there are more ads. nice color glossy pictures though...

dropkick
2006-01-29, 05:52
What did you guys think about the inflatable tent? I know there wasn't much real info, but I thought it was interesting . . .
If you look back into camping history you'll find that almost every year someone new reinvents a tent with an inflatable frame.

Some of the problems that the tents have are air leakage, strength under load, vulnerability to wind, breathability, rainwater puddling between the inflated sections (& leaking), sagging as the air cooled/pressure dropped, etc.
Many people have tried to overcome the problems but as far as I know nobody ever has.

I've read about hexagonal shaped tents, pyramids, tents with small battery powered fans to keep up the pressure, domes, and I can't remember what else.
They were all touted as the wave of the future, but they all disapeared.

I'll stick to the tried and true.
....Besides, does anyone else remember when air matresses were the thing?
And do you also remember the lightheadedness, and the feeling that your lungs were going to collapse? :eek:

Hog On Ice
2006-01-29, 10:52
....Besides, does anyone else remember when air matresses were the thing?
And do you also remember the lightheadedness, and the feeling that your lungs were going to collapse? ...

Well actually I think air mattresses are still the thing - down filled air mattresses that is - for use in hammocks below freezing. No light headed feelings however - I use a pump.