PDA

View Full Version : TP5 ultralight pressurized stove

incognito
2006-01-31, 22:08
TP5 Teacandle Pressurized alcohol stove

Put a little twist into the T candle stove :biggrin:

Put in a threaded fuel port and added a wick to the top of it to get it to goin.

Put a few drops of fuel on the wick material, torch it and it's on it's way.

The wick heats the knurled screw in the fuel port and the top of the stove to get the fuel to evaporate internally and away she goes.

No test boils have been done.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/TinyTP007.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/TinyTP005.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/TinyTP006.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/TinyTP002.jpg

dropkick
2006-02-01, 03:58
Cool I really like it.
If you don't mind I think I might steal elements of your design.

I've been thinking of trying something like this with gelled alcohol. Don't know if it would get the gell hot enough to start vaporizing and burn, but it's worth a try.
If it works, I thought it might be worth while as a slightly safer fuel alternative (tip overs, etc.) and be less of a leakage worry.
Even if it doesn't work....I get to build something.
Still need to gell the alcohol and build the stove, so it may be a few days before I get back to you on whether it worked, as have some busy days ahead (in addition to stove fabricating).

incognito
2006-02-01, 22:52
Hand Sanitizer is gelled alcohol. Pictured on the Dual Flame thread.

Steal the elemts why don't ya :biggrin:

I made this little thing to inspire stovies.

I don't recommend using this type of stove, they are dangerous.

They overfill real easy causing it to go into a ball of fire when least expecting it.

They blow up under certain conditions.

BE CAREFULL!!!!!!!!!!!

Iceman
2006-02-02, 00:00
I made this little thing to inspire stovies.
I don't recommend using this type of stove, they are dangerous.
They overfill real easy causing it to go into a ball of fire when least expecting it. They blow up under certain conditions.BE CAREFULL!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, share a bit more. What specifically do you know about them blowing up? I am sure folks here deserve a bit more. If you know of something specifically that is dangerous, show respect for those here and share all of your knowledge about this issue, they deserve this respect.

incognito
2006-02-02, 20:02
The first TP5 I tested blew up. The holes were too big and had too little fuel in it. It was filled with vapor/fumes. When I lit it, POW, blew the top off. The top was not sealed to the bottom in a permanent fashion.

I know from personal experience the hazards, I give you my personal testimony that I know these things that I have said are true. Time will bring forth more info to add to this thread.

If you fill one of these too much when it is heated with fuel that is usually put into the primer disc/pan to get it to produce vapor for the jets to ignite, the alcohol expands, rises up and out the holes and catch on fire by means of the fire in the primer disc. The whole thing then starts to burn out of control. I KNOW!!!!!!! this happened to me several times. Ask my wife, :biggrin: She'll tell ya the story how we burned an 8 inch circle into the top of a plastic picknick table at a roadside rest area along the Interstate in Wisconsin.

A near empty gas tank on your car will surley blow up if you put a match down the fill port. If your tank is filled to within 6 inches from the top, won't blow up, just burn.

Tinney knows all about the dangers of these type of stoves, he recommends the use of leather gloves when using his stoves.

I'll do a search and come back with some more.

I respect everyone here, I'll give you more info as it comes in, and I ask all of you to add your input also.

Here is some info, read his entry for 06 March and 17 March
http://www.minibulldesign.com/myadventure/index.php?blogid=1&archive=2005-03 (http://)

Salvelinus
2006-02-02, 20:30
Yep, I've had it happen, too. On a pressurized model that wasn't epoxied, I stupidly forgot to replace the screw on the fill port--realized it as soon as I lit it, and just had time to get my hand back when the top of the burner popped off of the bottom. Fortunately I was setup on a fire-resistant surface so I just let the flames burn out.

Gotta be careful with those things, but they sure are fun to play with! ;)

incognito
2006-02-03, 19:18
These posts were made on Appalacian Trail Whiteblaze.net

In the Homade Gear Forum

The name of the thread is "White Gas Bonanza with pics"

I quote:

Patrick: I know, man. Total crap.

I had an alcohol one blow up once, so I figured this was a lock. I feel like I really let the team down.

I need to put the videos up. The highlight is my girlfriend coming out and screaming for me to put it out.

Knightwalker: Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
I had an alcohol one blow up once, so I figured this was a lock. I feel like I really let the team down.
Build a Photon and light it with the screw out of the fill hole. You'll get yer explosion. They pop really good with alcohol when missing the fill screw. Gas oughtta be a real hoot.

Use a VERY long lighter!

Patrick: That's interesting. The stove that blew up on me was a wedding tin with only a very small hole in the top.

Nightwalker: Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
That's interesting. The stove that blew up on me was a wedding tin with only a very small hole in the top.
It's the very small hole. Same with the un-closed Photon. Huge, fast vapor pressure spike. BOOM!

Fireboy: I had one blow up also, left the screw out of the fill hole. Also had one that the fuel expanded while the stove heated up and overflowed into a ball of fire. These little things can be hazardous to your health and equipment. Be cautious

The two quotes come from Minibull Design. They are located in the "archives" for the month of March.

March 6:06 March
Gloves --heat --stoves --burns!!!

I probably play with more stoves on a daily basis than the average person. I do a test burn on every new design and also on a few every day just to check my work. After being burned several times ,once quite badly. I now wear a thin pair of leather gloves that weigh almost nothing and are worth their weight in gold. you can also use them for any project that may damage your hands. I would highly recommend that anybody using any backpacking stove wear a pair of gloves. A burn on your hand can really mess up your trip and even cut it short if it is bad enough. Why take a chance. I don't anymore!!! Next time you burn yourself on a stove give this a thought

This one is March 17. by tinny:06 March
17 March
Bug bags--Catchup and Exploding stoves
I had an email from a customer who says his TREK exploded and set him on fire. I think he may have filled it to the brim with fuel and then got in real close and lit it. I am not real sure about this but when ever I am working with highly flammable substances inside of a confined space I usually stand back before lighting them up and usually use gloves I recommend you do the same. also don't use this stove in bed unless you have asbestos sheets. Catchup and potcozies ---I see they have an article in backpackinglight magazine on the antigravity pot cozy. it asks if its weight can be justified in your pack. I weighed a big one used on the antigravity 2 liter pot

Iceman
2006-02-03, 20:39
Incognito, You da' Man! Thanks for the info.