PDA

View Full Version : Hunting, Fishing, Camping notes of interest

FranceyS
2006-02-10, 11:17
Just out of curiosity, what is the largest animal you have ever brought down?
And, how did you get it back to your vehicle?

Bye. FranceyS

Mutinousdoug
2006-02-10, 13:17
In 1982 I shot a 6 point bull elk in the Colorado front range, north of Rocky Mtn park (you can see Loveland from my camp on top of West WhitePine mtn). The rack unofficially scored 322 Boone and Crockett points ( one of two common scoring systems). There are bigger bulls in the state but for public land, that one was uncommon.
I shot him about 7:30am only about 1/4 mile from camp. Unfortunately, camp was 500 ft higher in elevation. Quartered the carcass and sawed the ribs off about half way up from the sternum. Carried the two front shoulders out on a pack frame, then one ham per trip, then the back. My wife and 11 year old daughter carried the antlers, liver, head and cape out on an aspen pole and a bow hunter who had heard the shot from my muzzleloader, carried the two shoulders up for me (right neighborly guy). We got it all up to camp about 2:00 that afternoon. Never could talk the daughter into going hunting with me after that and I don't hunt horns anymore, just meat.
A taxidermist I knew had promised to mount my horns in trade if I shot a big one and brought him the cape in good shape. An elk shoulder mount is pretty imposing unless you live in a bar or a mountian chalet, so the trade for the horn mount suited me just fine. Even so, I had to move to a house with cathedrial ceilings to hang the dang thing.

dropkick
2006-02-10, 19:02
Elk 4 trips with a packboard. This is why my legs are so short ....got compressed with every trip.

Mutinousdoug
2006-02-10, 20:28
Elk 4 trips with a packboard. This is why my legs are so short ....got compressed with every trip.

I hear you.
My last sucessful trip was in 2001. Me and two buddys hiked about 4 miles into a 20-30 sq mile roadless area and set up a dry camp. Snowed all night Friday after we got in. Season opened Saturday. One guy shot a raghorn Saturday evening. Sunday morning I shot a nice 2 year old cow. We decided to quit then, thinking about the hike out, through the snow. While we were packing up camp, about noon, 4 elk wandered up on us. The guy who hadn't shot his, looked at us and pleaded: "Can I shoot one?" I can still see the expression on his face.
What are you going to say? We boned out all three and made 3 round trips each total. 24 miles total. We made the last trip Tuesday morning. I had a blister on the BOTTOM of both feet.
You couldn't pay me to do this for anyone else.

Iceman
2006-02-10, 22:44
Our biggest elk was a permit cow I shot years back. Big. My wife helped me pack it out, from the bottom (of course) of a large canyon/clearing. During the whole time of gutting, skinning, and quartering, over an hour and a half, the herd never left the clearing... Sort of funny to see my wife with a 100lbs of meat on her back, carrying it out...! When she got it to the top of the hill and road, and fell over backwards onto it, she unhooked, stood up, and (my wife never swears) pointed down at the pack of meat and exclaimed "nobody gets any of that F-ing elk!" :smile:

We usually bone out the elk, and drag out the deer. Sometimes carry the deer out on a pole if in an area where there is a road... We once knocked down a bull on a gravel road (after much chasing thru the woods...), gutted it, and loaded it whole into a pickup, taking it to camp to skin on a tarp, man that was nice...

Generally speaking, we walk in to hunt most of the areas we frequent, so that we are not hunting anywhere near "road hunters." Nothing worse than seeing some guy drive thru an area and step out of his idling pickup and dump an animal. But it happens. (I did it once, I admit...couldn't pass up the buck...) :biggrin:

Seeker
2006-02-10, 23:27
funny story... unless you're w/PETA...

west germany, 1980-something (to protect the innocent)... grafenwoehr training area, tank table VII (HEAT rounds, crew qualification), night run.

side note... we shot at plywood targets... 4 x 8 sheet with the top corners trimmed looks like a tank moving sideways... 4 x 4 sheet with the top corners trimmed looks like a tank head on.

newbie lieutenant, 2nd gunnery... at night, they try to keep the targets within the view of a 7x night vision sight... but sometimes things happen... gunner can't see the target come up... so we scan a little left, then a little right... still can't acquire... then we see it... off to the right a little more... hot spot in the site, looks like a tank, head on... a 105mm HEAT round flies through the air toward its rondevous with the plywood... suddenly, the sight sort of washes out from all the heat it sees... we'd plugged one of those little deer...it literally exploded... its legs were so thin, they showed no heat... the head was down, feeding, which looked like the one corner shaved off the panel... the tail was down the other side, looking like the other shaved corner... oops...

and that's the largest gun i've ever used to bring down a deer... oh wait... yo meant largest animal? :biggrin:

Iceman
2006-02-11, 04:09
funny story... unless you're w/PETA...

P eople
E ating
T asty
A nimals

:biggrin:

jimtanker
2006-02-11, 12:10
Seeker - I've seen heards of sheep shot down that people thought were infantry targets and plenty of cows shot by HEAT rounds. I guess that they thought that they were MOOOOOOVING targets. Fun stuff.

Of course Icemans' rifle is more powerful than our tank guns are. He can pack out a whole elk on his shoulders.

Seeker
2006-02-11, 14:17
never heard about the sheep... but i've heard about lots of cows getting hit at fort hood...

i miss gunnery... fortunately, one of my co-workers is an ex-tanker SGM, and we get to talk a lot... still, nothing like that first lungful of cordite and associated shower of burnt powder falling on you at the first calibration range... but talking helps... (would love to fire one of the 120s...)

dropkick
2006-02-12, 19:39
I don't care if it is faster, I'm still going to take meat scraps and cuts to the butcher to be made into burger.

FranceyS
2006-02-13, 11:08
In reading the above posts, how very interesting, all the various reasons for 'hunting', some for the need to provide food for the table, some for the fun of using the skills of hunting, some for the hunting comraderie, and others for other reasons.

When we lived on Long Island, NY, every hunting season my husband looked forward to the week or so dedicated to the trip upstate to go hunting: the getting together with his buddies, the skill of wood's hunting, the camping, the drinking and carousing, and the skill or luck of one or another getting a deer or two. It was something he really looked forward to.

Then, we moved to the farm in Virginia...175 acres of woods and meadows and streams. Birdsong calling in the early morning and whipporwills in the evening, such peace and tranquility. Deer just about everywhere before dark and in the dewey morning...there for the taking. However,
instead of taking advantage of the hunting season and 'taking' whatever he wanted, he lost all interest in killing. Nothing gave him greater pleasure than to go out of an early evening to burn the trash, then to stand not 100' from a grazing deer, have them hold their place and watch him as he was watching them.

Thanks for sharing your hunting experiences. Bye. FranceyS

Sgt.Krohn
2006-02-19, 02:15
March71- west side of LZ Center- 30 miles southwest of DaNang about 5 klicks from HiepDuc- coming off of Hill-510 on an EagleFlight- very hot LZ!! - rice patty with fire across the rice patty from two directions- a couple the Huey pilots didn't have the guts to get us on the ground so we were jumping off the skids from about 6' off the ground while he flared- last man out of my bird was 'Whitey'- he was sitting in-board and had to slide over to the door before he could out- by this time the pilot was leaving and had already started to lift out- Whitey jumped from about 15' with his full pack on- landed on the edge of a rice patty levee on his tail bone and broke his tail bone- we already had about 6 men hit and down in the mud and were still trying to secure the LZ. Whitey is laying against the levee in the mud screaming in pain and a freaked out water buffalo that was in the rice patty, caught in the fire fight ran over and tried to stomp & gore poor Whitey. It took us about another 15 minutes to secure the LZ and then call the medivac choppers back out to pick up the wounded.

That night we setup an ambush over that same rice patty and that same water buffalo was still out there. Our LT saw him in our starlight scope. We had a 90mm recoilless rifle with us. The LT had the gunner load a round of "BeeHive" and turned the water buffalo into hamburger. There wasn't enough left to pack out

Sgt.Krohn
2006-02-19, 02:21
FranceyS- I quit rifle hunting back in the mid 80s. I've been an archer my whole life and the only way I've hunted since the 80s is bowhunting (I do still bird hunt with a shotgun). In Texas one of our favorite hunting game animals is hunting feral hogs at night. It is a wild and crazy sport !!! What we really like about hunting feral hogs in Texas is there is no season and we can hunt them 24/7. And feral hogs are mostly nocturnal.

dropkick
2006-02-19, 03:56
In Texas one of our favorite hunting game animals is hunting feral hogs at night. It is a wild and crazy sport !!! What we really like about hunting feral hogs in Texas is there is no season and we can hunt them 24/7. And feral hogs are mostly nocturnal.
I understand that they are also the only game animal in the U.S. that if given a choice will attack the hunter.

Sgt.Krohn
2006-02-19, 12:58
I understand that they are also the only game animal in the U.S. that if given a choice will attack the hunter.
I wouldn't say they're the only game animal in the U.S. that will attack a hunter (bears & mountain lions will also) but a hog will definitely give you a rush when they charge you with their cutters - sorta like bein' a bull fighter.

dropkick
2006-02-19, 18:33
I was going for 9 times out of 10. In most instances a bear or a mountain lion will go away if given the choice.
Though I do worry about that 1 in 10. I've been stalked by a cat (in a city park!) and had a few friends mauled by bears.

incognito
2006-02-20, 11:39
[quote]I've been stalked by a cat (in a city park!) [quote]

Tell us more about this one!!!!!!!!

What I invision in my mind is not a cougar [rollin on the floor]

Take-a-knee
2006-02-20, 12:55
Khron

What is your archery setup? In your picture you are shooting fingers. Do you hunt hogs at nite with your bow?

To stay on topic a friend killed a black bear in the N GA mountains (not far from the AT) and getting that thing out was a suffer fest. Not being a western hunter we were not prepared with packframes to quarter and pack it out. I have since remedied that situation. We did have a "deer sleigh"(a big thick sheet of rigid plastic) that worked well but I will never attempt a one-mile drag again. GA DNR wants all bears brought to the checking station whole but I got the ranger to admit that was a policy not a reg. Next time I'll quarter and pack.

Sgt.Krohn
2006-02-20, 19:16
Krohn
What is your archery setup? In your picture you are shooting fingers. Do you hunt hogs at nite with your bow?
To stay on topic- a friend killed a black bear in the N GA mountains and getting that thing out was a suffer fest. We did have a "deer sleigh" (a big thick sheet of rigid plastic) that worked well but I will never attempt a one-mile drag again.

TAK
I shoot recurves (been an archer since the 50s- competed with compounds until the early 80s- have always hunted with a recurve- always a fingers shooter)
On one of my hunting bows I have distance gap marks that are glow-in-the-dark tape from my darkroom- they are great for shooting hogs in the dark. We also have spotlights that screw into our stabilizer threaded hole on the front with a doorbell switch we squeeze just before we shoot.

http://tinypic.com/ka2s0n.jpg

http://tinypic.com/m8e81d.jpg

this is a hog lite you can buy
http://hawglite.com/
http://i1.tinypic.com/o7pset.jpg

here's one you can make yourself out of a 2-'C' cell Maglite
http://i1.tinypic.com/o7pta1.jpg

A number of years ago I started using a mountain bike to hunt from. That same year I bought a fold up game cart from Cabela's for $120. I have rigged it so I can tow it behind my mountain bike. I use it for deer, hog and walk-in duck hunting. It's one of the best tools for hunting I ever bought.
It hangs on my bike rack on the back of my Trooper with my bike- life is good ;-)

I also use it to haul bags of garden stuff around my yard for my wife !!!!!

http://tinypic.com/9fun10.jpg

http://tinypic.com/9funop.jpg

dropkick
2006-02-21, 01:09
I've been stalked by a cat (in a city park!)

Tell us more about this one!!!!!!!!

What I invision in my mind is not a cougar [rollin on the floor]
Was walking my dog in a city park along the Bitterroot river when I noticed my dog acting kind of iffy. She kept looking into the woods along side us. I started looking too. Spotted a cougar trying to sneak up on me from the woods.
I made myself big and growled at it. It left.
The cougar may have been after my dog or just curious, but we have had cats attack people in my neighborhood before.

Sgt.Krohn,
I had a cart similar to that that I used for hauling a large cabin tent. The tent finally rotted away (WW2 army surplus that I got from my father), and the cart got shoved into a corner somewhere. Lately I've been thinking that I should find it and possibly start using it for other purposes (FranceyS got me started thinking about this in another thread). - I just hope I didn't have it in one of the sheds up on my land, as everything I had there got roasted in 2000.