PDA

View Full Version : The ever practical woman

Turk
2006-02-14, 02:07
Why do women inevitably have a nack for pointing out our
worst muddy logic and over simplify our worst character flaws?

The Economics of Hiking and Outdoor Adventure:

Let's be honest. Not all of us are masters of homemade gear,
wrestlers of silnylon and natural born gear makers. What do we do
to compete? Well we buy stuff. Often in triplicate redundancy
over a number of years. Anyone ever tally up what your most
current high end gear has actually set you back? Forget grand
total. Just one good set for one person.
eg:
pack = $380
bag = $425
shelter = $220
kitchen = $190
map/nav = $125
clothing = $800
footwear =$300
waterproofing =$220
survival =$310
1wk food =$130
- here's where my standard hiking setup would end. = $3100
This is no "off the top of the head" calculation here. Im adding up
every little piece of gear that make up these sections.
But im getting into the expedition kayak scene so allow me to continue:
roof rack =$600
WW boat = $1700
boat mods =$530
paddle =$550
lifejacket =$190
helmet =$130
eyes =$70
drysuit =$525
leash =$40
pogies =$60
drybags =$110
floatbags =$100
repair kit =$50
total = $4655

So you've got $7755 worth of stuff and you manage to break away
for a week from work. Well ... you have to get somewhere right.
So you have:
travel expenses = $150
gas for the car = $320
parking/permits = $90
total =$560
You hit the trail head and this little week of "roughing it" has run up
$8300+ Compare that now to if you had taken the wife to some
stark white, hosptial clean, herbal spa resort-ish thing place.
If you had to finance your gear against your week in the bush you're
talking 1187$ bucks a night. And wifey, calls this "roughing it" ?!
No way babe, ... you've got a 5 star white water paddling,
hammock swinging, Ti-cooking, down bag sleeping paradise!
Best Western has got nothing on your accomodations.
But in reality .... you could have saved some money and sat in a mud
bath for a week with seaweed on your face and elevator music.
Would have been cheaper :biggrin: :biggrin:

Just some food for thought..

Turk
2006-02-14, 02:16
oh lord ... even worse.
Reading Icemans post made me think of this one....
Wifey says the dreaded words .... something like this:

"We should do this together. We never do anything as a family."

multiply x 4. then make the logical choice any man would;
cut a check now? or dump off your old bulky, heavy worn out
gear on the family?

you weren't using it anymore anyways :biggrin:

KLeth
2006-02-14, 02:55
He he - My better half wants to tag along! :biggrin:

In fact I wouldn't be able to go alone if I wanted - Unfortunately that also almost doubles the bill for gear, food and fares. This year accomendations and fares are around 3200$. And then comes new gear and food - Waterfilter and food for 15 days.

We had already purchased the Primus Omnifuel, since we can't be sure to get LBP nor white gas.

dropkick
2006-02-14, 04:11
My hiking partner right now is a black lab/hound cross named Jamee.
For now I think I'm better off this way.
Miss some of the obvious things, but Jamee's companionship is a lot less trouble in the long run.
Cheaper too.

PKH
2006-02-14, 08:07
Well Turk, I also have a similar bar (hiking) tab over the years. Fortunately I can say that it has all come from personal, rather than from combined or household funds. Still.

There are very few cheap hobbies and habits. At least my hiking expenses have been spread over 10 or 12 years, and surely I won't be spending much more, will I? I know people who spend 7 to 10 bucks a day on cigarettes, not to mention the absolutely essential cost of beer. Maybe we're not doing so bad after all. Of course, if you have the hiking habit plus a daily booze and smoke intake . . . . . . . . . . . well as is said in that famous Christmas carol, "Well God bless you". :)

Seeker
2006-02-14, 10:59
turk,

why? because a good woman is usually right... they sometimes seem to add 1+1+1+1+1 to get 5, where the rest of us men would simply see 2+3+5, but because they break it down into each individual component, their logic is sometimes flawless... of course, then there's the whole emotional logic, which after 19 years of marriage still makes no sense... but i've learned that it works, even if it seems like magic... sort of like a GPS... i understand the theory, but not how it actually works... i just know that it does work, and trust it...

a bad woman, as the bible says, is a curse... (in Sirach, somewhere... called Ecclesiastes, i think, in the protestant bible).

i also have learned to trust dogs, cats, and small children when it comes to how they react to people... they see things the rest of us don't...

anyway, my 2 cents...

MalTheElder
2006-02-14, 17:10
<he he he . . .>

A good woman has her own gear already, IMHO. Or man, partner, w/e. You get the point. <he grins evilly>

Happy Valentine's Day? :love:
Mal the Elder

Seeker
2006-02-14, 17:36
reminds me of that old joke about the guy who advertises for a wife and then asks for a picture... of her boat.

fieldcraftsman
2006-02-14, 18:23
OMG, here I thought that I was the only one who got the Chinese water torture at home for having bought so much gear! :biggrin: At least one thing, I can be guaranteed that the rest of the family won't be joining me. My wife gets skeeter bits in hotels even!

dixicritter
2006-02-14, 22:34
LOL.... y'all are funny!

And SGT Rock could outfit a small platoon with all his gear. I shudder to think what it has cost us over the years.

Oh and NO WAY am I going with him!! However, he can take the boys and I get the house all to myself! :dancing2:

KLeth
2006-02-15, 01:41
I'm a very simple person - I think :rolleyes:
Fortunately my better half accepts that I buy new gear IF either WE or I NEED it. And she know how grumpy I get if gear is broken, in bad condition, doesn't perform as well as it should or something newer and significant better is on the market at a reasonable price.
She also gets exited about new gear :biggrin:

We have our hiking routines - I make most of the meals (I'm the stovie as you know), make coffee/soup, dig latrines, haul water, get firewood, make fire and navigate/pathfind - She sets up camp, pick berries, make desert and break down camp. Sometimes I help with the camp and sometimes she make a meal or haul water :)
It's very beneficial for our relationship to share hiking as a passion. We also train for our hikes by walking longer distances almost every weekend. This way we also get to talk and be together (and I get to boil water). If we're unable to do our weekend walks we frequently both get a bit "on edge".

Rosaleen
2006-02-16, 08:05
Hey, Dixicritter-
Cut Sarge some slack, here. He has received some of his gear free in exchange for testing and reporting, AND some of his research is paying off by way of the stove business!

I like to think I'm keeping my gear costs own by making or finding some second hand, as well as testing for BackpackGearTest.org. Once my time and effort are factored in for testing and writing reports, I consider that I "pay" for gear, just not with $$ out of the family income. Heck, a set of replacement limbs for hubby's bow came with an invoice for $500. He doesn't even want to start asking how much MY toys cost.

Rosaleen

Seeker
2006-02-16, 13:00
at the risk of hijacking this into a thread on how to pay for our addictions, i'd lke to share a technique i use to "find" money... i go TDY occassionally to some out of the way places... the army pays for it, and gives me a per diem for food and incidentals... what i don't use is still mine... since a hotel/motel, even the cheap ones the army puts you in, usually have a complimentary breakfast, and i usually don't eat much anyway, i save some money there. if i go without lunch, that's another couple bucks... if i eat the cheapest thing on the menu and don't have coffee or dessert, that's a few more... after a week of this, you can make a couple bucks... i make more if i go somewhere expensive (higher per diem rate) like alaska or puerto rico, less if i go somewhere more normal (fort hood, fort stewart). my wife graciously lets me keep that money for gear. and i keep her chocolate jar full (you ladies and enlightened gentlemen know what i mean)...

weekender
2006-02-16, 16:10
At the risk of sounding nieve "chocolate jar" please i think i need to be enlightned :adore: :adore:

Seeker
2006-02-17, 15:59
ok, this is a secret... no man must know, and no woman will ever tell you... so don't tell anyone...

almost all women are chocolate addicts... hence the age old courting gift of a box of them... there's a chemical in chocolate that is a definite mood enhancer/endorphin, and it seems to ease some of a woman's cravings/moodiness/whatever it is during her, shall we say 'cranky time' (PMS), or when she's a little down about something/anything else. most women have a stash somewhere in a house... freezer, top shelf of a little-used cupboard, whatever...but they will never admit it... something about being seen eating allegedly fattening foods and being embarrassed by it... so it's a 'private' fix/addiction... i 'found' my wife's many years ago, and since it was useless to pretend, we just got a jar and it sits out prominantly now... if i want to be happy and i'm smart, i keep it filled... if i want to suffer, i let it run out... pretty simple... and, i can help myself when i'd like some too... just as long as it's not the last piece... sort of along the lines of 'if mama aint' happy, ain't nobody happy'... if you're not married, you may not understand... if you are, you probably do... if you still don't, you've either not been married long enough, or just haven't been paying attention... in either case, keep your woman in chocolate... you'll be happier...

blackdog
2006-02-17, 17:02
in either case, keep your woman in chocolate... you'll be happier...
Chocolate works, except when your better half has diabetes. In that case "sugar rush" means a chase around the house. The semisymbolic gesture of bringing her a fancy chocolate box still works, though. Yep, the content is a lovely way to increase a low glucose level, if that ever happens...

Seeker
2006-02-17, 17:59
Chocolate works, except when your better half has diabetes. In that case "sugar rush" means a chase around the house. The semisymbolic gesture of bringing her a fancy chocolate box still works, though. Yep, the content is a lovely way to increase a low glucose level, if that ever happens...

you're right, of course... sorry about that... i wasn't thinking... but they do sell diabetic candies and chocolates here in the States... expensive as heck though. not sure if they sell them overseas... guess you can find anything these days, via the internet... wonderful invention, that...

GregH
2006-02-17, 22:33
...keep your woman in chocolate... you'll be happier...
That is a beautiful line, and full of great wisdom.

j.johnson
2006-02-17, 23:15
I have adapted the same kind of idea as Seeker, only I made a deal with my wife that the last Diet Dr. Pepper (drink of choice in our home) belongs to her no matter how thirsty I am or how hot it is out side in South Texas, It works wonders when I need, or want something for myself.

weekender
2006-02-18, 09:53
:adore: :adore: all hail seeker the mystic guru of the science of woman. thanks for the heads up :biggrin:

Iceman
2006-02-18, 20:30
I mostly agree with Seeker, and (therefore) I must really be in touch with my "feminine side" cause the chocolate stash in this house is for me. :) My wife is the icecreamaholic. I once returned from a hunt, to spy a suspicious tupperware container in the back of the freezer. Inside the container, Ice cream, placed within, to conceal the fact that she had knocked off a half gallon while I was gone, and had to put the surplus from the new box in hiding, to make the new box look half eaten. Sort of like putting a little water in your dad's bourbon, in case he has marked the bottle.. (The freezer is my domain, where I place all my shot or caught..so I noticed it immediately...) Anyway, I left a small note in the icecream explaning that I think she has a problem, and that it is ok to talk to me about it, blah blah blah. (She gave me the finger) :biggrin:

Keep Ice cream in stock= happy wife.

eyewall
2006-02-20, 04:11
10-4 to that...

dixicritter
2006-02-21, 19:00
Hey, Dixicritter-
Cut Sarge some slack, here. He has received some of his gear free in exchange for testing and reporting, AND some of his research is paying off by way of the stove business!

I like to think I'm keeping my gear costs own by making or finding some second hand, as well as testing for BackpackGearTest.org. Once my time and effort are factored in for testing and writing reports, I consider that I "pay" for gear, just not with $$ out of the family income. Heck, a set of replacement limbs for hubby's bow came with an invoice for $500. He doesn't even want to start asking how much MY toys cost.

Rosaleen

That is true too. Still we have to store it all, had to buy new shelves for that...LOL.

SowthEfrikan
2006-02-25, 14:30
Excuse me, I am the hiker in my family, and I am the one who gets quizzed by the other half when I grab gear - and I luuurv gear. I must admit, though, he has taken to the trails quite well, and now gets a glean in his eye when I mention REI. So it ain't just a wimmen thang. Men are guilty, too. :dancing2:

Seeker
2006-03-23, 11:56
I finally remembered this, and here it is...

It is a wonderful advantage to a man, in every pursuit or avocation, to secure an adviser in a sensible woman.

In woman there is at once a subtile delicacy of tact & a plain soundness of judgment which are rarely combined to an equal degree in man.

A woman, if she be really your friend, will have a sensitive regard for your character, honor, & repute. She will seldom counsel you to do a shabby thing; for a woman friend always desires to be proud of you.

The Earl of Litton (1831-91)

PKH
2006-03-23, 12:48
No doubt Seeker.

"Behind every great man, stands a surprised woman"

Cheers,

PKH

Rosaleen
2006-03-23, 13:06
Iceman-

"Anyway, I left a small note in the icecream explaning that I think she has a problem, and that it is ok to talk to me about it, blah blah blah. (She gave me the finger)"

Ha, ha! I like your wife without having met her!

Rosaleen