PDA

View Full Version : extra function for alcostove?

blackdog
2006-02-21, 07:12
Was searching the net for stuff about solar cooking and stumbled upon this idea: A coke can mirror (http://www.wildwoodsurvival.com/survival/fire/cokeandchocolatebar/) for starting a fire. Could it be something to add to the underside of a alcohol burner? (Have we covered this subject before, btw?)

oops56
2006-02-21, 08:58
It can be done but to much work plus it will get mess up to easy better to carry a magnify glass

deadeye
2006-02-21, 09:26
neither of which is much good when it's dark or stormy, when you need a match the most

oops56
2006-02-21, 09:57
neither of which is much good when it's dark or stormy, when you need a match the most
flint steel better always workes night &day & even when gets wet

dropkick
2006-02-21, 21:10
Ever try to light a fire with a magnifying glass or a mirror?
I've seen it done on t.v. and even on line, but I used to try it when I was a kid and was never able to do more than singe a piece of paper.
I second flint and steel (they work even better when attached to a bic lighter).

incognito
2006-02-21, 22:31
Whatever your preferrence is, make sure it's dependable and you know how to prepare a fire bed, knowledge is power!!!!!!!!

Your life may depend on it!!!!!!!!!

blackdog
2006-02-22, 03:20
Using a focusing mirror instead of matches, lighters or such in the woods would be quite insane, but as an extra function it would mean another way of starting a fire. Another "thread" in the "safety net" outdoors. Different ways of making "tinder" would also be a good thing to know. Adding a mirror finish to the underside of a coke can wouldn't exactly add much weight either.

Would it be possible to create a big, inflatable mirror for higher power? It would sure be lighter than a magnifying glass of the same size. There's already a solar cooker made like that, but it doesn't focus the sunlight into a small point. Another possibility would be the sunbrella (http://www.sunspot.org.uk/sunbrella/), but how many use an umbrella when hiking? Here's what it looks like anyway.
http://www.sunspot.org.uk/sunbrella/sunbrella0.jpg

Remember to wear sunglasses when tinkering with solar stuff.

dropkick
2006-02-22, 06:37
If you were on the inside of a mirrored ball, what would you see?

Sorry, it's an old question which I've never really to my satisfaction figured out the answer too. Was reminded of it by the umbrella.

incognito
2006-02-22, 16:34
Inside of a mirrored ball would be darkness :biggrin:

oops56
2006-02-22, 17:45
All you hiker campers stovies etc. got to read this
http://www.minibulldesign.com/myadventure/

dropkick
2006-02-23, 02:45
O.k. inside with a flashlight....

Seeker
2006-02-23, 05:08
O.k. inside with a flashlight....

"goodness and light"

or at least dropkick and a light, in your case...

incognito
2006-02-23, 13:51
Inside with a flashlight!!!!!!!

You would see yourself looking short and fat.(from all angles)

Yah Right, as if I have been inside a mirrored ball :elefant:

My Guess is as good as any :biggrin:

Salvelinus
2006-02-23, 22:30
I'd say it would depend on where in the ball your eye was, and where you were looking . . . ;)

I looked at the first link--the Coke can thing--and found an interesting page about yet another stove! And I thought you all had invented them all! :laugh:

http://www.wildwoodsurvival.com/survival/fire/tinder/tinderfungus/abbfungusstove/index.html

incognito
2006-02-23, 23:25
[quote]All you hiker campers stovies etc. got to read this[quote]
htttp://ww.minibulldesign.com/myadventure/

This is in response to Oops 56's post that drew our attention to the use of pressurized alcohol stoves.

The following is a reminder and a Heads-Up to those that are not familiar with recent postings in this thread http://hikinghq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1566

Iceman made this post in reference to a statement that I made regarding the danger of using pressurized stoves:[quote] OK, share a bit more. What specifically do you know about them blowing up? I am sure folks here deserve a bit more. If you know of something specifically that is dangerous, show respect for those here and share all of your knowledge about this issue, they deserve this respect.[quote]

With respect to all the following is submitted:

The first TP5 I tested blew up. The holes were too big and had too little fuel in it. It was filled with vapor/fumes. When I lit it, POW, blew the top off. The top was not sealed to the bottom in a permanent fashion.

I know from personal experience the hazards, I give you my personal testimony that I know these things that I have said are true. Time will bring forth more info to add to this thread.

If you fill one of these too much when it is heated with fuel that is usually put into the primer disc/pan to get it to produce vapor for the jets to ignite, the alcohol expands, rises up and out the holes and catch on fire by means of the fire in the primer disc. The whole thing then starts to burn out of control. I KNOW!!!!!!! this happened to me several times. Ask my wife, She'll tell ya the story how we burned an 8 inch circle into the top of a plastic picnic table at a roadside rest area along the Interstate in Wisconsin.

A near empty gas tank on your car will surley blow up if you put a match down the fill port. If your tank is filled to within 6 inches from the top, won't blow up, just burn.

Tinney knows all about the dangers of these type of stoves, he recommends the use of leather gloves when using his stoves.

I'll do a search and come back with some more.

I respect everyone here, I'll give you more info as it comes in, and I ask all of you to add your input also.

Here is some info, read his entry for 06 March and 17 March
htttp://ww.maxibulldesign.com/myadventure/index.php?blogid=1&archive=2005-03

Salvelinus posted this:

Yep, I've had it happen, too. On a pressurized model that wasn't epoxied, I stupidly forgot to replace the screw on the fill port--realized it as soon as I lit it, and just had time to get my hand back when the top of the burner popped off of the bottom. Fortunately I was setup on a fire-resistant surface so I just let the flames burn out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These posts were made on Appalacian Trail Whiteblaze.net

In the Homade Gear Forum

The name of the thread is "White Gas Bonanza with pics"

I quote:

Patrick: I know, man. Total crap.

I had an alcohol one blow up once, so I figured this was a lock. I feel like I really let the team down.

I need to put the videos up. The highlight is my girlfriend coming out and screaming for me to put it out.

Knightwalker: Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
I had an alcohol one blow up once, so I figured this was a lock. I feel like I really let the team down.
Build a Photon and light it with the screw out of the fill hole. You'll get yer explosion. They pop really good with alcohol when missing the fill screw. Gas oughtta be a real hoot.

Use a VERY long lighter!

Patrick: That's interesting. The stove that blew up on me was a wedding tin with only a very small hole in the top.

Nightwalker: Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
That's interesting. The stove that blew up on me was a wedding tin with only a very small hole in the top.
It's the very small hole. Same with the un-closed Photon. Huge, fast vapor pressure spike. BOOM!

Fireboy: I had one blow up also, left the screw out of the fill hole. Also had one that the fuel expanded while the stove heated up and overflowed into a ball of fire. These little things can be hazardous to your health and equipment. Be cautious

The two quotes come from Minibull Design. They are located in the "archives" for the month of March.

March 6:06 March
Gloves --heat --stoves --burns!!!

I probably play with more stoves on a daily basis than the average person. I do a test burn on every new design and also on a few every day just to check my work. After being burned several times ,once quite badly. I now wear a thin pair of leather gloves that weigh almost nothing and are worth their weight in gold. you can also use them for any project that may damage your hands. I would highly recommend that anybody using any backpacking stove wear a pair of gloves. A burn on your hand can really mess up your trip and even cut it short if it is bad enough. Why take a chance. I don't anymore!!! Next time you burn yourself on a stove give this a thought

This one is March 17. by tinny:06 March
17 March
Bug bags--Catchup and Exploding stoves
I had an email from a customer who says his TREK exploded and set him on fire. I think he may have filled it to the brim with fuel and then got in real close and lit it. I am not real sure about this but when ever I am working with highly flammable substances inside of a confined space I usually stand back before lighting them up and usually use gloves I recommend you do the same. also don't use this stove in bed unless you have asbestos sheets. Catchup and potcozies ---I see they have an article in backpackinglight magazine on the antigravity pot cozy. it asks if its weight can be justified in your pack. I weighed a big one used on the antigravity 2 liter pot

IT IS MY OPINION THAT YOU WOULD BE FAR BETTER OFF BUYING A STOVE LIKE THE "ION" THAN YOU WOULD BE TAKING A CHANCE ON A PRESSURIZED ONE

Iceman
2006-02-23, 23:31
Incognito, you da' man, thanks for the info!

Rosaleen
2006-03-17, 21:35
OOPS56/Tinny-

I clicked your link. Too bad we are not neighbors. We could have fun working on projects together.

Anyway-I do believe I spotted an Adventure Medical Blanket over your hammock. Have you bought any lately? I think they are great, but I haven't seen any on the market for a while. Adventure Medical still has products around, but not this blanket, as far as I can see. It has a papery white side and an aluminum coated flip side, printed with emergency info. It relfects heat and is somewhat breathable. I find it works better for me if I use it inside my sleeping bag instead of over it. Cold air hitting the AM blanket results in condensation on the inner surface. Placing it inside the bag stops that.

Rosaleen