PDA

View Full Version : What to do with gear while hammocking

xxKYLExx
2006-02-21, 23:50
Here's the situation.

Food bag is hung 100 or so feet away. Hammocks hung. I'm all ready for a good nights sleep, but what do I do with my backpack, especially in the rain. I have a HH ul backpacker model hammock with the normal size tarp. Is it feasable to hang the pack from the main support line of the hammock under the tarp? Should I use a trash compactor bag as a pack cover also? If the pack is hung on the main line should it go at the foot or the head end?

Give me some ideas and please share what you do with your gear.

Thanks
Kyle

Just Jeff
2006-02-22, 01:02
One of the common complaints about hammocks. Certainly not insurmountable, though.

Organizing your stuff and keeping it out of the rain is a little different than a big tent with a large vestibule, but it's not too difficult. Some options:

- My favorite...get a gear hammock. I've made two types: the JRB Pack Cover Gear Hammock ( www.jacksrbetter.com ) and a kids hammock ( www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearKidsHammock.html ).
- Put your stuff in a compactor bag or pack liner under your hammock. The tarp will keep it dry, and the bag will protect it from ground moisture. This is easiest and lightest if you already carry a bag liner.
- Hang it with your bearbag. Kind of a pain if you realize you need something after it's hung.
- Clip it to the end of your hammock with a 'biner. The tarp will keep it dry unless you get windblown rain. Very easy to get to your stuff, though.
- Sleep with your extra stuff and stick your non-framed pack under your legs for insulation.
- Get a Clark and put your stuff in the pockets. Or sew your own pockets into your hammock.

Seeker
2006-02-22, 01:13
depending on your philosophy, you either have a lot of gear to hang, or none, or something in between... i don't have much left.

food, stove, and pot go up in a bear bag. water bottle, water bladder and fuel bottle stay on the ground under the tree holding up the foot end of my hammock. hiking staff is leaned against said tree as well. headlamp, caribiner watch, and thermometer are clipped to the ridgeline inside the hammock. chapstick goes in the little compartment of that mesh bag inside, and glasses go into a 3" x 6" fleece bag that i always leave in the big compartment of the mesh bag. Hammock and underquilt stuff sacks go on a mini biner that i stuck on the loop at the head end of the ridgeline. boots/shoes get tied to the ridgeline and hang inside or out, depending on if they're dry or wet/dirty. spare clothing is either on me or in my sleeping bag stuff sack for a pillow, or split between me and the bag, depending on temp... rain gear is folded and tucked up over the boots at the foot end of the hammock, handy to put on if i wake up to a storm. the rest of my gear is already in the single outside storage compartment/pocket of my golite gust pack. it includes any leftover tent pegs, first aid and repair kits, DEET, headnet, and that's about it. it probably weighs about 32 oz, including the pack. if it's a guaranteed clear night, i'll hang it off the caribiner i use to tie the foot end of the hammock to its tree hugger. if i think it might be a little foggy/rainy, i'll slip a garbage bag over it. if i know it's going to rain, i'll clip the waist belt around the end of the hammock, outside, and just let it hang there, head down. it's still safely under the tarp, but handy enough if i need anything. if it's a little cold, i'll empty the little that's left in the pack's outside compartment into either the JRB Underquilt or hammock stuff sacks. the pack then goes under my feet somewhere for added insulation. sometimes i carry a small piece of closed cell foam, roughly 14" square. that goes under my feet, butt, or back, if needed, or just left on the ground outside, held down by the walking staff. if i'm carrying a paperback book, it goes in a small pocket i sewed to the inside of the hammock, just big enough for a book and a water bottle, at about upper arm level, on the right side if you're laying on your back. if it's cold out, i can keep the water bottle in there, so i don't have to get up if i'm thirsty, and can pull it inside with me if i see the temp is getting close to freezing. can do the same with my alcohol bottle to keep it warmer, but i don't like to camp when it's cold.

(edited for spelling and grammar 6/25/06)

Rifleman
2006-02-22, 01:47
I'm with Seeker on this. If you need a smaller gear or kid's hammock pitched along side your H&H you've got too much stuff! Hang anything that has an odor that could attract animals. Take what you need into the hammock with you, either hanging from the center line or do the pocket thing (great idea if sewn properly). Your pack, if you don't need it for extra insulation, can go under the hammock, or hung from the hammock rope, or tied directly to a tree trunk. Put a large garbage bag (much lighter than silnylon) over it to protect it from the elements. There's one other storage option that you can do, unfortunately though, since there's an individual on this forum who tends to 'borrow' ideas and commercialize them for personal gain I can't in good conscience publish it on the web. Perhaps if we meet sometime I will show you this super idea.
R.

dropkick
2006-02-22, 06:08
.......and fuel bottle stay on the ground under the tree holding up the food end of my hammock. .......... if i see the temp is getting close to freezing. can do the same with my alcohol bottle to keep it warmer, but i don't like to camp when it's cold.
This is a sad thing to tell you but... bears really, really, like alcohol.
One of the main reasons that people aren't supposed to wear perfumes, make up, aftershave, etc. is because alcohol is an ingredient.
Don't know where bears got the taste (fermented berries maybe?) but I do know that they will go straight for a hip flask or bottle of rubbing alcohol.
Your fuel should go in your bear bag.

Iceman
2006-02-22, 10:15
What to do with gear while hammocking? How about bringing a tent only, and cramming all your gear, including food, cooking materials, stove and everything else around you, as you sleep like I do? All my gear is within easy reach and dry. If I get hungry, I grab a snack. In the morning, sometimes I even light up my stove in my tent. (Shame on me) Animals only sniff at the side of my tent, and havent taken a bite yet. I am such a risk taker.....

Seeker
2006-02-22, 14:05
This is a sad thing to tell you but... bears really, really, like alcohol.
One of the main reasons that people aren't supposed to wear perfumes, make up, aftershave, etc. is because alcohol is an ingredient.
Don't know where bears got the taste (fermented berries maybe?) but I do know that they will go straight for a hip flask or bottle of rubbing alcohol.
Your fuel should go in your bear bag.

thanks dude! i had no idea... bears aren't a real issue here, though they supposedly have been seen in the area in recent years... since i don't camp when it's that cold, i haven't had to sleep with it yet, but i'll keep it up from now on... if bears like alcohol, i'm certain that raccoons do too... and i have them here.

xxKYLExx
2006-02-22, 14:27
Hey, thanks for all the good info.

I'm still really new at this, but I'm trying to pick up as many tips that I can. Honestly, I think that I have read this entire website and message board three times. I still need is some more field experience tough. It sucks cause I've been on terminal leave for 4 weeks and my wife keeps giving me honey do chores.

Turk
2006-02-22, 15:15
If I am hiking (rather than canoeing/kayaking) I normally use my pack
as my bear bag. Sling it up a tree with the rain cover on.
Any personal items, toiletries, water and survival kit I hang from the
ridgeline inside my hammock.

dropkick
2006-02-23, 02:43
What to do with gear while hammocking? How about bringing a tent only, and cramming all your gear, including food, cooking materials, stove and everything else around you, as you sleep like I do? All my gear is within easy reach and dry. If I get hungry, I grab a snack. In the morning, sometimes I even light up my stove in my tent. (Shame on me) Animals only sniff at the side of my tent, and havent taken a bite yet. I am such a risk taker.....
When your bigger than the bear.......... :biggrin:

Iceman
2006-02-23, 11:01
Ya, I know. I am trying to work on that. I thought that maybe I would cut down on the weight on my feet, not my pack, maybe drop 25lbs...?

jimtanker
2006-02-23, 18:15
Yea, I've seen your tent Kevin. You dont have anything to worry about there.

http://www.rddusa.com/images/products/tents/TT10010.jpg

Iceman
2006-02-23, 23:27
Maybe I could hang a hammock inside the tent?

Seeker
2006-02-24, 05:43
that might work.

i had one inside my M577 once... life was good in the armored cav...

Gecko
2006-06-25, 22:10
Step one is to use waterproof stuff sacks organized in modules in a gearskin. At night the kitchen/food, and toiletry/hygiene/first aid/bug spray stuff sacks are hung or placed in the bear cannister (two sacks). The clothing bag and raingear bags make great pillows for the neck and under my knees. All personal items like book, journal, contacts, glasses, light, water bottle, and vaseline are in my tummy pack that hangs right on the ridge line. Boots are hung on the ridge line either inside or right outside the foot end.

My hiking sticks are clipped to the ridgeline right outside the exit. My mini-hygiene bag is right outside in case I need to get up at night. My water kit containing my Katadyn Pro, collapsible bottles and bucket, bladders, and bottles is lashed to the tree. My camp shoes clip to the ridgeline inside. If it's chilly I climb in my fleece sleeping bag covered with a cheap bivvy sack before sitting in the opening and lifting in my legs.

Once I'm in I can hang a light, take out my contacts, and use my glasses to read before I fall asleep. It's a matter of being organized. Oh, the gearskin can be rolled up and stored in the HH stuff sack, hung over the ridgeline inside or outside, until it's time to pack all the stuff sacks. This way I never have everything out at once. Either I'm cooking, or preparing water, or dressing. Never all at once. Everything is in its own stuff sack.

>^,^<

Pappyhighlife
2006-06-26, 17:16
Well I learned a long time ago sleeping in a hammock is great, camping in one is a bit different,not hardly like a tent.
I often bring along a small tarp 8X8 is my smallest I just tie it about 5 to feet up and it becomes my Den: Where I eat, work on projects, or just chat with a camping partner. Keeps out the rain and Sun Alike.
I never leave my pack on the ground, I always use my large ALICE pack I put a nylon rope in the center of the top cross bar with a large lite aluminum ring that I can hang to branches and such.I cover the pack with a rain cover and in all the years of hunting and camping it's never gotten wet or had little critters get in it.

Hang my Bear bag away from camp bout 50 feet up. Walk over to the HH bedroom and either read or go to sleep. "Home Sweet Home"