PDA

View Full Version : The Complete Walker IV

SowthEfrikan
2006-02-25, 15:15
Been hiking since the 80s but don't know it all, so was pleased to find this book by Colin Fletcher and Chip Rawlins. Lots of really practical advice that mirrors my own experience so I trust it, and anecdotes that have one chuckling, and no berating you on weight, or for wanting to take a pillow on a hike. They don't tell you what gear to take or which names to go for, but what to look for in the gear and how to test it on the shop floor, and why you might need it out in the field. Informative, entertaining read, wish I had found it earlier. Great for anyone interested in learning more.

KBob
2006-03-04, 10:47
All of Colin's books are great, have you read "The Thousand Mile Summer" or "the Man who walked throught Time"? great reads.

deadeye
2006-03-04, 11:03
They are great reads - I think that's what you get with a professional writer crossed with a passionate adventurer

SowthEfrikan
2006-03-04, 11:43
Of his that I have come accross and really have enjoyed it, so much so that despite being as thick as a bible I've almost finished reading it. I keep reading bits out loud to my hubby which annoys him, because he's reading, too. :)

Thanks for the info, I shall look for the others.

KBob
2006-03-04, 13:12
The books I mentioned are out of print, I found them again aftering loaning them out to EX-friend, at Amazon.com

dropkick
2006-03-04, 23:45
Someplace I have the first Complete Walker in hardback. It was my first hiking book.
Haven't read 4 yet but 1 was a very informative and easy read.

Seeker
2006-03-05, 16:05
i've browsed it at the bookstore... seems very 'conversational' and easy to read (small words, which i like...) maybe i'll get if for a birthday present... i keep hinting...

dropkick
2006-03-06, 18:47
Just was at the Goodwill and I found the Complete Walker 2 in hardback.
(At least I figure it's 2 - the title is The NEW Complete Walker)
Going to peruse it and see what is different from the first volume.
Can already see that it is thicker.

Salvelinus
2006-03-06, 21:22
I read the Complete Walker III a couple years ago. It was a great read, and full of information. It also helped me confirm what I already knew. The only problem with it was that, I think, it was written in 1984. Therefore, it was a bit dated. I'm glad to know there is a new one--might just have to put that on my birthday list.

KBob
2006-03-07, 08:13
Gotta agree reading and comparing all four of the "Walker" books is fun. To se how things have changed over the years, but how they also remain the same.

dropkick
2006-03-07, 19:06
What I like about older books is seeing the way they solved problems, and then trying to adapt that to today.
Some of the things that people recommend in the older books aren't as usable today. i.e. cutting up trees to make shelters, or carrying along a cast iron pan, but many of the things they did are both clever and totally usable.
I have found answers to many camping/hiking problems and good advice in books that were published in the '50's or earlier.
"There is nothing new under the sun."

-Having outdated ideas you can't use anymore doesn't really apply to the Walker books (not quite as old) and he was "leave no trace, lightweight packer" back when he wrote the 1st book, so most of his early work is still as sound as the day he wrote it.

Salvelinus
2006-03-07, 21:59
What I found dated, and only a little bit at that, was technological things like fabrics. He does go into some detail about equipment and the materials it's made out of. For example, there was no mention of silnylon in the third edition. I also wonder what he thinks of Tyvek, if anything.

Other than that, I think that the book is basically timeless.

fireballxl5
2006-03-28, 04:03
What I found dated, and only a little bit at that, was technological things like fabrics. He does go into some detail about equipment and the materials it's made out of. For example, there was no mention of silnylon in the third edition. I also wonder what he thinks of Tyvek, if anything.

I don't suppose you noticed that the 3rd edition was writtin in the early 80s.
'82 or '84 I think.

So the reason the 3rd edition seems dated is because it is.

Things that are 20 years old tend to be.

dropkick
2006-03-30, 00:59
I don't suppose you noticed that the 3rd edition was writtin in the early 80s.
'82 or '84 I think.

So the reason the 3rd edition seems dated is because it is.

Things that are 20 years old tend to be.
fireballxl5,
We were discussing how the information in the book held up over the years.
So yes, he did notice when it was written.
Did you bother to read his post?
Flaming someone with your first post to the board isn't very cool, and not even bothering to understand what the post said before you attacked it doesn't seem very bright.
Please think before you post.