PDA

View Full Version : Overquilt width for HH Asym?

Mutinousdoug
2006-02-28, 16:36
Question for you quilt making folks. I'm about ready to complete my over/underquilt system for the HH Asym by making a synthetic loft overquilt. How wide should it be? I made an underquilt last spring so, with that and a Northface 20f down bag, I'm good down to just below freezing but the bag weighs 3 lbs.
I think Jardine's single quilt is 57" or so which seems excessive for a hammock quilt. My poncho liner folded in half is about 30" wide and that's OK for 60f or thereabouts. I feel "exposed" and do have to do alot of re-arranging when I turn over . My guess is about 48" but I'd like to hear comments from those who have slept under one at the 30f-40f I expect to experience camping in Colorado in the summer and fall.
TIA

Seeker
2006-02-28, 18:01
MD,

i don't use a quilt, but i do use my WM Caribou opened up all the way and drape it over myself... it's about 64" around the shoulders, which is WAY more than plenty... fold that poncho liner at different widths, safety pin it in place, and try it out for width... make it a little bigger, a little smaller, and so forth until you figure it out... i'd say 48" should be plenty to cover ME and have some left over to tuck in underneath...but you might be bigger or smaller around than i am...

Just Jeff
2006-02-28, 18:42
JRB's hammock quilts are 48" and that's very comfortable for me in a hammock...still room left over to tuck in the edges. Maybe a bit narrow for rolling onto my side on the ground (but who wants to sleep on the ground, anyway?).

The Speer Top Blanket is 42" and I don't think I've heard a complaint about it being too narrow in a hammock (though I haven't heard too many people using them, either). I've never used a Speer Top Blanket.

30" seems way to narrow since my waist is more than that...there's no way I could sleep on my side without a draft. (Well, if I had enough draughts maybe I could sleep anywhere...) Obviously your body size and how much you move around when you sleep will make a difference, but it seems like 40" would be a bare minimum.

Remember that the fabric's dimensions will shrink as you stuff it with insulation. I.e. if you cut the material to 48x78, then put in the insulation, it'll end up smaller than 48x78. The more insulation you put in, the more it'll affect the size...if your quilt is good to 40F it might not make a difference, but if you make it good to 20F you might add a bit each dimension to compensate. (Sorry if you already knew this...thought it might save you some trouble in case you didn't.)

Mutinousdoug
2006-02-28, 22:46
Seeker,
My North face bag ( I think it is a "Super Kazoo") is about 54" across the shoulders when unzipped. I had to get in it and zip up to be comfortable with my underquilt last fall at "something?" less than freezing i.e. frost on the ground in the morning and a fair breeze through the night. The zipped up bag is pretty snug. I'm looking for a +30f/-40f system for summer in the high country.
I shift around alot at night even at home. Of course I can't sleep on my stomach in the HH ( I can't at home, in my waterbed, either!) and my shoulders are not so great (both orthroscoped) so once I get stiff from sleeping on my back, the circus begins. Once I'm awake enough to turn onto my side, it's no big deal to adjust the quilt to cover me. AS LONG as it's wide enough to do that, and keep me warm.
Jeff,
I hadn't thought about insulation shrinking the width measurement (or the seams either). I had planned a fabric tube/piping around the edges to put a cord through to gather the edge. That will shrink it some more.
I'm thinking: 54" un-sewn fabric and insulation. Let's say seams and piping bring that to 50". Turn that inside out for 48"? Then loft for another 2" shrink to 46"? The insulation comes 60" wide anyway so the only issue is final weight of the quilt; I won't save any money trimming it the way I want.

Thanks for your comments,

Doug