PDA

View Full Version : Fancy Eats

dropkick
2006-03-04, 02:03
Just made my family a fine noon meal of sliced dachshund sausages and pasta in a rich fruit sauce, served with baked flatbread, and they weren't impressed or even that appreciative.

They said it wasn't a fancy meal and insisted on calling it by it's vulgar or common name "Spaghetti O's and weinies with saltines".
They also kept trying to convince me that because tomatoes aren't popularly accepted as a fruit I should stop calling the tomato sauce a fruit sauce.
Try to upgrade the food around here and see what it gets you....

You guys ever make any fancy eats?

Tomorrow I'm making my favorite camping meal, ham and potatoes au grotten.
When hiking I now take a box of au grotten potatoes and just add the ham, but it doesn't seem that long ago that I used to haul the ingredients along with all the water still in them. (still do sometimes)

lucky luke
2006-03-04, 02:56
high dropkick,

how does chocolate cake with frosting sound? it was winter and a friends birthday. the others were building an igloo, i baked a cake.

ahm, chicken filtet in white-vine sauce with grapes. along with basmati rice.

pork filet wrapped in slices of smoked ham and salvia (sage), with noodles (ellbows).

dal with rice and chapaties, cooked on an open fire.

pizza baked on the spot with whatever one carried in on top.

nachos are easy.

there was more, but my brain...

greets
lucky luke

bird dog
2006-03-07, 12:09
Are you guys available for hire to cook on my next outing?

BD

KLeth
2006-03-07, 16:06
Are you guys available for hire to cook on my next outing?
BD Dropkick makes a mean cat :fisheye:

More recipes:
http://www.globe-guardian.com/archives/twisted/tl0004.htm

Iceman
2006-03-08, 01:18
How about a fresh pie, baked in the middle of a week long deer camp? A little regional specialty of mine, Elderberry Apple Pie! I throw a can of whipped topping in the beer cooler, and viola', Elderberry Apple Pie Ala Mode deer camp style. (Sorry, I haven't packed the portable oven into the backcountry yet, only by truck...)

Jim Henderson
2006-03-08, 13:12
Bout as fancy as I get is I will freeze a big juicy steak and wrap it in my sleeping bag. I will bring 1 can of something I like or some Noodleroni type mix and that will be my first nights meal.

Only baking I did on the trail was a Barm Brack, something like an Irish raisin tea cake. Good.

Jim Henderson

dropkick
2006-03-09, 01:24
The fanciest desert that I've ever made while hiking/camping wasn't very fancy, but I still make it occasionally.

1)Prepare some dry biscuit dough mix (I normally use Krusteze)
- Or you can even bring a tube of refrigerator biscuit dough.
2)Mix dry milk with water, add slightly more powder than is called for.
- Or you can use a can of sweetened condensed milk instead and skip step 3.
3)Simmer 1/2 cup milk (do not boil - milk is easy to burn - a double boiler*works well) add 1/4 cup or more sugar and dissolve into the milk. The milk should become slightly thick.
4)Fry the biscuits instead of baking them.
5)Dip the fried hot biscuits in the milk mix and then sprinkle with or dip into sugar.
Yum.

* If you have 2 pans and one will fit into the other, put water in the bottom pan and cook in the other. A frying pan and a pot will also work. Put small river rocks, tent pegs, or etc. in the bottom of the water filled pan/pot so the bottom of the cooking pot is raised off the surface of the pan/pot and water can pass underneath.

http://www.freeimghosting.com/images/dropkick/p1141881567175.jpg

Salvelinus
2006-03-09, 22:39
Just made my family a fine noon meal of sliced dachshund sausages and pasta in a rich fruit sauce, served with baked flatbread, and they weren't impressed or even that appreciative.

They said it wasn't a fancy meal and insisted on calling it by it's vulgar or common name "Spaghetti O's and weinies with saltines".
They also kept trying to convince me that because tomatoes aren't popularly accepted as a fruit I should stop calling the tomato sauce a fruit sauce.
Try to upgrade the food around here and see what it gets you....

ROTFL!!! Thanks . . . I needed a good laugh! :D