PDA

View Full Version : Mid Layer Question

xxKYLExx
2006-03-08, 19:36
I will be leaving 26 Mar 06 for my AT thru hike. To start off my trip, which aritcle of clothing should I bring?

A. (Air Force Issue) Polartec Fleece ECWCS - Pros, very warm. Cons, Bulky and heavy 1 lb 12 oz.

B. (Military Issue) Field Jacket Liner - Pros, 12 oz., very packable. Cons, warmth is questionable.

C. TNF micro 100 fleece - Pros, 12 oz., very packable. Cons, only decently warm.

If your wondering what other clothing I'm bringing (upper body). AF PT polyester T-shirt, New Balance Polyester T-shirt, Long sleeve (light weight) polyester shirt. For rain gear I am bringing a TNF Gore-tex shell, and military issue Gore-tex pants.

Which one or combo should I bring. Keep in mind that purchasing something else is out of the queston.

Thanks
Kyle

Iceman
2006-03-08, 23:31
xxKYLExx, I am not exactly sure what type of wearther you may encounter on your trip, not sure of the warmth value of your shell, and not sure of how you handle cold, but here is sort of what I do;

Check for the weather conditions expected on your trip, and plan on cooler temps. I try to bring more thin layers on any given trip, rather than relying on one thick item. That is the beauty of a three layer system. (Sometimes I carry an extra mid layer, for around the camp warmth when not moving...) As discussed in another thread here, the ability to regulate what you wear by unzipping this, taking off that, ect... is key. Personally, I prefer 100 weight fleece thingys, over 200 weight. Bring two of the 100 weighters, and wear one or two. Your ECWCS are great for icy conditions, but you would surely want to shed it for hiking around in...?

You are going to have to make the call here, based on how cool you usually run when on the trail.

Sounds like you have some great stuff to choose from. Good Luck.

xxKYLExx
2006-03-09, 00:03
I should be fine with the 100 fleece and base layers. I'm just getting paranoid cause I leave in like 2 and a half weeks.

Iceman
2006-03-09, 09:28
I know that "paranoid" feeling. I most always bring a little too much, probably better that way...Also, I have kids in tow, so I make sure they have enough to keep happy, nothing worse than cold or wet kids,... bad for the kid, and bad for the parent....

Seeker
2006-03-09, 11:53
I should be fine with the 100 fleece and base layers. I'm just getting paranoid cause I leave in like 2 and a half weeks.

bring the extra and mail home what you don't need when you feel ready to... there's a certain degree of acclimatizing you'll do to the temps in the first couple weeks anyway, and you'll have a better feel for it by then.

Take-a-knee
2006-03-10, 00:09
I bought a very lightweight (one pound) jacket at REI in Atlanta, I think it is caled the Gossamer or something like that. Synthetic fill, compacts well and it has a HOOD! I figured keeping my head covered would be a challenge in a hammock/quilt sleep system. I would start with something like that, this jacket is warmer than the ECWS fleece, I have one. It is too bulky to backpack IMO, especially if you are using a LW pack. If you are going with what you have I'd take the field jacket liner and the 100 wt fleece. Just make sure you have warm headgear. I was going to attempt to fabricate a hood for my field jacket liner and do Rock's mods until I saw that jacket at REI.

Take-a-knee
2006-03-10, 00:11
Kyle, are you ETS'ing?

xxKYLExx
2006-03-10, 04:12
Kyle, are you ETS'ing?

Dude, I feel like an idiot cause I don't know what ETS means. I had to look it up on acronymfinder.com :damnmate:

If it means "Experation Term of Service", then yes. In the AF we just say "seperation". Yeah I only have like 11 days left. It's been real nice lately, I accumulated 53 days of leave and I haven't had to work since 21 Jan 06! :)

In the Air Force I was just a lowley mechanic, but I still want to serve my community. I'm planning on law enforcement of some type, hopefully in criminal behavior for the FBI.

Kyle