PDA

View Full Version : New thought - alc stove or bomb?

dropkick
2006-03-09, 02:47
What if you took some copper pipe capped one end, bent it into a circle(s) drilled jets into the part in a circle(s) and then passed the alcohol feed tube through the flames?
I have seen other stoves with this idea but not alcohol.

Would it over pressurize? Explode?

Thought the alcohol container/tank could be a simple bottle with a cork stopper and a hole bored through it. You could get some control by varying the height of the fuel tank to the rest of the stove.

You would need some form of pre heater cup, but my thought is that if it worked it might solve the cold weather alcohol stove problem.

http://www.freeimghosting.com/images/dropkick/p1141886001579.jpg

KLeth
2006-03-09, 03:27
Hello super-dropkick.
Your design will most likely work in cold conditions. The jets would need to be very small and you would need a standoff from the ground, to prevent energy loss. Don't think it will explode but I wouldn't test it in the kitchen nor with my head in it . . . .
Would you gravity-feed it or would the fueltank have to pressurerize?

Keep the ideas flowing.

Iceman
2006-03-09, 09:37
DropKick, I found a really inexpensive Nomex Fire Resistant Coverall. If you would like I can send you the link. (Just kidding)

Looks like your preheater tube would work. All my pressure stoves work in a similar fashion. Not sure what would happen with no pressure though...maybe Kaboom?

Seeker
2006-03-09, 11:47
(required text so i can post. just disregard. the smiles tell the story...)

:heeeellll :saint:

incognito
2006-03-09, 13:37
hi der, what flames are you passing it through?

(then passed the alcohol feed tube through the flames)

Lanthar
2006-03-09, 17:49
you'd be better off managing the fuel flow with a small stop-cock valve rather than varying the height of a bottle. You're design is essentially no different than cold-weather liquid fuel stoves (with the exception of you may be planning on using an elevated fuel source so priming via pressurization isn't too much of an issue... so in theory it would work. In reality, it might or might not...

incognito
2006-03-09, 19:10
Thought of it after i made my post.

Use wick material wrapped around the bottom pipe where the two cross over as shown in the photo.

Use lighter fluid as starter fuel, just a tiny bit at a time.

Use a metering valve such as Lanthar stated and small holes as Kleth stated. Use a clear tube from metering valve to fuel line to be able to see the drops coming from the valve.

Proceed slowly, small amounts of fuel only.

Try using a straight pipe initially to see how heated fuel line generates vapor.

Seal off end off pipe with lightweight tape to act as relief valve in case of quick increase of pressure.

May want to use a small balloon at the end of the pipe to monitor pressure initially.

Give me your mailing address and I'll send you some fiberglass material like the stuff shown in the photo.

I think your idea is great, I think it'll work, make it big first, then shrink it.

Go for it, Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/obijiwa/stovegenerator.jpg

oops56
2006-03-09, 19:27
Turm sport stove alcohol has been done already got a tank that gravity feeds it with cotton in tube burner on top regulator valve

incognito
2006-03-09, 21:04
Turm sport stove alcohol has been done already got a tank that gravity feeds it with cotton in tube burner on top regulator valve

Here's a photo of the Turm sport stove that oops56 shared in a different thread
This is my all time favorite turm sport alcohol
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d52/oops62/turm1.jpg

Ooops56 can you take it apart and show some pics of it so we can get an idea how to make our own? Heee Heeee JUst kidding----Tell us more about how its made please, pretty please!!!!!!!

Maybe some close up photos :)

dropkick
2006-03-10, 04:33
I feel kind of dumb, I have a Turm Sport. It is what I used before I built a pop can stove.
Just walked over to my shelves and took it down. (tank is still full - need to drain it)
Different year than Oops56's but it works about the same. No cotton I can see though, maybe if I took it apart more.
Mine looks like this (stole these pics off the net -still need camera).
http://www.freeimghosting.com/images/dropkick/p1141978681708.jpg

I think I'll still try building the copper pipe stove as it could be a compact light weight stove. Curious about effect of a gravity feed too. - Plus I think I have all the materials. But mainly I just want to build something.

Seeker
2006-03-10, 13:11
now you've gotten me all curious.... just for the heck of it, i'm going to run some alcohol through my coleman stove this weekend... i forget the name, but it's a pump stove with the tube that coils around over the burner... i'll figure out some remote way to light it so i don't get blowed up... :biggrin:

Lanthar
2006-03-10, 16:30
now you've gotten me all curious.... just for the heck of it, i'm going to run some alcohol through my coleman stove this weekend... i forget the name, but it's a pump stove with the tube that coils around over the burner... i'll figure out some remote way to light it so i don't get blowed up... :biggrin:

That's probably a very good idea... :vroam:

Rosaleen
2006-03-10, 20:39
Too bad Sarge is deployed agian. I seem to remember he used alcohol in his Whisperlight for a time during his last tour in Iraq. It worked for a while then the stove quit working. If you have any sort of seals, rubber or leather gaskets, etc., you may dry them out so much that you kill your stove. Coleman fuel is an oily petro product, I believe.

Rosaleen

KLeth
2006-03-11, 03:19
My Primus Omnifuel has been reported to run on alcohol, but the ones writing about it stated that they would never do it again.
It might be a good idea to investigate the sizes of jets for pressurized alcohol stoves. E.g. my Omnifuel has jets for LBP, white gas and paraffin/diesel/kero.
Some of the gaskets/seals could suffer under the alcohol . . .

Seeker
2006-03-13, 13:52
hey all. had a nice quiet weekend of tearing up a dining room carpet and tile underneath (to be replaced soon) and making some venison jerky. also found time to endanger my eyebrows, as follows...

i emptied my coleman peak one stove and filled it with alcohol. results are not promising... even after heating the feeder tube separately, with a lighter, i could barely keep the burner lit. so i'd say i'm not sure about dropkick's design... it occassionally burned, but kept going out and needing to be relit... i'm not sure what the problem was... it may have been fuel contamination (too much gas left in the stove). i emptied it again and left both sides (fuel cap and pump mechanism side) open and will try again when all the alcohol has evaporated... theoretically, it should work... i'll keep you posted...

oops56
2006-03-13, 14:11
Seeker to make it work you need a jet hole made for alcohol plus a restrictor alcohol needs less air then white gas.
jet size mm and decimal
alcohol 0.51mm with a restrictor =.020
butane 0.45mm =.017
white gas 0.37mm =.014
kero 0.28mm =.011