PDA

View Full Version : parahootch

incognito
2006-03-16, 21:57
www.kifaru.net/MGphooch.htm I thought someone might be interested in the material this is made of. I am, but a search for it came to a halt in Africa.

Anyone know of a source for the fabric to be purchased by the yard?

Seeker
2006-03-17, 00:40
i'm guessing it's made of 1.1 weight ripstop nylon, which becomes our beloved 1.3 silnylon when impregnated with silicone... and if not, maybe it's that 'spinnaker' stuff that's coming into vogue... i think that is .9oz to the yard... or less.

i'm not much for remembering exact web site addresses, but this should get you close enough to google it yourself... there's a company called outdoor fabrics, or something like it (maybe some other poster remembers it exactly) that sells all sorts of weird fabric for making tents, packs, kites, etc... i'm guessing the jacks know what i'm talking about, or patrick, as they might buy their raw materials from them...

ok fellas... anyone know what i'm talking about? please speak up!

Just Jeff
2006-03-17, 00:53
Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics www.owfinc.com

Seeker
2006-03-17, 01:55
Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics www.owfinc.com

(again, in the spirit of Jointness, the Air Force guy once again saves the Army dude's butt... thanks jeff.)

yeah. what he said...

dropkick
2006-03-17, 02:12
i'm guessing it's made of 1.1 weight ripstop nylon, which becomes our beloved 1.3 silnylon when impregnated with silicone... and if not, maybe it's that 'spinnaker' stuff that's coming into vogue... i think that is .9oz to the yard... or less.
Though they do use ripstop in paragliding it's usually about 6.6 ripstop as paraglider fabric has to be strong stuff. You wouldn't want it to give out in the air (plus you want it to last more than one trip).

I think the spinnaker stuff your talking about is cuben fiber.
And cuben fiber might be it, as it is a sailcloth, used for paragliders, and is lighter than silnylon. Though in all the pics I've seen of it, it was so translucent that it looked like plastic.
Or it could be dacron, spectra, or some material I know nothing about.

This is the only manufacturer of cuben fiber, and as far as I know they only do sails right now. But I read that they will sell remnants from making sails. (You have to contact them directly) Be prepared to pay $20 + a yard though.
www.cubenfiber.com

I also read that these people were selling cuben fiber but didn't have it listed on their site. Once again you have to contact them directly.
www.questoutfitters.com/