PDA

View Full Version : New hiking knife

dropkick
2006-03-17, 00:01
It isn't anything snazzy, but it was inexpensive and lightweight.
Got it for $7.00 at my local grocery store.
It has a 3 3/4 inch blade (cutting surface) and is about 8 1/2 inches overall.
Teak handle and sheath. I don't know the weight, but it doesn't feel like it weighs much more than the quarter I put beside it in the scan (for scale).
Made by Suncraft knives, Japan.

I hope this scan I did of it works. I'm having trouble with my old picture hosting site, and this is on a new site. - Had to link to the picture differently.
http://images6.theimagehosting.com/suncraft.jpg (http://www.theimagehosting.com)

Mutinousdoug
2006-03-17, 00:18
Pretty,
Really.
For $7 how could it be bad? will it cut a fish? I carry at least 4 throwaway knives when I go campin' and 2 everyday. I buy them faster than they wear out or get lost, and they don't take up much space or get in the way.
Makes a lot more sense than a Bowie for just about any camp chore short of chopping.

blackdog
2006-03-17, 01:35
Coins don't work for me as a size comparison as i simply don't know the size of them. A more universal size comparison would be something like a CD. ...or does someone have a better idea?

Seeker
2006-03-17, 01:59
Coins don't work for me as a size comparison as i simply don't know the size of them. A more universal size comparison would be something like a CD. ...or does someone have a better idea?

good point... don't have a better idea, but the coin is the back side of a US quarter... it's just under 1 inch in size, or about 24mm (i think it's 2.5 cm to the inch).

Seeker
2006-03-17, 02:05
man, i'm dense as i don't know what... a ruler!

we could lay a ruler with inches and centimeters on it alongside whatever we're showing, assuming we have one. i've got a nice metal layout ruler i use, with english and metric measurements... but no digital camera... (and i think i still owe Gramps a picture of my stove/potstand/kitchen set.)

PKH
2006-03-17, 07:48
man, i'm dense as i don't know what... a ruler!)

Jeeze Seeker, and I was just thinking, "My God! Am I the only one with a normal IQ here? Yes, a ruler of course :biggrin: No offense to all the rest. We all have these tunnel vision days. Well, I do . . . . . . .

Cheers,

PKH

JPW
2006-03-17, 11:11
Nice looking knife. I found an old kitchen knife just a little biger than paring knife. Carbon steel blade and hickory handle,it's an old one. I'am going to make a sheath from a piece of leather from an old glove or boot, and shape the handle a little. Not as intimidating as a Kbar, but still a good camp knife. I'am a little concerned about getting arrested in a trail town if I forget to put my Kbar in my pack. Just want to avoid any hassle.

Iceman
2006-03-17, 20:11
Arrested? Please tell me you are kidding.

dropkick
2006-03-18, 00:34
Well I have my knife next to a ruler (Carl XVI Gustaf, King of Sweden) but I don't think it really helps.
http://images6.theimagehosting.com/king carl.jpg (http://www.theimagehosting.com)

Puns are the lowest form of humor.

Seeker
2006-03-18, 10:39
ok... see, that works... we just need to do some metric conversion here... sort of like getting Turk to convert things to Canadian money occassionally... but this time, we're gonna need Blackdog's help...

BD, how tall, in meters, is the King of Sweden?

once we get that, we compare it to the knife... the knife looks likes it's just about the same size as the ruler... maybe a little shorter... say 3/4 or 7/8 his size...

(this is rapidly going downhill, isn't it...)

blackdog
2006-03-18, 13:06
ok... see, that works... we just need to do some metric conversion here... sort of like getting Turk to convert things to Canadian money occassionally... but this time, we're gonna need Blackdog's help...

BD, how tall, in meters, is the King of Sweden?

once we get that, we compare it to the knife... the knife looks likes it's just about the same size as the ruler... maybe a little shorter... say 3/4 or 7/8 his size...

(this is rapidly going downhill, isn't it...)
There's no official numbers on that, but i'd guess at slightly below the swedish average of 180cm... 176 cm, perhaps? Sorry that i can't be of more assistance. I've stood next to him but that was in my early teens and that's about a million years ago. One thing is certain, though. The length of our Majesty in inches can't be compared to the IQ of the President of the US in any way. ;)

Yup, this is going downhill quickly. Where are my skis?

Seeker
2006-03-19, 10:53
ok... so 176 cm, and an IQ of... hmm... well, we don't know... but since we're using averages, let's just say that the average IQ is 100... so less than average is say 90. further averaging the two figures, we get 133, and since we're combining metric and something else, metric cancels 'something else' out, right? so that makes it 133 centimeters.

so, the knife is about 3/4 as long as 133cm....

man, that's a big knife!