PDA

View Full Version : Mail Call On Discovery Channel

Buggyman
2006-03-23, 15:52
I hope this subject is not too off topic, but being a supporter of our American fighting personnel, I just had to mention how much I enjoy watching Mail Call on the Discovery Channel. The Old Gunny (R. Lee Ermey) is funny as he answeres questions about the military past and present. I particularly liked the episode where he trained and then suited up to fly in the stealth bomber. Once in a while he even deals with Navy subjects, which I enjoy because I am a Navy veteran. After all, Marines like him are part of the Navy, although if you ask them about it, they will say the best part. (And they may be right!)

Some of his topics can relate to hiking, as when he talks about the gear and clothing our people use in the field. Anyway, if you are interested in military subjects, check out his show.

I might also mention that he is a former combat vet from Viet Nam who went on to be a Marine drill instructor and movie actor. He is the guy who played the drill instructor in the movie, "Full Metal Jacket."

fieldcraftsman
2006-03-23, 18:16
I hadn't heard of this show before, but it sounds great. We get discovery channel over here (just finished watching American Chopper -- heh, I love that show!), so will keep an eye out for it.

After all, Marines like him are part of the Navy, although if you ask them about it, they will say the best part. (And they may be right!)

When I used to meet Marines officers from the American ships visiting in Esquimalt in the wardroom and stuff, they often would say that every USN ship had Marines on board to protect it from the Navy! :rolleyes: I always like talking with the Marines b/c they used navy talk (hatch, topside, deck, bulkhead and or course, head) but had classifications such as infantrymen, aviators, mechanised, etc. I actually went on the Peliliu one time as a mere whelp of an Officer Cadet too...wow.

I might also mention that he is a former combat vet from Viet Nam who went on to be a Marine drill instructor and movie actor. He is the guy who played the drill instructor in the movie, "Full Metal Jacket."

He was great in that..not to mention he offered a definitive rendition of "this is my rifle..." [everyone knows the rest] in the movir
:rock:

j.johnson
2006-03-23, 21:14
I believe the show Mail Call is on the History Channel not the Discovery Channel, they do comercials for the show on the Discovery Channel because they are both owned by the same people.

CanoeCamper
2006-03-31, 12:07
My son LOVES that show, and I must admit I enjoy it too.
FYI it is on the History Channel, hard to determine exactly when it'll be on without going to their web sight (http://www.historychannel.com/mailcall/).

Just Jeff
2006-03-31, 12:13
I heard that originally he was just the advisor to the Drill Sergeant in Full Metal Jacket, but he got so frustrated (and was such an artist with his own profanity) that they put him in the part.

CanoeCamper
2006-03-31, 12:25
I heard that originally he was just the advisor to the Drill Sergeant in Full Metal Jacket, but he got so frustrated (and was such an artist with his own profanity) that they put him in the part.
Something like that. He was a Marine Sgt., but only an honorary gunny.

john pickett
2006-03-31, 13:17
"He was a Marine Sgt., but only an honorary gunny."

Actually he was a medically retired Staff Sargeant (E-6), not a Sargeant (E-5). He was awarded honorable promotion to Gunnery Sargeant by the Commandant of the Marine Corps in recognition of his contributions to the Corps and the U.S. Military.
I honor him.
John Pickett :adore:

jimtanker
2006-04-01, 06:59
Do you really know why they have marines on those navy ships???

Because sheep would be too obvious.

:damnmate:

Just Jeff
2006-04-01, 12:32
Well, they designed a Marine bib into their enlisted dress blues - how much more obvious can you get?!

Take-a-knee
2006-04-01, 17:22
All that may be true but if you ask ANY marine what the three fundamentals of a shooting position are, he can correctly answer, whether he calls himself "Rifleman" or not. I was a hell of a lot more impressed with the Marines I saw in Iraq last year than any of the Army units I was exposed too.

Redleg
2006-04-02, 11:11
All that may be true but if you ask ANY marine what the three fundamentals of a shooting position are, he can correctly answer, whether he calls himself "Rifleman" or not. I was a hell of a lot more impressed with the Marines I saw in Iraq last year than any of the Army units I was exposed too.

The whole time I was in the Army, the most ammo I was issued for marksmanship, was 118 rounds a year. Usually it was 50 rounds. I shoot for sport and compitition. My maintanance is 300 rounds a week. Give the ducks all the flack you want(I'll help), they are the ONLY force that still teaches the troops to shoot, and recognise that it is important to do so.

OOPS: thread drift.
jaf

jimtanker
2006-04-02, 11:34
I'll agree with that 100%. The joke was aimed at the Navy not the marines.

Ive been saying that the army doesnt teach people how to shoot for 15 years now. My first 5 years I didnt know enough to say it. LOL.

Take-a-knee
2006-04-02, 14:51
The SOF units are the only in the Army with an ammo budget, and that is recent. SF's SFAUC program burns about 5000 rds per man, about 3000rds M4, the rest 9mm. It is all 25 meters or less, all off hand CQB stuff. The Ranger BN's shoot a lot, I'm told. The only place in the Army where real marksmanship is taught is at FT Benning Sniper School and SOTIC at Bragg. Needless to say, only a tiny fraction of soldiers ever see the front door of those places. In Iraq, a lot of units get sniped at regularly, the insurgents hide weapons in buildings, dig out the rifle, pop of a few shots, hide the rifle again, and stroll out of the building unmolested. If you shoot him, some officer will bring you up on charges, so no one shoots. The only defense is a prompt return of precision riflefire (you can't mortar the village), and the army has realized that they have far too few who can shoot precisely. Twenty years ago, officers at BLDG 4 at the Infantry Center at Benning opined that marksmanship was nearly obselete then, and in twenty years would be made irrevelent by technology. Just shows what they know, don't it?

GregH
2006-04-02, 16:01
The Gunny also appeared in the Michael J. Fox movie "The Frighteners."

Seeker
2006-04-02, 18:02
The SOF units are the only in the Army with an ammo budget, and that is recent.

i must respectfully disagree... every division in the army budgets for ammo. the bullets per man ratio is way too low, and in some places does not cover even basic re-qualification each year, but it's there. i'll remember what they call it in a bit... (getting old).

for JRTC (and probably NTC) rotations, the unit is provided with a certain number of rounds per rotation to conduct their live fire exercises before the force-on-force portion of the exercise. there is plenty of ammo for this, and the units look forward to it, because they don't have to break into their own budget to conduct said training... it's funded by forscom. these live fire exercises are conducted with a full 360* range fan, and are as realistic as it gets short of combat. one of our facilities has several hundred cameras, watching every room in every building in an urban mock-up. the facility at bragg is a good one too, but sometimes SOF units come here to use ours.

we also do some other, non-urban, live fire missions, like the convoy live-fire exercises you see on the news once in awhile... that's conducted on another facility nearby, but again, units love it.

all that said, the army still doesn't place as much emphasis on marksmanship as the USMC does, but the marines have a strong 'sniper' tradition that goes back to the original reason for their being on board ships... to kill enemy officers and gun crewman. (it was only later found that they could be used instead of sheep. :biggrin: )

i worked with the marines in somalia and though they do things a little differently (with a lot less BS), they're very effective.

Take-a-knee
2006-04-02, 22:52
My apologies Seeker, when I said most units don't have an ammo budget, I meant and should have said, they don't have nearly enough of an ammo budget. The next years ammo "budget" is called, I believe, a forecast. Just because it is forecast, just like that thru-hike, doesn't mean you'll get it. It is probably going to get worse with the "Green" emphasis that DOD is going to. Lead, in the minds of many, is a bad thing. This new lead free ammo, like lead free shotgun ammo, is gonna be a lot more expensive. I'm glad to hear you guys are doing good things in LA, I talked to some of the DOD civilians about all the really cool stuff that was planned out at the "hero's village".

fieldcraftsman
2006-04-03, 13:10
The Gunny also appeared in the Michael J. Fox movie "The Frighteners."

Yep, he's actually been in quite a few things, including a not so good kickboxing movie that I have on DVD (he's good in it though). :) His first movie appearance was in Apocalypse Now, as one of the Air Cav pilots in the Ride of the Valkyries sequence. If you keep an eye out, you'll see that he's Eagle Thrust 7.

Seeker
2006-04-03, 22:01
My apologies Seeker, when I said most units don't have an ammo budget, I meant and should have said, they don't have nearly enough of an ammo budget. The next years ammo "budget" is called, I believe, a forecast. Just because it is forecast, just like that thru-hike, doesn't mean you'll get it. It is probably going to get worse with the "Green" emphasis that DOD is going to. Lead, in the minds of many, is a bad thing. This new lead free ammo, like lead free shotgun ammo, is gonna be a lot more expensive. I'm glad to hear you guys are doing good things in LA, I talked to some of the DOD civilians about all the really cool stuff that was planned out at the "hero's village".

oh... ok... i get it... no worries... but forecast wasn't the word i was looking for either... it's some sort of ammo-specific fund... (dang... and can you believe i was an s-3 once? how on earth is it that i can't remember this?)

the 'heros' village' is Shughart-Gordon, named for two fallen NCOs (Somalia, Oct 2/3, 1993). (i've got what must be THE coolest job... i get to write scenarios for this place!)