PDA

View Full Version : Hgear

reeeeeckoooohhh
2006-03-29, 15:51
Any vets?? I have some Hgear with plenty of pouches... what should I stow?? Getting ready for a little hike!!

Just Jeff
2006-03-29, 16:47
You should stow your hgear in the closet and get a 1 pound pack...IMHO, of course.

dropkick
2006-03-31, 01:01
Don't worry about Just Jeff's grammin on your gear (grammin - I just made that up - what do you think?) he's a little bit of a gram weanie and they always think you should go lighter. :biggrin:

When I started hiking I had a canvas pack with a wood frame, a canvas tent, a cotton sleeping bag, and quite often carried a cast iron skillet.
My entire kit now, with food included, probably weighs less than just my basics weighed then.

But I still carry some heavy gear, as you often trade durability and camping comfort for weight.

My opinion is that you should keep the bag and try it out, and learn if it suits you or not. You may become a gram weinie too. (We all do to some extent.)
I would suggest you trim weight in other areas though, i.e. go with a tarp or hammock instead of a tent, build an can alcohol stove, etc.
There are a lot of list out there of lightweight gear possibilities.

Also make your first hike of the season a short one, don't overdo it. This gives your body a chance to get into hiking condition, and also gives you a chance to shake out your gear, learn what you can cut, and learn what you need to add.

A lot of new (and even experienced) hikers make the mistake of overdoing it on the first hike and have had a miserable time.

It takes different muscles to carry a pack, than it does just to hike or walk. This is one of the reasons I carry a heavy daypack when walking my dog, and even then, I'm not ready when spring comes for a very long trip.

Good luck
Where you planning to go?

Just Jeff
2006-03-31, 03:17
Yeah, I guess that sounded pretty snippy, didn't it? Sorry bout that.

Seriously, though - many former military guys start hiking with their old military gear (I used a bunch of my gear for several hikes, too)...we're taught that everything has to be bombproof because, well, it does have to be that durable when you're in the military. But hiking isn't combat!

If you can knock off a few pounds from the pack, a few from the tent, and a few from the sleeping bag - pretty soon you're only carrying 30 lbs on your back instead of 60. And you don't really have to sacrifice comfort to get to 30 lbs, either - that makes a much more enjoyable hike for many people.

But it's all a trade-off - go with what makes you comfortable until you're ready to change. As long as you're having fun, wear jeans and a cotton sweatshirt, carry an ALICE pack with your canteen cover and metal cup, etc. Long as you're still having fun, it's still worth it! Hike your own hike.

(Grammin is pretty funny, dropkick!)

Hog On Ice
2006-03-31, 08:45
Don't worry about Just Jeff's grammin on your gear (grammin - I just made that up - what do you think?) he's a little bit of a gram weanie and they always think you should go lighter.

OK dropkick - its about time you add that new word to the lexicon - hop to it :drillserg :D