PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on torso fit-o

Streamweaver
2006-03-29, 15:55
:damnmate: Im looking for a new pack and I think Im going to go with the Granite Gear Vapor Trail.They have two sizes that will fit my torso(21.5") The regular size fits 18-22" and the tall fits 21-25" but the thing is these packs have fixed shoulder straps and cant be adjusted. So my question is,should I go with the regular or the long. Im just wondering if the long might be to long but then again the reg is only about .5" longer than my torso. Any thoughts on this?? Thanx alot!

Seeker
2006-03-29, 16:35
how do you mean "can't be adjusted"? i looked at one about a year or so ago, and i'm pretty sure it had adjustable straps on the bottom end... but maybe i missed it... or do you mean the top 'yoke', if it had one, wouldn't be adustable up and down to bring the waist belt in line with your hips, like some packs have?

this may sound too simplistic, but i'd just get my 'stuff' and go to an outfitter that had both... pack 'em both, try both on, and walk around some... maybe even see if they'd let you walk around a few hours with one while you did some other errands... then see if there's any difference...

if you're ordering through the mail, go with REI, since they have that nice 'no questions asked' return policy...

deadeye
2006-03-29, 17:23
I'll second Seeker's advice: packs, like shoes, need to be tried on in the store for best results.

Streamweaver
2006-03-31, 11:16
how do you mean "can't be adjusted"? i looked at one about a year or so ago, and i'm pretty sure it had adjustable straps on the bottom end... but maybe i missed it... or do you mean the top 'yoke', if it had one, wouldn't be adustable up and down to bring the waist belt in line with your hips, like some packs have?

this may sound too simplistic, but i'd just get my 'stuff' and go to an outfitter that had both... pack 'em both, try both on, and walk around some... maybe even see if they'd let you walk around a few hours with one while you did some other errands... then see if there's any difference...

if you're ordering through the mail, go with REI, since they have that nice 'no questions asked' return policy...

The Pack Im refering too has what they call fixed shoulder straps ,in other words the torso fit cant be adjusted because the tops of the shoulder straps are sewn directly to the pack. I would think that all packs have the adjuster buckles on the end of the shoulder straps . Yeah Im trying to find a place to go and try them on.Theres an REI pretty close to me so hopefully they will carry it. Id like to try it on there and then order it from Campmor because they have it for 90 bucks which is likely alot cheaper than REI. I think Ill prolly end up going with the Tall after talking to some folks that have this pack and the reg size only leaves about .5" of room for error. Thanx alot!

Seeker
2006-03-31, 14:24
The Pack Im refering too has what they call fixed shoulder straps ,in other words the torso fit cant be adjusted because the tops of the shoulder straps are sewn directly to the pack. I would think that all packs have the adjuster buckles on the end of the shoulder straps . Yeah Im trying to find a place to go and try them on.Theres an REI pretty close to me so hopefully they will carry it. Id like to try it on there and then order it from Campmor because they have it for 90 bucks which is likely alot cheaper than REI. I think Ill prolly end up going with the Tall after talking to some folks that have this pack and the reg size only leaves about .5" of room for error. Thanx alot!

ah... ok... i get it... yeah, that is a small problem with rucksacks... same as with my Gust... but it sounds like you've figured out what to do (try on at REI, buy from Campmor)... good luck, and let us know how it works!

Take-a-knee
2006-03-31, 19:39
Streamweaver I am 5' 8" tall, 170#. I have the Granite Gear Vapor Trail in the REG size and it fits me well. I bought it right before I left for the sandbox so I haven't used it yet. To be honest I used my Gregory Makalu on an overnighter a couple of days ago, I'm easing into the ultralight thing. Since you are in the middle, I would go for the REG and not the larger one. You want the shoulder straps to drape across your upper back, not go over your shoulders directly onto the pack, you won't be able to alternate the load between your hips and shoulders as you should.

Streamweaver
2006-04-03, 12:44
Streamweaver I am 5' 8" tall, 170#. I have the Granite Gear Vapor Trail in the REG size and it fits me well. I bought it right before I left for the sandbox so I haven't used it yet. To be honest I used my Gregory Makalu on an overnighter a couple of days ago, I'm easing into the ultralight thing. Since you are in the middle, I would go for the REG and not the larger one. You want the shoulder straps to drape across your upper back, not go over your shoulders directly onto the pack, you won't be able to alternate the load between your hips and shoulders as you should.

Do you know your torso size? Because Im at least 8 inches taller than you ,so if the reg fits you well Id better go with the tall!! Thanx !

Take-a-knee
2006-04-03, 14:27
Streamweaver, if you are 6'4" I'm pretty sure you'll need the large size, if you are gonna order from Campmor you'd better do it now 'cause they've already sold out of smalls (I was going to order my daughter one). I believe all they have left is black/green in a large for $90 which is a steal. These packs are so popular they are hard to find right now.

I don't know my torso size, I think it is measured from C-7(the big bump at the base of your neck) to a level line across your back from the top of your hip bones, does this sound correct?

Streamweaver
2006-04-04, 13:38
I don't know my torso size, I think it is measured from C-7(the big bump at the base of your neck) to a level line across your back from the top of your hip bones, does this sound correct?

Yup from the c-7 to what they call the Iliac crest(sp) which is just another way of saying a level line across your back at the top of your hip bones as you said .lol At REI they have a gauge that measures the torso easily,it was a pain trying to measure it myself with a tape measure!! Thanx for the tip on Campmor I better check into it!