PDA

View Full Version : knots

dropkick
2006-03-30, 20:28
I was just online looking at some new rope knots and trying to implant them in my (thick) skull, when I thought this would make a fairly good topic for a thread (even though I'm sure it's been done before).

What are your favorite knots?
What do you think are the most important knot(s) to know?
And do you have any handy, or just fun to know knots, that you could teach us?

Seeker
2006-03-31, 00:38
I was just online looking at some new rope knots and trying to implant them in my (thick) skull, when I thought this would make a fairly good topic for a thread (even though I'm sure it's been done before).

hmm... favorite knots... guess it's the ones i know how to use, and why, and can actually tie... that would be the square knot, clove hitch, sheet bend, sheepshank, bowline, and taut line hitch. that sort of coincides with the ones i think are important to know...

i don't know any "fun" knots... i took pioneering in boy scouts, and used to be able to make eye, end, and joining splices.... but i've always wanted to learn how to do that braided mat thing sailors made from rope, and a turk's head knot, just to decorate the end of a staff. sort of hard to teach or learn over the net though... would make a good evening activity in a campsite though... sort of like astronomy... easier to learn when there's someone right there to show you.

Iceman
2006-03-31, 02:08
How do you guys remember those things? The only knot I know is the whatsahoocha knot. You know, you flip the little rope end over, pull the end thingy thru, wrap it around a couple a times and fish the doo hinky over the flapper, and then tug. Works for me. Real nice.

Actually here is a funny knot story. In college, a friend of mine gave a joke xmas gift at a secret santa gift exchange. He gave a home made "male organ" enlarger. A section of round boot lace tied to a three pound rock. At the end of the "rope" was a very nicely tied hangmans noose. Looked great. Funny gift. Everyone laughed. But..., you guessed it... a few weeks later (in a drunken stupor...) some dufus on the floor actually slipped it over the tip of his johnson and let the rock fall. The hangmans noose did it's job, cinching tightly around, the idiot dancing around the room desperately trying to loosen the embedded rope... :biggrin: Man do I ever miss college.....

fieldcraftsman
2006-03-31, 07:16
Round turn and two half hitches is great for poncho tents and tarps and that kind of thing.

BTW, Iceman, that is hilarious! Course rock-attached-to-his-thing guy is probably now a lawyer or business leader or something like that. Heh. What's the saying, "University education, you can't beat it." :biggrin:

Hog On Ice
2006-03-31, 08:31
Here is a little article I wrote on knots over on Whiteblaze: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/article.php?p=99057&postcount=1

As for fancy knots - I like the Wall and Crown combo doubled as a stopper knot and Turk's head knots do make interesting decorations - I used to tie small mat knots as coasters - see Ashley Book Of Knots, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0385040253/sr=8-1/qid=1143808121/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-0384377-0966421?%5Fencoding=UTF8 for the book I use to tie the fancy stuff

txulrich
2006-03-31, 09:21
hmm... favorite knots... guess it's the ones i know how to use, and why, and can actually tie... that would be the square knot, clove hitch, sheet bend, sheepshank, bowline, and taut line hitch. that sort of coincides with the ones i think are important to know...

It's amazing that these are the basic knots we teach in scouting. I would add a figure eight and a one handed bowline.

txulrich
2006-03-31, 09:24
i don't know any "fun" knots... i took pioneering in boy scouts, and used to be able to make eye, end, and joining splices.... but i've always wanted to learn how to do that braided mat thing sailors made from rope, and a turk's head knot, just to decorate the end of a staff. sort of hard to teach or learn over the net though... would make a good evening activity in a campsite though... sort of like astronomy... easier to learn when there's someone right there to show you.

Here's a pretty good pdf of the turks head. Well, I have one but it's too large to attach. PM me with your email address and I'll send it to you.

txulrich
2006-03-31, 09:28

We have a program in my troop called knotmasters. We teach 50-60 different knots, lashings and splices. It has it's own advancement trail and everything. I'll have to see if I can get the list electronically and post it.

Try an Alpine Butterfly.

CanoeCamper
2006-03-31, 11:57
I like the tautline hitch, anchor hitch, figure eight knot and loop, and sliding sheet bend. Alan Folsom has a pretty good web page (http://www.folsoms.net/knots/) with animated graphics for a whole lot of knots (including pictoral instructions for the turkshead). Peter Suber has a huge rescource of knots including "Six Exploding Knots" (http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/writing/explode.htm) of which the sliding sheet bend is the one I use the most.

Hope it helps. Have fun.

deadeye
2006-03-31, 14:17
Every knot in the Klutz book of knots! Maybe a dozen basic knots to cover most circumstances. Personal favorites: clove hitch, bowline, tautline hitch and sheet bend.

Take-a-knee
2006-03-31, 19:49
I would add the trucker's hitch to that list, it is a heavy-duty version of the tautline hitch.I would add a prussik to the aforemention list. You need to be able to tie a clove hitch on both the end and the middle of a rope. If you deal with flat webbing, you need to be able to tie the water knot to join the ends of the webbing to make a loop. If you have need of a rope-bridge, you need to know the cat's paw with an extra turn for the carabiner in the tightening system. The Rangers always used a butterfly knot for this, I think because they have lots of privates around they can force to untie it after it is loaded. If you fish, of course there are many more knots you need for monofilament.

oops56
2006-03-31, 20:32
Oh i just got to do it cant help myself how about a knot head

john pickett
2006-04-01, 16:30
"Oh i just got to do it cant help myself how about a knot head"

We got you; isn't one enough? :biggrin:
John Pickett

CanoeCamper
2006-04-01, 19:14
Another fun one: The Monkey's Fist

JAK
2006-04-02, 10:01
I've done a lot of sailing and tieing down boats on roofs and so I tend to use knots from that experience. These are what I use the most:

1. Bowline and its variations.
2. Round turn and Two Half Hitches.
3. Clove Hitch.
4. Rolling Hitch.
5. Reef knot and its variations.
6. Figure Eight.
7. Half Knot.
8. Sheet Bend occassionally instead of Reef knot.
9. Timber Hitch occassionally instead of Rolling Hitch.

The right knot or combination of knots depends on what you are doing and the diameter and stretchiness and stiffness and hardness and slipperyness of the rope or object that you are doing it with. I think everyone develops their own style. Its a very crafty and personally thing. Of course if you are working with others standards are required so that people know whats up.

Turk
2006-04-02, 10:59
Okay cool. We have some serious knot experts here.
Personally I am a little slooooow when it comes to learning
new knots. I only know a handful. Glad to see they were
mentioned several times in the above posts. I've tried to
learn some more exotic knots but I find I forget them for
lack of practice. I have a rigging certification, but today its
all webbing and hooks. I have to turn to the old vets that
remember the days of knots and ropes. Forgot most of
them the first week out of school.

Thanks much for that link CanoeCamper. I just finished tying
my own head knot. Pretty cool looking. Really good site for
people like myself that need very slow and clear visual aids to
learn knots until the hands and fingers can remember through repetition.

I would like to put a quesiton out to you rope guru's.
What is the best knot or lashing or combination thereof
to tie a camp knife to a stick to be used as a spear, axe, awl etc.
Hopefully something easy to remember. Trying to improve my
survival skills.

CanoeCamper
2006-04-02, 13:42
Turk,
Here is a link to Scouting Resources lashings index (http://www.scoutingresources.org.uk/knots_lashings.html).
Hope it helps.

dropkick
2006-04-04, 02:28
Turk,

Haven't ever done it, but I think my first choice would be a series of clove hitches, my second choice a constrictor hitch (bulkier, but more permanent). You could even use a series of half hitches - but in my experience when tied to something other than rope they tend to loosen with use.

There is probably a knot just for it. ....need to research.

dropkick
2006-04-04, 03:08
Just had a quick thought though. If I'm in an emergency situation I'm not going to lash one of my best pieces of survival gear to a stick and risk breaking or losing it.

Depending on the use a wood point might be better anyway.
For defense or for hunting big game or small (chancy at best with my skill level) I'd whittle a point and harden it in a fire, or try my luck at making a stone point.
For fish I'd use a slim green stick, split the end, and make gripping teeth on the inside edges (below). -This I've actually done, I used to catch trash fish with these when I was a kid.

For small game I'd just go with a throwing stick - a 2 to 3 foot club (best with a slight bend). You throw it so it whips around in the air like a boomerang (but travels in a straight line). I've used these before too. (Gophers, and one grouse as a kid).
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-3/1165284/fishstick.jpg

MacGyver
2006-04-04, 09:15
Ashley Book of Knots = THE book of knots

Personally I think the bowline is one of the most important knots.

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME