PDA

View Full Version : Chafing

Wreck
2006-04-01, 23:30
OK folks, I know this is odd, but I gotta ask. Does anyone else suffer from chafing in/around their groin area when they hike when its warm? If so, any good solutions?

Take-a-knee
2006-04-02, 00:46
Yes, my fat-little legs rub together anytime I do any sort of cardio workout, running walking or whatever. I wear New Balance spandex shorts for working out and recently I've tried Underarmor's Boxer Briefs on a short (11m. in two days) hike and they worked great. They are snug enough so that the fabric (it is slick) and not my skin rubs as I walk, but they are not as snug as the spandex shorts. I think most Underarmor products are way overpriced but these shorts are the ticket for me.

oops56
2006-04-02, 00:47
Johnson& Johnson first aid cream i get it a lot in hot weather works good for me relief in few min. maybe little more but fast as it goes

Mutinousdoug
2006-04-02, 00:48
Chafing hasn't been much of a problem for me in Colorado, where the humidity lingers in the low teens, but you might try A&D ointment as a pre-emtive, or as we all did in SE Asia, ditch your underwear and give your boys some air.

jimtanker
2006-04-02, 08:51
I have the same problem. Doesnt matter how far I'm going or what the temp/humidity is. I wear spandex running shorts as noted above. Pack another pair. They are light and can be washed easily and dry quickly.

Seeker
2006-04-02, 18:11
A&D is good stuff, as is Desetin/Boudreaux's Butt Paste. i like A&D better because it doesn't smell like the cod liver oil in the two baby products.

in a pinch, neosporin works, as does chapstick (don't ask. but no, i don't have that tube anymore.) i've heard good things aboug a product called Body Glide, but haven't used it. and Vaseline is supposed be good too.

KLeth
2006-04-03, 01:50
Have that problem too - I hike in Nike or similar short running tights.
Exposed areas, I treat with a slightly disinfecting very fat cream.

If you're already bloody a product called "FeldenGel" can assist, but find something to chew on before applying. Afterwards treat with very fat (slightly disinfecting) cream. (In Nijmegen we could always hear loud howls when somebody had used the FeldenGel we had given them).

I have also with success used some tar-based cream used for babies with red bottoms :fisheye:

deadeye
2006-04-03, 10:10
I go with the tight shorts method, too. Either spandex running shorts, or synthetic stretchy boxer breifs. Either way works, and keeps the rubbing to cloth-on-cloth instead of skin-on-skin. Both are also just as effective for most of us as service-issue birth control glasses.

Jim Henderson
2006-04-03, 12:25
Usually I get chaffing or irritation in warm weather. I usually use a Jock Iitch spray which clears it up fairly quickly. This is not so much a problem of chaffing versus more heat and sweating causing my skin to be irritated.

I also have used, on my feet, a product called Body Glide, looks like underarm stick deodorant. It is meant to handle chaffing due to sports activities. Can be used anywhere that is being rubbed so probably fine for the groin. I got it at REI, and it is probably available elsewhere.

There are several similar products on the market and I recall a newspaper write up on them, forget which ones were best, but the Body Glide works fine for my feet.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Streamweaver
2006-04-03, 12:40
I get chaffing bad sometimes,like you said when it gets warmer the chaffing gets worse!! I found some stuff at Wally World called Udder cream. It comes in a tube that holds 4ounces Udder Cream (http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=79470&catid=10401&aid=333321&aparam=udder_cream) .The stuff was actually developed for dairy cows(I guess the milk sucker things chaffed their widdle udders!) It relly works well!!

john pickett
2006-04-03, 13:17
corn starch

John Pickett

Seeker
2006-04-03, 22:07
The stuff was actually developed for dairy cows(I guess the milk sucker things chaffed their widdle udders!) It relly works well!!

when the farmers wash and dry the teats for the 2x daily milking, some cows get 'chapped', like you get chapped lips or hands... (i had a roommate in college who was raised on a dairy farm... learned all kinds of useless info from him...)

and while we're discussing crossover medicines, that yellow stuff they smear on horse/cow wounds called Corona is really good on people cuts too... sort of a lanolin-like base (really sticky) with neosporin-ish stuff in it... sticks really well, as opposed to rubbing off...

bird dog
2006-04-03, 23:52
Seeker - My ex-wife used that "horse and mane" shampoo that is sold in the wal-mart in DeRidder by the gallon. She and your roomate probably would have gotten along much better than she and I did. BD

Iceman
2006-04-04, 01:56
when the farmers wash and dry the teats for the 2x daily milking, some cows get 'chapped', like you get chapped lips or hands... (i had a roommate in college who was raised on a dairy farm... learned all kinds of useless info from him...).

For chapped nipples, I prefer breast feeding nipple cream. :biggrin:

But thats enough of my personal life....

dropkick
2006-04-04, 03:20
For crotch chafing I like to go dry instead of wet (slick lotion down there always gives me an uncomfortable feeling - like I just had an accident in my pants). I wash and dry it well and use Goldbond medicated powder. -I also use it on my feet sometimes.

In a pinch I'll use cornstarch or rice flour.

Iceman
2006-04-04, 11:09
During my annual week long hunt, I am sure to wash daily, use a wet wipe occasionally to remove sweat, and powder up with tinactin type powder. I keep a tiny flip top vial of this powder in my pack all year, foot and groin protection...

Streamweaver
2006-04-04, 13:43
For crotch chafing I like to go dry instead of wet (slick lotion down there always gives me an uncomfortable feeling - like I just had an accident in my pants). I wash and dry it well and use Goldbond medicated powder. -I also use it on my feet sometimes.

In a pinch I'll use cornstarch or rice flour.

I know what you mean but the Udder cream isnt real oily like some creams so its not so bad. I tried Gold Bond before and it burnt like a *&^%$~~!! :bawling:

Hog On Ice
2006-04-04, 16:10
used the "extra strenght" Gold Bond in a green bottle huh Streamweaver

and yeah it warms you right up doesn't it

but not as bad as using hand santizing gel (don't try this for anything but the very earliest stages of chafing or if you have a thing for pain)

MacGyver
2006-04-04, 16:22
Good ol' Gold Bond. The green bottle does make for some interesting expressions, though. ;)

Regards,
-MacGyver
GA-->ME

Seeker
2006-04-04, 16:27
Seeker - My ex-wife used that "horse and mane" shampoo that is sold in the wal-mart in DeRidder by the gallon. She and your roomate probably would have gotten along much better than she and I did. BD

yeah... i know a lot of women who still use it... all horsewomen in knoxville... seems to be a common thing...

dropkick
2006-04-05, 02:27
I tried Gold Bond before and it burnt like a *&^%$~~!! :bawling:
Never used the green bottle always the gold. Sometimes it does sting a little bit though (always figured that meant it was working).

Now I'm going to tell you a cautionary tale:
Years ago I was working in a mexican restaurant. I was diceing jalapenos when I felt a need to visit the restroom. I left the kitchen and went out to the public restroom in the bar.
I didn't think to wash my hands before urinating.
- This is where it gets ugly - The pain brought tears to my eyes.
- This is where it gets ugly and stupid - I reached up with my other hand and wiped the tears from my eyes.
I was now blinded and in pain, bouncing off the walls with a very important part of my anatomy hanging out my pants.
Luckily I wasn't interrupted, and found the sink before things got worse.

Iceman
2006-04-05, 02:57
Oy' vay!

Salvelinus
2006-04-05, 23:01
ROTFL!!!

That's one of the funniest things I've heard in a long time . . . :D

KLeth
2006-04-06, 02:11
Poor Dropkick, that sounds real nasty. - Thus funny.

The same thing has been known to happen with extra strong Tiger Balm and Midalgan Extra Warm (strong chamfer). . . Last mentioned also contains traces of morphine to draw more blood to affected areas.

dropkick
2006-04-06, 06:38
Poor Dropkick, that sounds real nasty. - Thus funny.

The same thing has been known to happen with extra strong Tiger Balm and Midalgan Extra Warm (strong chamfer). . . Last mentioned also contains traces of morphine to draw more blood to affected areas.
A cautionary tip:
If your friend throws a glob of Icy Hot (similar to above) across the locker room and it sticks to your crotch don't try to wash it off. It only makes it hotter.

P.S. above lesson learned in high school wrestling
P.P.S. Any women who read the tip might not understand the "friend" part. But they should know that among men a friend is more likely to do something like this to you, than an enemy.

Mostly Cloudy
2006-04-06, 11:04
For prevention, I like Sport Shield.

http://www.blistershield.com/products.html

For cure, Bag Balm.

http://www.bagbalm.com/

Verlager
2006-04-11, 13:27
P.P.S. Any women who read the tip might not understand the "friend" part. But they should know that among men a friend is more likely to do something like this to you, than an enemy.
If you milk a cow, you'll get 3 gallons of milk, but if you milk a bull, you'll get a friend for life.

If a baby poops in his Huggies or Luvs, you still hug him and you still love him. But if GrandPa soils his Depends, whether or not you still love him or hug him depends on whether or not you're in his Will.

Kea
2006-04-11, 22:54
I have yet to enjoy a good chafe, but I also wear my spandex under my hiking pants, so when I zip the lower legs off I'm still not exposed to the sun. :)

Now the thing that really gets me is when I am done hiking for the day and the sweat residue makes me break out in a rash. Only way out of that is to douse myself with water to wash the stuff off. :(

dropkick
2006-04-12, 02:16
Now the thing that really gets me is when I am done hiking for the day and the sweat residue makes me break out in a rash. Only way out of that is to douse myself with water to wash the stuff off. :(
Heat rash is no fun. If I'm around water I wash morning and evening.
If I'm not I use homemade baby wipes;
I cut paper towels in half, then fold the pieces in half, and stack them.
Then I soak them in a cider vinegar/water mix, press down to sqweeze out the excess and load them into a pint ziplock.

The vinegar makes them antiseptic but it won't dry the skin like alcohol (actually good for it) and there is no fear of creating super bacteria as the bugs don't develop an immunity to this. The water cuts the vinegar smell some.

After use the vinegar smell only lingers for a short time before disapating.

--I do put these in my bear bag as I don't know if it will attract bears or not, but why take chances? --Regular wipes will.

Kea
2006-04-12, 15:09
No, not heat rash. THAT"S easy to deal with. I literally experience a rash from the salts in my sweat and have ever since my liver failed. My skin is so sensitive that I can't even use sunscreens.

We're having a lot of fun over here.

dropkick
2006-04-13, 01:42
No, not heat rash. THAT"S easy to deal with. I literally experience a rash from the salts in my sweat and have ever since my liver failed.
Kea,
That's what heat rash is. A rash from the salt drying on your skin. It damages the top layer of skin and traps new sweat under the skin, causing small bumps. When they burst releasing the sweat, that causes the itching, stinging sensation.
It's also called prickly heat or miliaria.

If you can't wash often, using some form of body powder* can help with prevention and relief. Don't use a lotion as it can make it worse.

*Gold Bond, baby powder, talcum, rice flour, cornstarch, arrowroot powder, fuller's earth, etc. - if they contain menthol or camphor they are better for heat rash, as it cools the skin.

Streamweaver
2006-04-13, 11:20
used the "extra strenght" Gold Bond in a green bottle huh Streamweaver

and yeah it warms you right up doesn't it

but not as bad as using hand santizing gel (don't try this for anything but the very earliest stages of chafing or if you have a thing for pain)

Yup!! I learnt me lesson on that one!!! :biggrin:

Jim Henderson
2006-04-13, 12:53
Yeah a freind of our the family borrowed my Gold Bond, gold bottle, for similar reasons and she got a surprise. I like the stuff but it does make things a bit minty cool to start.

We make a menthol and camphor based gel for pain relief for a private lable customer of ours. The last batch was new and stronger and the customer was here trying it out. I actually think this batch is way too strong since it makes my hand knuckles ache like they are frozen, but old people love it. Before he left, he went to the restoom. This stuff takes about 10 minutes for the full effect to settle in and it takes several hours to wear out even if you wash. So on his way home from our place we got a very interesting call.

I have done similar stunts after chopping Habaneros, yes they are hot.

So yes, if you use any of those pain relieving balms or cut peppers etc, watch where you put your hands.

Those hand sanitizers are mostly alcohol so they are not real good on irritated skin.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Kea
2006-04-13, 23:18
Kea,
That's what heat rash is. A rash from the salt drying on your skin. It damages the top layer of skin and traps new sweat under the skin, causing small bumps. When they burst releasing the sweat, that causes the itching, stinging sensation.
It's also called prickly heat or miliaria.

OH! I thought heat rash was something more aggravating. I used to get something that looked like pimples that everyone called heat rash. What I get now is just the burning, which I go to great pains to stop ASAP by washing the salt off my face and arms. I just thought this was some weird manifestation of my extraordinary sensitivity to...everything.

A non-hiking friend wondered out loud why I always pick the pursuits most likely to do stuff like this to me.

dropkick
2006-04-14, 01:57
OH! I thought heat rash was something more aggravating. I used to get something that looked like pimples that everyone called heat rash. What I get now is just the burning, which I go to great pains to stop ASAP by washing the salt off my face and arms. I just thought this was some weird manifestation of my extraordinary sensitivity to...everything.

A non-hiking friend wondered out loud why I always pick the pursuits most likely to do stuff like this to me.
Because it's FUN!

After some thought, and a little bit of reading, I have a couple more things you could try:

You might try a different laundry detergent, some people develop a skin irritation from the left over soap when it mixes with their sweat.
You can also try adding a 1/2 to 1 cup of vinegar to the wash, this helps the detergent to dissolve so there isn't as much residue left in the clothes (I do this myself - I have hard water, and my detergent doesn't like to dissolve).

You might also try wearing cotton or cotton blend clothes, as your skin might not like synthetics, and this can lead to irritation when you sweat.