PDA

View Full Version : Classic books -- Kephart et al

fieldcraftsman
2006-04-02, 05:41
Seeing the discussion of the Complete Walker made me want to dig out some of the classics that I have in my collection, like "Camping and Woodcraft" by Horace Kephart and of course "Woodcraft and Camping " by Nessmuk. They are just great works. As I think others on other threads have observed, technology has pretty much outmoded things like Miller frying pans having to be strapped to the backpack or woolen sleeping bags. But so much of the stuff is timeless, like on firemaking, etc. -- even for that matter, the stuff on gear, such as Kephart's comment on frying pans: "The frying pan handle is a perennial problem. If detachable, it is likely to get lost." Yep. :biggrin:

Take-a-knee
2006-04-02, 15:17
Bradford Angier's "How to Stay Alive in the Woods" is another classic.

fieldcraftsman
2006-04-02, 19:18
Bradford Angier's "How to Stay Alive in the Woods" is another classic.

I think that I had that one when I was kid....isn't that the one where he's got quotes from old Mounties and Hudson's Bay Company guys and stuff? If so, it was great.

Actually, another great one I have is Daniel Beard's "Shelters, Shacks and Shanties." He starts off with using balsam as your bedding and goes all the way up to building a full cabin (maybe a little tricky these days wha with forestry regulations and rangers and stuff). Wondefully written too...