PDA

View Full Version : Old Geezer's Gear

KBob
2006-04-03, 18:54
Anybody know of a site that has a forums for us old geezers? I went the ultra route, hated it my pack weight was low but I missed things like coffee, a decent light, a book to read, camp shoes, a pack that didn't feel like a sauna. Now I have my old pack (1980) on a new frame, external of course, a water filter, a coleman featherweight stove, a water filter, a knife that has a real blade ("now thats a knife") a flask of snake bite medicine, a wooden walking staff, yes i have some liteweight gear, by Hennessy, Snowpeak, New Balance, but while many eat corn pasta I am eating mac and cheese with tuna, Jim Beam and filtered water, Just my two cents.

bird dog
2006-04-03, 23:59
KBoB- I dont know of any sites off the top of my head, but I think you are still in the right place. The most important thing on this site is that each member "hike thier own hike". I like your attitude. Keep hiking. BD

Mutinousdoug
2006-04-04, 00:26
KBob,
You trade in that Jim Beam for some single malt or straight Irish whiskey, and you and I could hike the same planet! Oh, and I light my campfires with a Costa Rican or equivalent cigar whenever possible. :captain:
MutinousDoug

Mutinousdoug
2006-04-04, 00:29
AND,
You're mighty old to be out in the woods by yourself without adult supervision...

KBob
2006-04-04, 08:23
Mdog; remember you are only young once but you are never too old to act inmature.

Kea
2006-04-04, 22:16
Anybody know of a site that has a forums for us old geezers? I went the ultra route, hated it my pack weight was low but I missed things like coffee, a decent light, a book to read, camp shoes, a pack that didn't feel like a sauna. Now I have my old pack (1980) on a new frame, external of course, a water filter, a coleman featherweight stove, a water filter, a knife that has a real blade ("now thats a knife") a flask of snake bite medicine, a wooden walking staff, yes i have some liteweight gear, by Hennessy, Snowpeak, New Balance, but while many eat corn pasta I am eating mac and cheese with tuna, Jim Beam and filtered water, Just my two cents.

Well I'm not much of an ultralighter. My gear is a hodgepodge, with my new purchases tending toward either affordable ultra gear or toward keeping me dry. I like technical clothing, because it is light and dries fast, but there's a limit to what I'll spend, versus creature comforts. Welcome to the forum.

Pappyhighlife
2006-04-06, 13:42
KBob
Your pack rig sounds exactly like mine, except I like to take along some John Daniels. Most folks say Jack, but when you know him as well as I do we just call him "John Daniels"
Coming up on the big 53 this year and I still carry my large ALICE, it has served me well over the years. Sometime in May I will be in your great State.
At my tender age I enjoy hiking the Ellicott Trail AKA Rain Forest. I like the terrain, no major inclines, Beau Coup clean water and excellent camp locations. I want to do 3 nights and 4 days. 15 miles in and 15 out
My base pack includes: the HH Poncho and liner, Kelty Noah tarp, Pocket Rocket stove, MSR water filter, food and a small kitchen.About 35 to 40 lbs. I eat mostly MRE's and freeze dried, but this trip should yield some tasty trout for me and my 9 year old grandson.
Also I am considering spending some of the grandsons inheritance money and buying one of dem new fangled Coleman exponent F-1 lights that runs off my stove cartridge. Might see ya out there. Can always tell me by my bald cue ball head and Miss ALICE is always on my back.

Later Pappy......

Take-a-knee
2006-04-06, 15:07
Pappy, I'd reccomend a good(Princeton or Petzal) LED headlamp over that lantern. A buddy of mine killed a bear in N GA a couple of years ago and I gutted it out in the dark and we dragged it over a mile to the truck. Nothing else you can carry will provide that much light for that long, some of the LED lights run 40hrs on on set of batteries, even longer with lithiums, which I reccomend. Those little coleman lanterns, I have the small white gas model, don't put out much light. I leave mine in my truck. If you want to camp light to sit around and chat with a friend, build a fire, it doesn't weigh a thing.

Pappyhighlife
2006-04-06, 16:51
Take a Knee, you are so right I do have a headlamp (LED)
We are looking at this Coleman Exponet F 1 because we currently use the small backback candle lantern just for camp light. Even when we all hang our lanterns it's still not really enough camp light. We just use them around the camp kitchen or the gear packs, the kids when I bring them like them in their tents, hanging from a long chain and it helps keep away some of the insects.

Down on the Ellicott for example it rains if not every day, every other day, so fires are often out of the picture.
But I was reading a review of the Coleman over at the backbacker gear review and the testers seemed quite impressed with it.

It's priced around $ 36.00 the majors like Cabella and Campmor don't carry it yet. I might wait a bit more.

john pickett
2006-04-07, 11:33
Pappy,
Here's an alternative to a liqid fuel lantern.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/riverrock_lantern.htm
John Pickett

john pickett
2006-04-07, 11:40
Here's another
http://ledmuseum.candlepower.us/fourth/osramgdl.htm
Happy Camping,
John Pickett

Pappyhighlife
2006-04-07, 15:01
Thanks John,

Interesting lights. As we always carry lots of batteries.
Hard to believe the strong light output from these small units. Gonna check with Targets.

Thanks again.