PDA

View Full Version : MSR Stowaway pot

dropkick
2006-04-06, 07:37
In the weight cutting fight I'm going backwards in one way and forwards in another.

I was at REI today (looking a frisbees) and I bought a stainless steel pot. It weighs more than my old aluminum pot, but I can do away with a lexan container and cozy that I carried for my food to cook in. So it might balance out.

I bought the MSR Stowaway pot for $16.95, it weighs 15.5 oz., is 1.1 liter (aprox. 1 qt.) and has a handle that turns into a lid lock.

For some reason the REI site isn't working tonight, but if you want a look, here's a link:
www.msrcorp.com/cookware/stowaway_pots.asp

As I am now mostly using the cozy method of making one pot meals, I think this will work great. I'll boil the water, add the ingredients, then lock the lid, and wrap it in a towel/shirt/etc. When the food is done I'll just eat from the pot.

Now if they'd just make it in aluminum (I'm too cheap to buy titanium).

Take-a-knee
2006-04-06, 10:09
I bought one of those Snow Peak titanium 24oz cup/mugs at REI and I finally used it on a trip last week. I think it was about $30. It is worth every cent. The lid has two hooks that engage the cups' rim, opposite these hooks is a tab that you can engage with your thumb. Between the two "rim hooks" is a slot cut into the lid. All this enables you to pick up the cup by the folding handles, hook your thumb over the tab, and drain your pasta...with ONE HAND. It makes for a hot hand without a bandanna but I've done it after a boil with no blisters ( I forgot my bandanna).

My wife came home with a 16oz ziploc bowl(blue lid, clear bowl) that has a screw on lid and must weigh less than an ounce. It is now securely in my possesion. I need to make a cozy for it.

Iceman
2006-04-06, 11:15
Dropkick, I like the length of the handle on that pot. Might be able to push the pot into the flames of a small fire, without melting something, even your knuckles...

KBob
2006-04-06, 14:25
Is it leak proof? If so a ggod way to rehydrate dried fruit, veggies in the pot in the pack while walking.

Take-a-knee
2006-04-06, 14:43
Kbob I'm assuming you are asking if the little ziploc bowl is leakproof. I'm guessing that it is, I have to test it. I just poured boiling water into it and it appears no worse for wear and the lid still screws on so apparently it didn't deform. I will put cold water into it and invert it to check for leaks.

Lanthar
2006-04-06, 19:05
Dropkick,

How well does that pot seal when you lock it?

I assume it's enough to prevent 'sloshing' leaks but not enough to prevent 'tipping it upside down' leaks?

dropkick
2006-04-07, 02:33
Dropkick,

How well does that pot seal when you lock it?

I assume it's enough to prevent 'sloshing' leaks but not enough to prevent 'tipping it upside down' leaks?
You nailed it.
Tested it with water. I filled it about 3/4 full, latched down the lid, and then I tried all kinds of movements, no leaks.
But when I put it on it's side or turned it completely upside down after a short while it started to drip.
I think if I do any rehydrating I'll use a twist tie plastic bag and then put it in the pot for protection.

Hmmm... just thought, if I decided to cook on the go, I could bring an oven bag and wrap the pot in it before putting it in a cozy in my pack, that way I wouldn't have to worry about heat and plastic bags, and I'd be protected from drips. Heck, maybe I'll just add an oven bag to my kit and use it as a pan cover to protect my pack from soot if I decide to cook with the pot over a woodfire.

Seeker
2006-04-07, 10:45
You nailed it.
Tested it with water. I filled it about 3/4 full, latched down the lid, and then I tried all kinds of movements, no leaks.
But when I put it on it's side or turned it completely upside down after a short while it started to drip.
I think if I do any rehydrating I'll use a twist tie plastic bag and then put it in the pot for protection.

Hmmm... just thought, if I decided to cook on the go, I could bring an oven bag and wrap the pot in it before putting it in a cozy in my pack, that way I wouldn't have to worry about heat and plastic bags, and I'd be protected from drips. Heck, maybe I'll just add an oven bag to my kit and use it as a pan cover to protect my pack from soot if I decide to cook with the pot over a woodfire.

what if you put teflon pipe tape aropund the threaded portion? would that help seal it? or even plastic wrap might work... less durable though...

dropkick
2006-04-08, 03:41
My lid just clamps down, no threads. Did try putting a plastic bag over the top before clamping the lid though - just made for slower leaks - promising though, maybe I can come up with some sort of gasket.
To bad they dont make a pot with a screw on lid.
...Liability issues though... lots of dumb people might try to cook with it closed... BOOM
I remember when you did something stupid and it was your own fault. (now I'm feeling old) The blamers/excusers/suers/safety first have killed some good products and took a lot of joy out of life though.

First we kill the lawyers.

Lanthar
2006-04-08, 13:19
My lid just clamps down, no threads. Did try putting a plastic bag over the top before clamping the lid though - just made for slower leaks - promising though, maybe I can come up with some sort of gasket.
To bad they dont make a pot with a screw on lid.
...Liability issues though... lots of dumb people might try to cook with it closed... BOOM
I remember when you did something stupid and it was your own fault. (now I'm feeling old) The blamers/excusers/suers/safety first have killed some good products and took a lot of joy out of life though.

First we kill the lawyers.

someone comes close (http://www.gsioutdoors.com/Products/Cookware/HardAnodized/40500.html)... but it's definitely not lite...

dropkick
2006-04-09, 02:14
someone comes close (http://www.gsioutdoors.com/Products/Cookware/HardAnodized/40500.html)... but it's definitely not lite...
Heard of these before. I understand that big time mountain climbers use them. Because when you get too high up, and the air pressure drops, water boils at too low a temperature, and you can't cook your meals. Have to use a pressure cooker.

I'd like to find any type of metal container that holds around 1 qt. has a screw on (water tight) lid. -And is safe to cook in.

Until I do, I'm sticking with my new pot.
(and possibly creating a heat resistant, food safe lid gasket)
...leather?? Gasket material at auto parts store???

deadeye
2006-04-09, 21:34
I've been using the ziplock bowls (rubbermaid, glad have similar products) for a few years for rehydrating food (bulgur wheat, fruit, etc.) as I hike. Haven't had one leak yet, but I do take a lot of care when packing the bowl to give it a decent chance of staying upright, and usually stuff it in a baggie, too. I don't understand why I'd be paranoid about gooey fruit all over my sleeping bag. Even on those occassions where I was careless, no leaks. Knock on trees.