PDA

View Full Version : Baby bottle for alcohol?

dropkick
2006-04-07, 02:43
I was thinking about getting a baby bottle and using it for packing my stove fuel. What's your thoughts?

Seeker
2006-04-07, 10:43
I was thinking about getting a baby bottle and using it for packing my stove fuel. What's your thoughts?

you do get those cool increments on the side, and if you replace the nipple with a solid cover like they have, it would work... i'd be a little concerned with the weight, since i use a soda bottle... i'm sure it would be heavier, but if it were only an ounce, it might not be so bad.

so, do you plan to get the one with the teddy bears on the side? or do you like the disney babies one better? personally, i'm partial to the baby sesame street gang... (now, if they came in the 'evil ernie' or 'evil bert' line, THAT would be funny...)

deadeye
2006-04-07, 13:38
I think you've about said it all.

Iceman
2006-04-07, 23:13
" I don't know how the mixup happened, but the baby blew flames out his mouth, and my stove ran like shitt."

Mutinousdoug
2006-04-07, 23:31
Baby bottle or no, I have trouble with alcohol dribbling all over when poured. Wide mouth is worse than small mouth and squeeze bottles are best of all but a pain to refill.
In another winter or so, I should have one of those tilt up measuring things that gasoline stabilizer comes in. That probably spills all over too. OTOH I just found it in my garage and think it should last 2 more winters, at least. DANG!
Trying to pour a measured amount into your stove is the most wasteful part of using the stuff. Most dangerous too unless you are using one of those pressurized stoves like opps56 and Incognito sometimes fool around with.
Or the Svea that Oops found on Ebay.

Seeker
2006-04-08, 01:16
i don't know what you use, but i just use an old 12 or 20 oz water or soda bottle for my fuel. i use the cap to measure and three caps full is roughly 3/4 of an ounce... two caps is just shy of a half oz... i don't have too much of a mess when i pour all that into my ion stove... i messed around with a syringe at one time, but it's not worth the weight... caps are close enough and get the job done.

Hog On Ice
2006-04-08, 12:47
what I use is a small ~1 oz capacity plastic bottle that originally held a sample of hand lotion - its small flat shape lets me pour the alcohol smoothly into the burner sitting on the ground or table. As for measuring - not a problem - one tea light candle tin _full_ is the measurement - ie measure right in the burner. When I am done cooking I refill the small bottle from a larger bottle of alcohol and I am all ready for the next time. I do sometimes spill a little but a quick wipe with a bandana takes care of it - better to wipe it up than to burn my windscreen.

dropkick
2006-04-09, 03:23
you do get those cool increments on the side, and if you replace the nipple with a solid cover like they have, it would work... i'd be a little concerned with the weight, since i use a soda bottle... i'm sure it would be heavier, but if it were only an ounce, it might not be so bad.

so, do you plan to get the one with the teddy bears on the side? or do you like the disney babies one better? personally, i'm partial to the baby sesame street gang... (now, if they came in the 'evil ernie' or 'evil bert' line, THAT would be funny...)

" I don't know how the mixup happened, but the baby blew flames out his mouth, and my stove ran like shitt."

I'm kind of partial to Bambi as he is on my favorite set of sheets.
We didn't get Sesame Street. We had 2 channels off air. (3 when I was older) Never got attached to Bert and Ernie and never bought their sheets.

Am planning on sticking this on it. Just in case I'm groggy and confused.
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-3/1165284/Skull_and_crossbonesCOLOR.jpg
Made it myself!!! (Best computer drawing I've ever done)
Was going to put "alcohol stove fuel" on it, but a few of my friends play rugby and the word "alcohol" might get them too excited and they'd miss the poison part.

incognito
2006-04-09, 16:53
I think the baby bottle will make an excellent fuel bottle because:

Most if not all a made of polycarbonate(Lexan)

The nipple can be used as an accurate fill devise.

The nipple can be inverted into the bottle, the cover screwed on and sealed thus providing a place to store until needed. The nipple opening can be enlarged with a heated finishing nail or needle.

They are slender to fit in little nooks and crannies

Now let see who has it in them to use one :biggrin:

By the way!!!! They can be sterilized in a pressure cooker.

Be sure to use a nice custom lable like Dropkicks or the free ones listed somewhere in one of the forums that i listed.

Lanthar
2006-04-10, 10:58
Now let see who has it in them to use one :biggrin:

Hmm... I wonder if the wife would get mad at me if I 're-purposed' one of Caleb's (due this week *crosses fingers*) when he's no longer using them? He got the fancy angled ones for a shower gift (probably make it easier to 'aim')

incognito
2006-04-10, 21:15
Lanthar, she won't get mad, go for it, Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained :biggrin:

Seeker
2006-04-11, 17:35
Lanthar, she won't get mad, go for it, Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained :biggrin:

DON'T DO IT LANTHAR!!! IT'S A TRAP!!!

shame on you Incognito! setting the poor guy up like that... a pregnant woman is a time bomb... you never know what's going to set her off... :biggrin:

incognito
2006-04-11, 19:23
Lanthar----Lanthar-----Lanthar

Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained!!!!!!!!!!

(when he's no longer using them? ) this is the part that takes you all the way to the bank and get a free fuel bottle :dancing2:

They make nice fuel bottles Lanthar!!!!!!! Go for It :damnmate:

SEEEEKER!!!!!!!! you're right !@#$%^& I'm bad, bad, bad. :bawling:

Salvelinus
2006-04-11, 22:32

Hehehe . . . :D

One way I made things easier on myself was to mark the inner wall of the pepsi stove I use. I carefully measured 1/2 TBS increments into the stove, then used a needle to carefully scratch the aluminum at the level of the liquid. That allows me to use a flip-top squirt bottle to fill the stove. The cap unscrews to allow me to refill it with a funnel.

Kea
2006-04-12, 00:06
DON'T DO IT LANTHAR!!! IT'S A TRAP!!!

shame on you Incognito! setting the poor guy up like that... a pregnant woman is a time bomb... you never know what's going to set her off... :biggrin:

This is not essentially true, Seeker. Anyone who is the least bit observant would realize that EVERYTHING sets off a pregnant woman.

My husband is a saint, BTW. He survived all 4 pregnancies. The worst part of being pregnant was that people got twitchy about the guns and explosives use. Honestly, I never got that part....

:dancing2:

Seeker
2006-04-12, 13:56
This is not essentially true, Seeker. Anyone who is the least bit observant would realize that EVERYTHING sets off a pregnant woman.

touche'...