PDA

View Full Version : HH Stock Fly Vs. Hex Fly

dgrav
2006-04-12, 09:43
Hello,

I am about to purchase two HH Hammocks. An ULTRALITE BACKPACKER A-SYM for my wife and a EXPLORER ULTRALITE A-SYM for me.

I am torn between going with the standard fly or the free substitution of the Silnylon Hex fly.

I know that the hex fly provides more coverage at the expense of additional weight and a more complex set up.

Plus the gear junkie in me is considering purchasing a couple the JRB 8x8 tarps in the future for when I want the most coverage with the least amount of weight.

Decisions decisions.............

Thanks!

txulrich
2006-04-12, 09:55
Just to confuse things a little bit more, take a look at the MacCat tarps from OES.

http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/why_maccat.htm

All of these are quality choices, so no matter which way you go, you won't be dissapointed.

peter_pan
2006-04-12, 13:38
Hello,

I am about to purchase two HH Hammocks. An ULTRALITE BACKPACKER A-SYM for my wife and a EXPLORER ULTRALITE A-SYM for me.

I am torn between going with the standard fly or the free substitution of the Silnylon Hex fly.

I know that the hex fly provides more coverage at the expense of additional weight and a more complex set up.

Plus the gear junkie in me is considering purchasing a couple the JRB 8x8 tarps in the future for when I want the most coverage with the least amount of weight.

Decisions decisions.............

Thanks!

Careful here...Unless Tom has changed The free substitute is 1.9 oz urathane coated nylon and weighs something like 1 lb 8 oz , cost is $59 if purchased separately... the silnyl hex is about a pound but costs in the neighborhood of $130...

Pan

Just Jeff
2006-04-12, 16:58
I'd definitely recommend one of the larger tarps. You can make do with the stock tarp, but it's not very comfortable if you're doing anything more than sleeping. I'm happy with both the JRB 8x8 and MacCat Standard, and haven't tried the larger HH flies.

dgrav
2006-04-12, 19:52
Doh! Peter Pan is correct there is a difference in price for the Sil Nylon Hex. (why do I so often read what my mind wants instead of whats there???)

OK, I will be purchasing an after market tarp. Now the choice is between a hex, cant, square or rectangle..........................

Simplicity of use followed by weight are my drivers.

john pickett
2006-04-13, 14:34
DGRAV,
Have you ever considered a simple piece of Tyvek home wrap? I use a 10' by 10' square pitched diamond style over my hammock. I bought it from Rainmaker at Trailquest a few years ago. Ran it through a commercial washer- Cool water, no soap- a couple of times to soften it and reduce the tendency to rattle in the wind. I've read tyvek isn't supposed to be waterproof, but when the rain has fallen , I've stayed dry under this tarp. I use cheap polypro rope attached with a sheetbend knot to the tarp.
Regards,
John Pickett

Seeker
2006-04-13, 16:19
Simplicity of use followed by weight are my drivers.

i'd say an 8x8 square used diagonally would be your best bet then... you will only need to tie it to the trees and have one corner left on each side to tie out (4 points)... if you pitch it a-frame style, you'll have at least 6 tie points vs 4... same with a hex. 'diamond' style saves you 2 stakes and 2 cords.

dgrav
2006-04-14, 09:47
OK, I just placed my order!

1 Ultralight Backpacker, 1 Explorer Ultralight and Snake skins from HH.

Plus I order a Silnylon tarp, two sets of tensioners, and a gear hammock from JRB.

Once I have everything I'll see how the JRB tarp covers the Explorer if it provides the cover I want I'll order a second one for hte Backpacker. If I still want something larger I'll find another solution for the Explorer and use the JRB on the Backpacker.

One final question does the JRB tarp come with main tarp lines? If not any recomondations on what works well and where to get it?

Thanks for all the advice. This is a great forum.

Just Jeff
2006-04-14, 11:36
When you get the JRB tensioners, just look at what kind of cord that is and find something similar for the main lines...doesn't have to be anything fancy. Or if you really want lightweight (and want to pay for it) check out the Air Core stuff at www.backpackinglight.com.

GregH
2006-04-14, 17:50
On my second HH I substituted the Hex Fly and like it a lot - even with the added weight. It serves well to provide a covered "room" outside of your hammock when you lift it up and tie into neighboring trees. It's great for when the rain comes and you want to cook or at least get out of the hammock for a bit.
I recommend Kelty Trip-Tease for guylines. They have a reflective thread woven in which really lights up at night.

Just Jeff
2006-04-15, 00:57
I recommend Kelty Trip-Tease for guylines. They have a reflective thread woven in which really lights up at night.

I hear it's great for finding your camp after a midnight break, but makes flash pictures look like a Star Wars battle is going on. Reflects like the reflective strips in my running shoes...sometimes I have to crop the bottom of the picture!

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they're not satisfied with the TripTease, either - good suggestion, IMO (not that you needed my approval...just saying).

Seeker
2006-04-15, 13:24
i used to use the kelty triptease, but found that it was too easy to be seen when ALL my tie outs were made from it... i hike alone a lot, in an area used heavily by my local redneck brethren... (there isn't anywhere else to go...) i try to stay 'hid' as best i can at night, and found that the yellow/reflective triptease just made me stand out... so i've gone back to a thin nylon cord for tieouts, and just two pieces of black reflective line at the ridgeline... enough to see by if i wander that far away at night, but no so much that it lights up like a laser show... triptease is good, strong stuff. i just didn't like that much reflecting.

dgrav
2006-04-18, 10:12
The two hammocks and 100ft of Air Core showed up on my door step yesterday. I was shocked the hammocks showed up so fast. They were ordered Friday morning with three day shipping but the website says to not start counting until the next business day. I didn't expect them until the end of the week

I setup one of the hammocks in a friends backyard last night but the trees were way to close for a good pitch.

Tonight we're going up to an old camp north of Washington's Crossing to give them a real test

GregH
2006-04-18, 21:54
Yeah, a friend of mine calls it "Kelty Strip-Tease" because of the light show! :biggrin: